Kaspersky - O.T.

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bill crommett

Kaspersky - O.T.

Post by bill crommett »

Does anyone out there use Kaspersky internet security ?
lassen

Post by lassen »

Bill.....Bought a new laptop last fall @ Best Buy, they sold me and installed Kaspersky, so far no problems. Haven't yet decided what I'll do this fall when the year is up. Lets see what other's have to say on the issue.

Jack
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Use with an XP installation and it works well.
Last edited by BornFree_n_Now on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Steve

Post by Steve »

I've found a couple of good free anti-virus programs I've been using for several years.
Avira Anti-Virus: http://www.free-av.com/en/trialpay_down ... virus.html
I have this on my wifes netbook.
I use AVG 8.5 Free: http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afe

Avira uses less system resources so is better on an older computer, it has a nag screen that shows up every 8 days or so. I used to use Kapersky several years ago but it hasn't worked as well for me. I have McAfee Enterprise on one of my machines but it is fairly hard to setup properly so to keep it simple I'm just using the two I mentioned first. I've been working with computers for about 20 years.
Actually there is really no reason to purchase anything anymore as everything is available as either open source or freeware if you know where to find it. If you are interested just post to this forum and I'll send a couple of good URL's.
Steve
bill crommett

Kaspersky - O.T.

Post by bill crommett »

Steve: I have been happy with Kaspersky in the past, but obviously there is some protection on this edition that is protecting my Outlook Express from itself. Got Clues ?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Bill,
What version of windows and what version of Kapersky do you have? Please also include what SP (service pack) you are using with windows.
Steve
bill crommett

Kaspersky - O.T.

Post by bill crommett »

I am running Outlook Express #6. Kaspersky is 2010 version of 2009.
I don't know how to find what service pack my Windows is running..

Bill
Steve

Post by Steve »

Bill,
I'm trying to understand the nature of your problem; are your attachments being blocked? If that is the case here are some possible solutions, one from Microsoft and the other from Kaspersky.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/com ... ndsp2.mspx

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=193238578

I assume you have some version of WinXP, the way to identify what SP you have is to hold down the "windows' key and tap the Pause/Break key to bring up System Properties, I'm doing this from memory as I run Vista Ultimate. Let us know if this fixes your problem.
Steve
bill crommett

Kaspersky - O.T.

Post by bill crommett »

Steve: Thanks for the clue of tapping the pause/break key. It says I have service pack two.
I will now open the two links you sent. Thanks. I will report.
bill crommett

Kaspersky - O.T.

Post by bill crommett »

Steve : Thank you for your help, but the problem was not with attachments.
Earlier today I got the message that OE was downloading new messages. Up came the hour glass followed by the "Not responding" message. When following the instructions in the Kaspersky link, as soon as I clicked on "Tools" the thing froze with the hourglass again. So I believe there is something other than the attachment problem.
Incidentally, when things froze up this morning I just turned off the monitor and left for several hours. When I came back the messages had downloaded but the machine froze on the first click and I got the "Not responding " message.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Don't you just love computers? :?

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
bill crommett

Kaspersky - O.T.

Post by bill crommett »

Yeah ! Worse than a teen age daughter. When you get everything figured out it is time to re-subscribe ( or re-enlist)
Steve

Post by Steve »

Bill,
It sounds like you are running out of system resources! Here are the minimum requirements for running your version of Kaspersky.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 System Requirements
• Supported operating systems:
o Windows XP Home / Professional / Professional x64 (64-bit) Edition. Windows XP must have at least Service Pack 2 installed.
o Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate (both 32 and 64-bit versions are supported)
• Intel Pentium 800 MHz or higher processor
• Minimum 512 MB of available RAM
• 300 MB of free disk space

Do you meet these requirements?
I think what is happening is you are using up most or all of your RAM and windows is running in virtual memory/swap file/paging file. Virtual memory simulates your RAM and runs REALLY slow but if you wait long enough it will run. I still don't know if you are using Win Vista or Win XP but this will work with both. You need to run the "task Manager" the shortcut to this is the following: Cntrl +Al+Del then start task manager click on the "performance" tab and that will tell you how much RAM/resources you are using, now click on the "processes" tab and that will show you what programs are using your CPU and memory; if you start Kaspersky now you probably will find it using most of your resources!
The fix to this is either a newer/faster computer or possible just more RAM or removing Kaspersky and using a program that doesn't use as many resources.
Steve
bill crommett

Kaspersky - O.T.

Post by bill crommett »

Thanks, Steve. You have given me hope. I will go for your suggestions right after my nap.

Bill
bill crommett

Kaspersky - O.T.

Post by bill crommett »

As an after thought, is there some un-needed applications of Kaspersky that I could safely eliminate to reduce the RAM requirements ?

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”