Converter/Charger replacement

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

hindeb

Converter/Charger replacement

Post by hindeb »

After reading the various posts about upgrading the existing Magnetek/Parallax 7345 single-stage Charger/Converter and Bill Hemme's excellent instructions for replacing it with Progressive Dynamics PD9160A, I decided to replace the factory unit with the Progressive Dynamics PD4655 ( http://www.bestconverter.com/4600-series_c_133.html ) in my 2004 26RB Diesel. For those of you contemplating this conversion, I just wanted to iterate that it could not be easier unless you had someone else do it.
I had expected that it would take most of a day to switch the units, but in reality it only took slightly more than an hour and that included a coffee break. The new unit slips in exactly where the old unit was and it was very easy to replace the DC distribution board. The new distribution board contains 12 fuses compared to the 9 available on the factory original. The four-stage Charge Wizard should eliminate most of the out gassing and water loss. I had considered adding a separate desulphation unit, but that will not be necessary now as the new charger will do this every 21 hours for 15 minutes. This may not be enough to bring back a badly sulphated battery but it should help prevent any additional build up.
No special tools were required other than several sizes of TORX bits, Allen wrenches, Phillips & flat bladed screw drivers, and a pair of needle nose pliers. A digital volt meter was handy to watch the converter output on completion. I even inherited a 16' tape measure that a factory worker had left in the space behind the old unit.
I did take pictures of the installation process thinking someone may find them helpful and I would be happy to build a PDF document of the steps involved if there is any interest. This was a lot less work than Bill had to go through on his conversion and the instructions included with the new unit were very adequate.
Bruce & Teresa Hinde
Steamboat Springs, CO
2004 26RB Diesel
2001 Jeep Wrangler
whemme

Post by whemme »

As Bruce indicates above, by far the best choice now for anyone considering replacing their existing single stage Magnetek/Parallax 7345 Charger/Converter unit is to install the Progressive Dynamics PD4655 unit - a 'piece of cake' exchange.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bill crommett

Converter

Post by bill crommett »

As Bruce said, it was a straight forward procedure. The hardest part for me was getting back up off the floor.
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Bruce, if it isn't too much trouble, I would benefit from your pictures, as I plan to proceed with the same conversion shortly. Thanks, Denny.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Bruce,
I to would benefit from pictures in PDF format when you can.

Rob Beery
2003 24RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Rob,

Here are some photos from my website link referenced in the topic CONVERTING PARALLAX 7345 CHARGER/CONV TO PD4655 in the Coach Modification section of this forum. Even though they were about installing an earlier model Progressive Dynamics PD9160A Charger/Charger, these particular 6 photos and related discussion would also apply to preparing to install the now recommended Progressive Dynamics PD4655 Charger/Converter system.
Attachments
Photo 3b.png
(99.13 KiB) Downloaded 3576 times
Photo 3a.png
Photo 3a.png (313.32 KiB) Viewed 20366 times
Photo 2.png
(357.01 KiB) Downloaded 3572 times
Photo 1.png
(355.39 KiB) Downloaded 3573 times
Photo 6.png
(316.88 KiB) Downloaded 3580 times
Photo 5.png
(367.54 KiB) Downloaded 3574 times
Photo 4.png
(291.98 KiB) Downloaded 3581 times
Last edited by whemme on Tue May 25, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Please excuse my lack of knowledge here. I was trying to understand the benefits of the upgrade. If I read the links correctly, this would allow for faster recharging of the battery as well as increase the life of the battery? Is this the main reasons to perform this upgrade?
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
bill crommett

Charger

Post by bill crommett »

You have it right this time. The factory installed Parallax would boil your batteries dry if the AC was plugged in constantly. The conversion would allow the AC to be plugged in all the time, and it would periodically give the batteries a boost to de-sulfate them and then return to a trickle charge that would only bring them back to the 12.6 Volts normal reading and no more.

If I have left anything out Bill Hemme will correct me.
whemme

Post by whemme »

The only thing I need to correct in Bill Crommett's post above is that the float charge voltage level from one of these modern 3-stage converter/chargers is 13.2 vdc - not 12.6 vdc. The 12.6 vdc is the no load voltage that a fully charged 12 v lead-acid type battery will read after being disconnected from a charger for at least 24 hours.

These 3-stage charger/converters have the following typical charge voltages:

a) Boast Mode: +14.4 vdc
b) Normal Mode: +13.6 vdc
c) Float Mode: +13.2 vdc

The single stage Magnetek/Parallax 7345 charger/converter that is standard equipment in the Born Free coach (and most all other RVs also) has a constant single charge voltage of +13.6 vdc and that voltage when constantly applied to your coach batteries causes over-charging, loss of water and eventual destruction of a battery.

The other big advantage is that the 3-stage charger/converter will recharge a depleted set of coach batteries back to a 90% charge level in only 3 hours whereas the original single stage unit takes approximately 3 days to do the same thing.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Thanks for this info. I know what I need to do now also!
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
den1845

Post by den1845 »

So in the meantime until I get a chance to replace my converter, what is the correct way to use the current converter when plugged in to shore power? Main switch (by back door) turned off when plugged in?

Thanks,
Dennis
whemme

Post by whemme »

Dennis,

I have deleted one of your two identical posts. The typical reason for double posts is that you may have clicked on the Submit button twice because you thought your computer ignored the 1st clicking. Avoid clicking on the Submit more than once to prevent this problem.

As for your question as to how to use your existing Parallax 7345 charger/converter, this is my advice. If your coach batteries are mostly fully discharged, I would recharge them from shore line power for no more than 4 days - continued charging after that results in over-charging and the charger will start boiling out the water in your battery's cells. If your batteries are only partially discharged then you will have to estimate the amount of time to leave the charger powered.

If you still want your shore line power cable connected after the time period long enough to re-charge your batteries fully, then after that, shut off your battery master switch to stop further charging. While connected to shore line power (or using your generator) all of your DC powered appliances in your coach will work just fine from the +12 vdc power being generated by the charger/converter.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
den1845

Post by den1845 »

Thanks Bill...That's the procedure I used last camping season (our first year with the BF). The coach batteries are usually fully charged by the time we arrive at the camp ground so I just leave the battery master switch off when the shore line power is hooked up. We usually don't go more then 3-4 hours from the house. We are still just weekend campers So the rule of thumb is don't leave the battery master switch on with shore line power hooked up for more then 3-4 day? or the batteries will start cooking.

Dennis
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Bill, what is your background? Electrical Engineering? Mine is Computer Science and Telecomm/eBusiness. I just wonder due to both your knowledge and ability to communicate so clearly.
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
whemme

Post by whemme »

Alan,

My background is,

a) Electrical Engineering degree from Iowa State University in 1963
b) 1963 - 1968: Test Equipment Design Engineer on the Apollo Space Program at Collins Radio in Cedar Rapids, IA
c) 1965: Obtained my pilot's license
d) 1968 - 1971: Avionics (aircraft radio) Design Engineer also at Collins Radio
e) 1971 - 1977: Electronic Weighing Scales Design Engineer at Weigh-Tronix, Inc in Fairmont, MN
f) 1977 - 1999: Started and operated my own Avionics Sales, Installation, and Repair Business at the Spencer, IA Municipal Airport
g) 1999: Sold my business, retired, and purchased my 1st Born Free
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”