New Tires- Michelin LTX or LRE XPS RIB?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Jim & Lana

New Tires- Michelin LTX or LRE XPS RIB?

Post by Jim & Lana »

Installing all new tires on our 1996 24' RB. Should we choose the LTX all season or the XPS RIB? What is the safest? Also, do you replace all the metal stems?
whemme

Post by whemme »

Since about year 2005, the Ford factory has been delivering the E350 and E450 Class C chassis with the Michelin LTX tires.

The LTX tire has steel belts in the tread area but fabric belts in the sidewall area as do most radial tires being manufactured. The XPS Rib tire also has steel belts in the sidewall area increasing the weight of the tire and also the cost. I have noted on the various RV forums that some owners running the XPS tires say that it has a somewhat harsher ride due to the stiffer sidewall containing steel belts.

I think that the XPS tires were intended for severe duty delivery trucks where the drivers sometimes have a habit of impacting curbs and such with their tires. There probably is no question that the XPS is a heavier duty tire than the LTX at the expense of some ride discomfort - but I am sure some will disagree with that assessment.

If you want a really heavy duty tire, I think your best choice would probably be the Michelin XPS Rib tire available in the size LT225/75R16E. It is interesting on the Michelin website that the XPS Rib is rated for summer use only whereas the LTX is not. This tire weighs 49 lbs vs 39 lbs for the Michelin LTX M/S tire of the same size. The cost of a XPS Rib tire is significantly more than a LTX tire.
Last edited by whemme on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Why consider only Michelin tires?
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
whemme

Post by whemme »

Well Jim only asked about the choice between those two Michelin tires. However, I elected to purchase Firestone Transforce HT LT225/75R16E replacement tires for my Born Free when I replaced my former Firestone Flexsteel tires last fall when they reached 5 years of age.

As far as I can tell, the Transforce tire replaces the nearly identical former Flexsteel tire and is much less expensive than even the Michelin LTX tire. Below are the current prices from the Tire Rack website for these three different tires in the LT225/75R16E size.

Firestone Transforce HT - $125.00 each
Michelin LTX - $181.00
Michelin XPS Rib - $227.00

I have had the Firestone tires on both my 1st 1999 Born Free 24' RB coach and my current 2002 Born Free 26' RSB coach without any problems.

My other reason for being convinced that the Firestone Transforce tire is a economical and good choice is that I work part time for our local Regional Transit Authority (RIDES) as a dispatcher. Almost all of our 75 transportation buses are based on the same Ford E350 and E450 chassis as used for our Born Free coaches. The in house bus mechanics have continued to always use these same Firestone tires for the 9 years that I have worked there.

So there is my story and why I use Firestone tires on my coach.

One thing I will add is that the E350 and E450 chassis are prone to causing front tire cupping if front end alignment is not keep near perfect. This evidently is an unfortunate characteristic of the twin I-beam front suspension design used on this chassis. Tire cupping can cause rapid tire wear on the inside edges of the front tires and unless caught early can reduce the life of the tire quite fast. I recommend a front end alignment every 10,000 miles from an experienced truck alignment shop to prevent this problem from happing to you no matter which tires are on your coach.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
SteveS

Balance Beads

Post by SteveS »

Has anyone tried "balance beads" as a method of balancing the tires on the Born Free. Looks pretty good to me.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Bill Hemme,

My post was actually to encourage Jim and Lana to think outside the Michelin box and consider other tire brands. I recall your previous posts about Firestone. I too have the Firestone Transforce HT on my 2001 BF. I previously posted my costs including installation and taxes. Here is a link to that post:

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... e&start=30

I've wondered about car makers now including Michelin tires on their new vehicles. I think they are trading on the so called "Michelin reputation" as a selling point. To be competitive I doubt they pay any more for Michelin than they would for Firestone or any other brand, and if this is true, then I find the idea that Michelin is of better quality questionable. They use the name Michelin to sell cars, thats all. Since Michelin tires are more expensive at retail stores we assume they are better when in reality Michelin and the tire retailer may be "pushing" the tire taking advantage of the "Michelin reputation" to turn a greater profit.

Do I sound paranoid? I hope not. As I once said, I have a natural tendency to be the devil's advocate!

Thanks for calling attention to the cupping issue. I probably need to have a front end alignment now that I've got the new Transforce HT on my BF.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
jasper2222

balance beads

Post by jasper2222 »

I have used the balance beads on my 2500 series truck. They are great. Never felt a shimmy, shake etc. Had them in for about about 40,000 miles. I have purchased them for my Born Free, but you pretty much have to take the tire off the vehicle to install them and so have not done it. Born Frees is running good with 34,000 miles so I have left it alone.

Again, the beads are great.
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

I would like to expand on Bill Hemmes’ post above about the Ford E-Series Twin I Beam front suspension and its inherent propensity to cup the inboard edge of the front tires. Front end alignment is critical, as it is in all vehicles. In this particular vehicle, however, due to the geometry of the front suspension, good shock absorbers are important to control the jounce/ rebound (up/down) travel of the suspension. The front suspension, on each side, is made up of an “I beamâ€
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I'm happy with my LTX. But, then, I've never had the XPS.
lafons

Post by lafons »

Just for a FYI . I just purchased 6 michelin LTX M/S for $171 each, installed and filled with nitrogen for $1150 at a local dealer with date stamp of 46 week 09 year. This was a good price and I just share it as a price reference point. Also used the brog stem front and back.
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee
SteveS

Goodyear tires

Post by SteveS »

Does anyone have information on the G947 RSS Armor MAX Goodyear tires?

http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/truck/ ... ine=160026

I am not happy with my Michelins .... sidewalls are showing cracks and they are 08 tires!

Steve
whemme

Post by whemme »

Steve,

The Goodyear G947 RSS Armor MAX tire is similar to the Michelin XPS Rib tire in that it also features the steel belts in the side walls but it also is rated for M+S service which the Michelin is not. However, this Goodyear tire in the needed size LT225/75R16E is expensive - typically around $325 each!!!

Click on the the following RV.NET forum topic for further information:
http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuse ... page/1.cfm

There seems to be a lot of reports of the Michelin LTX with premature sidewall cracks. I am running and satisfied with the Firestone Transforce HT tire.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Rob

Post by Rob »

I to am getting sidewall cracks on my new in 2008 LTX.

Should we contact Michelin and ask what gives?

Rob
2003 24RB
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

Rob wrote:I to am getting sidewall cracks on my new in 2008 LTX.

Should we contact Michelin and ask what gives?
I am very disappointed. The tires were manufactured in 08. While I do live in the southwest with lots of UV, two years seems like a very short time.

Steve
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

Now that Bill has given some insight on the price of the Goodyears .... I am less interested. Consumer's Reports gives the General Grabber HTS their highest marks.

http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T27/Grabber-HTS

Does anyone have experience with these?

Steve

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”