Front Ball Joints

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

karls

Front Ball Joints

Post by karls »

There have been a couple threads in the last weeks concerning lubrication of front ball joints, but I didn't see enough info on how to install the Zerk fittings.

While doing a brake job (turned rotors and new pads) I observed that (as noted) there are no grease fittings (Zirk) on the four joints. And the rubber seal is deteriorated enough for problems down the road, so I'd like to install the Zirks. The part of the joint where a Zirk would normally be found is flat and feels like it might be plastic. There is a dimple in the middle and I'm wondering if one has to drill through this to get to the threaded orifice where the Zirk screws in.

I'd be grateful to hear from someone who has made the mod.

Karl Striedieck
George Boley

Post by George Boley »

Karl,
I was responsible for the original post.
If your rubber boots are already deteriorated it's probably already too late to install grease fittings. Better have the ball joints checked. Knowing what we know, I would violate that plastic cover and see if there are threads in the joints. At this point what harm can you do. Keep us posted. George B
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I sure would like to have this ooked at on my rig, but for the life of me I don't know enough about what everything is down there to know what you guys ar talking about so I can't look and see. Where is the rubber boot? What does a Zerk look like.

Wish you were near Tuscon so you could come over and show me :)

Trish
karls

Post by karls »

Following the first posting on this matter I charged ahead and installed Zirk fittings on the lower joints. (I should add that the BF is a 1998 E-350 24RB.) It was rather simple as it turned out.

First step is to drill a hole in the center of the bottom of the ball joint - it has a dimple to make it easier to locate. The metal is about 3/16th thick, soft and has a space beyond the metal. Tap threads into the hole, screw in the Zirk fitting, and pump in grease.

I didn't do this to the upper joints as they appear to be in good shape, I was pressed for time and access is a little trickier. They can wait for a warmer day.

For Trish, the ball joints are inside the front wheels, about even with the tires. If someone moves the steering wheel a little while another looks you'll see the where the pivot points are (upper and lower). I'll send you an e-photo if it would help.

Karl Striedieck

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”