Automatic float trickle charger

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Trisha

Automatic float trickle charger

Post by Trisha »

I am looking for the best kind of charger, an automatic float trickle charger (so I've heard?( for my house batteries. I have called up an item... is this similar to what it is supposed to be?

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus ... 9&tab=spec
Or?

PatTrish
Randy Wilson

Automatic Float Trickle Charger

Post by Randy Wilson »

Check out the unit that Bill Hemme recommended in earlier discussions on battery charging. See charger at this site:

http://www.vdcelectronics.com/batteryminder_12v_1a.htm
Tim and Mia

Post by Tim and Mia »

I installed the charger recommended by Bill Hemme from his very detailed web page.

Thank you, thank you! It works like a champ.

I had very small deviations from his instructions, because our coaches are different years.

Now I can just plug in and not worry about my batteries overcharging, etc, etc.

Mr. Hemme, I thank you. You are a resource that does not come along frequently.
mi99amigo

Post by mi99amigo »

Another similar product is the Battery Tender, used by many antique car collectors.

www.batterytender.com
Mike Jean Bandfield

Battery Float Charge and De-Sulphation

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

3/21/2006 Note: Since posting the following I purchased this device and now question the varasity of the seller. I can discern no high frequency or pulsing component in it's output and it is not reducing the visible sulphates on the plates of two batteries I've been testing over the last couple of months. (If I find the time I'll build my own desulphator andl report back if I get to it.) The Vector charger which came with the unit works as described.

At the risk of confusing the heck out of Trish - I've been leaning toward the Battery Life Saver www.battery-rechargeable-charger.com and getting the 2A Vector VEC 080 charger maybe from a cheaper source. There's more versatility in the separate (charger and desulphator) components. And the higher power BLS-12/24-B will restore highly sulphated batteries easier and faster. This isn't the easiest way to go but it gives me options with all the batteries I have to take care of in the trucks, cars, tractor, RV, pumps, etc. I also like the idea of being able to pulse the battery both while charging and while discharging. I suspect that could be a more effective de-sulphating strategy.

Trish, the camping world charger (Vector VEC 070) is an older Vector 1.5 A model and although it is not a bad deal, you can do better. The Vector 2A model can be had for as low as $28 w/ shipping if you search around the web. Don't forget the chassis battery. You can get 2 units or manually alternate a single charger between chassis and coach batteries periodically.

The BatteryMINDER from VDC (recommended by Bill and Randy) has built in desulphator which will extend your battery life and it looks pretty foolproof. At $67 w/ shipping it's a pretty good deal.

Happy Holidays,

Mike
Last edited by Mike Jean Bandfield on Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
whemme

Post by whemme »

Trish,

The Battery Minder from VDC Electronics will do a fine job of keeping your house batteries float charged while your BF is in winter storage. You can get it directly from VDC Electronics per the link in my earlier post copied above. Also, Camping World has it currently for $44.99 at their link as follows: http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus ... 8&src=SRQB

If your BF is equipped with a Magnetek/Parallax 7345 Charger/Converter system, you don't want to use that system to keep your batteries charged during storage via plugging in your coach to shore power - this system will over-charge your batteries and boil water out of them causing you to have to add water every month.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

not confused.Know what to get now. Have been not plugged in because I don't want to go that route, take the rig out and drive it and let the batter charge via the alternator but oy vey it is getting cold and that's not fun.

I am leaving shortly (if these things can be accurately defined) to get to a warmer place... but I just want something that I can use instead of just overcharging in any case in any place.

Thanks you all :) Again.

Trish

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”