Towing a Prius

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

TomLong

Towing a Prius

Post by TomLong »

I have just registered and would like to ask a question. I am due to pick up my 2008 BF 27RB at the factory April 27th and was told by u haul that I could not rent a tow dolly for my Prius. The dealership says it is ok to tow a prius with the front wheels up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
iowaride

towing

Post by iowaride »

http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/

This link takes you to an on-line magazine with a link to a dinghy towing article on its front page toward the right margin, includes a listing of the various 2009 models of cars that are towable and possible restrictions, pages 20-26. Other model years are available as well on that same front page link.

Sharon Harrington
2002 24RB no tow, only bikes
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Get something in writing (Owner's Manual, technical bulletin or letter, etc.) from Toyota saying that it is OK to tow your Prius either four down on on a dolly, otherwise they may not stand behind your new car warranty, especially on the tranny. Only an oral OK from the dealership would not be enough for me.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
mquade

Towing a Prius

Post by mquade »

We towed our new Prius on a tow dolly from North Carolina to Wisconsin with no problems, three years ago. Still have the Prius and going strong. Miles
GKarschnick

Post by GKarschnick »

I have a prius also and would love to tow it, but not at the expense of dragging a tow dolly around. A few Prius owners are using dollies, but I'm happier dragging my wife's Honda 4-wheels down.
RVN4US

Post by RVN4US »

This post was removed by RVN4US........
Last edited by RVN4US on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Tom Long,

I must be wrong because I thought that the only way to use a Prius as a dingy was to put it on a trailer because it needed to have all four wheels off the ground in order to tow it. Something about electric motors tied to each of the 4 wheels all the time as I remember.

But evidently poster mquade was able to tow his Prius using a tow dolly with only the front wheel off the ground. If I were you I would check your owners manual to be sure about this. There should be a section in it titled RV Towing or Recreation Vehicle Towing or similar that should discuss the proper way to tow your Prius.

You might want to check out the posts on this subject at this internet address: http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-modif ... my-rv.html
Last edited by whemme on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
TomLong

Towing Prius

Post by TomLong »

Thanks for all the replys/information. Guess I will tow home with four wheels up and decide on the tow dolly later.

Can't wait to pickup the Born Free
mquade

Towing a Prius

Post by mquade »

To clarify, on a Prius there is nothing driving the rear wheels. The rear axle is similar to a trailer axle. Just two wheels at each end.
dowellcj

Towing a Prius

Post by dowellcj »

The owner's manual for my 2008 Prius states:

"Never tow this vehicle from the front with the rear wheels on the ground. This may cause serious damage to the transmission."

Two pages later it states: "Never tow this vehicle with any of the wheels in contact with the ground".

Our understanding is that although it is not a rear wheel drive car, the rear wheels are involved in the battery recharging system, and there is potential damage to this when towing.

So, we happily use our Prius around home, and tow a Subaru Outback. The Outback makes a great toad!

Enjoy your new Born Free!
Caryl & Tom Dowell
Sequim, WA
2015 Splendor (27 RSB)
Prior coach 2008 24RB
TomLong

Towing a Prius

Post by TomLong »

On page 182 of my 2008 Prius Owner's Manuel it states:
"Your vehicle is not designed to be dinghy towed (with 4 wheels on the ground) behind a motor home."

I guess it comes down to owner's choice.

Thanks for all the replys and opinions. [/b]

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”