Final decision on tires

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Fourwinds

Final decision on tires

Post by Fourwinds »

This is primarily aimed at Bill Hemme. Just reporting on having 6 new Firestone Transforce tires installed on our 2002 26' RSB here locally in Bakersfield. Costco wanted $1400.00 for the Michelin LtX-M/SE's.

While I put little trust in what tire dealers tell me, they all did give the Firestone Transforce commercial tires a good report, which matched your own experience. I made certain they were manufactured in 2009 too!

My Koni shocks arrived. My mechanic will be installing them on Tuesday.

Our BF had that plastic strip - coating - across the front of the hood. It had faded and discolored and looked awful. I finally had it sanded off and re-painted and it looks great!

I need to locate the discussion on this forum some time back about a spray lubricant for the swivel dinette seats. The one nearest the passenger's front seat is really getting hard to turn.

And I recall - without jotting down the name again - (I must overcome that laxidazical habit) the wax or polish(?) recommended for our Born Free fiber-glass shells. I had a polish put on in June, and I can't even tell it has been polished now. I'm wondering if a marine wax or polish would be appropriate? Seems like it should.

Looking forward to our first Born Free rally Oct 15-18 at Pacif Dunes RV Resort in Oceano, California, put on by Bob Newby.

Oh, and what is the consensus on buying a Camping World RV cover to use during months the RV is not in use? Any experiences to share: good or bad?

Happy Trails, everyone!
Jess
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
2002 Born Free, 26 ft rsb
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Jess, check the post on April 17, 2009 by bcope01 regarding Dupont white lithium grease.
Mel & Connie
Fourwinds

Post by Fourwinds »

Thanks, Mel & Connie,

Appreciate the Dupont lithium grease and post info. Lithium sounds space age. :)

We have an '87 VW Cabriolet convertible for our Toad vehicle. How does your Honda work out? Is it stick shift? Can you just pull it while in neutral without the tranny turning over? The VW conv. top leaks, it rides hard and is very noisy to ride in. We agreed to buy it as a package deal with our 2002.
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
2002 Born Free, 26 ft rsb
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Jess, the CR-V has been a good tow vehicle for us and the extra storage capacity comes in handy. We have the automatic transmission and the only requirement when ready to tow is to run through the gears in the Honda prescribed sequence, let the engine idle for 3 minutes in neutral and leave the key in the accessory position. This is spelled out in the owners manual which means towing should not effect the warranty. Also the mileage does not add up on the odometer, a good feature.

I also use the Toad-Charge by LSL Products which keeps the CR-V battery from excessive drain by the braking system.
Mel & Connie

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”