Blow-out on I-5!

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Fourwinds

Blow-out on I-5!

Post by Fourwinds »

Hey Jake,
thanks for that info. Is new news to me.
I'm taking the BF in to an RV shop today to have a new mud flap installed. I'm hoping they can match the Born Free standard equipment.

I do have the metal air stem extensions. After we re-gain our financial balance a bit, after paying for all the trip expenses and repairs, I'll get serious about making that decision on brand of tire for replacement. I'm a strange guy when it comes to such decisions ~ always wanting to make the best decision; always fearful of making a wrong one. From these posts, however, it seems there are several brands I can safely choose from. I'm willing to pay more, if that "more" would mean greater guarantee of a safe ride and/or longer tire life. I doubt the longer tire life now, after absorbing various information on the 5 year tire life being pretty much the standard for RV's.

I'm still puzzling over Bill's comments about a "F" (higher) ply rated tire giving a rougher ride. I don't deny that (as if I knew enough to argue such points); but the concept sounds good, adding greater protection and possible some extended tire life; but I'm wondering if new shocks would help offset the otherwise rougher ride? In my ignorance, I don't know if better shocks give a "smoother" ride (possibly quieter?) or just greater stability? I'm guessing greater stability; perhaps less sway or something like that - although I'm not aware of sway. But we sure do have the rattles in our Born Free. I'm trying to work on that in improved packing and storage, wrapping of lawn chairs, etc. Given our increasingly BAD highway conditions in "poor California," once you reach a section of highway that is smooth, the sudden quietness is most enjoyable! :)

It just still seems to my thinking that the BF's should be made with larger tires.

Jess
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
2002 Born Free, 26 ft rsb
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Jess, not knowing the mileage on your coach, but it being a 2002, if you still have the oem shocks I would consider replacing them. I don't think you can go wrong with either Bilsteins (the comfort model) or Koni's. I have had both and my personal preference are Koni. Along with the ride quality they are also adjustable. They are pricey but are warrantied for as long as you own your coach. http://www.konirv.com/warranty.html As for tires, I have the Michelin LTX M/S on our coach.
Last edited by Mel Wilbur on Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mel & Connie
Fourwinds

Blow-out on I-5!

Post by Fourwinds »

Thanks for the name of the shocks. I had forgotten them. Appreciate the personal appraisal and the tires you chose.

I've thought about asking Oprah what she would do, but then I figured, "shucks, she'd buy a new coach every 5000 miles, rather than replace tires." :lol:
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
whemme

Post by whemme »

Jess,

The reason for my comment about a load range F rated tire giving a harsher ride vs a load range E tire is because the F rating means a tire constructed with the equivalent of 12 plies vs 10 plies for an E rated tire. These two extra plies, while meaning a tire of more robust construction, also means it will have a stiffer side wall which will cause the ride to be harsher when the tire is carrying a load that is quite a bit lower than it is rated for which would be the case in your intended use.

Actually, I did a brief seach for tires with a F load rating in the size LT225/75R16 on your Born Free and I could not find any. I think in order to get an F rated tire you would probably have to go to a much larger tire probably in the 19.5" rim size and I really doubt that size tire would fit in the Born Free wheel well.

If you want a really heavy duty tire, I think your best choice would probably be the Michelin XPS Rib tire available in the size LT225/75R16. This tire is heavy being constructed with steel belts in both the tread and side wall areas and was designed mostly for commercial delivery trucks that experience daily tire abuse banging into road curbs and such. This tire weighs 49 lbs vs 39 lbs for the Michelin LTX M/S tire of the same size.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Fourwinds

Blowout on I-5

Post by Fourwinds »

Thanks, Bill,

A lot of info. Like taking a tour of a tire factory. :) Good info. I've printed it to have as part of my guide to a good decision for us.
Thanks again,
Jess
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

The Born Free Factory could probably provide you with a direct replacement for your mud flap.

What Mel said about the shocks. I haven't used the bilsteins but I really like the Koni's. Yeah, they make a huge difference on handling and some on ride. More on handling and side-top-side stability, especially in windy conditions (my opinion).

Protect your tires from UV for longer life. The more often you drive, the better. The flexing action of the sidewalls when you drive on them is good for them. When parked for extended times outside (week or longer) cover your tires or wash and then spray with 303 (what I usually do).

Still, after 4 years, mine are starting to show small cracks in the sidewalls. Makes me wonder how long I can push it without risking the incidental damage.

The direct replacement tires have deep grooves that tend to pick up gravel and later release it/toss it. Some tires apparently have better groove patterns for not picking up gravel.
Fourwinds

Blow-out on I-5!

Post by Fourwinds »

Hey Trisha,

I did order a new splash or mud flap from Kim at Born Free. It's to arrive early next week.

I have vinyl tire/wheel covers I slip on and one that fits over the windshield and around over the side windows of the cab to keep the suns rays from beating in on the seats.

Before we found our 2002 in Texas, we looked at another Class C and the owner made sense with what he and his wife did: they would take their RV out every couple weeks or so for short drives. Sometimes it was to drive up into the mountains and just park over night or a weekend. Sounds like a good idea. So why haven't I been doing that? :oops:

As to picking up stones in the tread. I have noticed the Goodrich tires we have pick up a lot of stones and wedge them into the dread so tight I cannot pry them loose without using a tool or screw driver. But I have noticed what seemed to me, an excessive amount on a regular basis, than on any other tires on our other two vehicles.
Jess & Bonnie Dixon

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”