Born Free

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Tom and Cindy

Born Free

Post by Tom and Cindy »

xxx
Last edited by Tom and Cindy on Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

Oh yuck, Tom. Mice have been one of my fears. We live in a wooded area but store our BF indoors most of the time, due to a nasty neighbor. We have not had a problem to date but I have read that if you put Bounce under the sofa and bed and stuff steel wool around openings it will help. We have done the Bounce thing but not the steel wool and haven't had mice yet. I think it is only a matter of time due to where we live, so I am anxious to see if you find a solution. Good luck!
Bill Ruh

Mice inside Born Free

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi Tom and Cindy,

We park in a wooded area too and haven't had mice, so I don't have any experience to suggest.

However, don't store your motorhome plugged in unless you have an "intelligent" converter (like the progressive dynamics with charge wizard or the magnetek 7345ru). "Dumb" converters (like the magnetek 6345) can ruin you batteries by boiling away the water.
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Call me skeptical but you'll never convince me that a creature that will eat fiberglass will stay outside a cozy vehicle with Bounce in it!

I found mice in my old camper and sealed around the pipes to the holding tanks with copper wool. This strategy worked 12 more years until we got our Born Free.

Do you suppose the mice got into the BF from the engine compartment? Mine is so well sealed in the coach I'd be surprised if they got in that way but I'm concerned.

We're building on 10 acres in the middle of hay and alfalfa farms. The number of well fed hawks sitting on the fence posts indicates a large rodent population.

I too am very currious as to how effective the ultrasonic devices are.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

I have no idea for prevention, but when we got mice in our toad, I turned on the engine and shut all the barn doors and left in a hurry. Half an hour later I came back to a mother and a bunch of little mice trying to get out. But they were DEAD ! it took a year of vanilla air freshener to get the odor back to where it smelled like a car again. Monoxide is odorless and tasteless, but the petrolium smell still stinkls.
bensae

Mice

Post by bensae »

I used to consider mice a possible annoying but not significant problem. Our first experience was a private rental 30 ft. Allegro we got in Idaho. It had been stored in a field. Mice were everywhere at night, even running over our sofa bed ((my wife would freak even today if she heard that). We set mouse traps in thhe heater ducts, where they seemed to run the most. The snapping went on for about four nights, then no more problem. The issue is the Hanta virus, potentially lethal, common knowledge to most westerners. I've met people at Wilderness Medical conferences who would not even sweep out their barns, for fear of being exposed to mouse urine-soaked dust. Since then I have taken care not to store even my tight 26 RB BF, where there is easy connection to the ground other than the tires. With long winter storage I use fabric softener sheets holding 4-5 paradichlor. moth balls tied with a rubber band. I put them in all pantry cabinets, all outside compartments, and anwhere I can find a spot. I try to remember how many, as they smell up the whole rig. Haven't seen any mice, but found nest in the engine compartment. Bottom line: be afraid of them. I think my combination works.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”