24FT handling

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Tonyg

24FT handling

Post by Tonyg »

How stable is the 24 ft. from wind and truck passing compared to the "Built for Two" and the 26 FT. ?

Thanks to all . This is a great source of info.

Tony
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

I have had both the 24ft and now the 26ft -- I am impressed on how well both handle the wind and passing trucks -- I think it is because of the round-ness of the body -- wish you well in your choise of the Born Free coach -- BobN
bcope01

24FT handling

Post by bcope01 »

I recently drove my 22FT "Built for Two" from the factory in Humboldt, IA to San Diego, CA on mostly freeway through high crosswinds, lots of rain, and heavy truck traffic, and the handling was excellent. I used to tow a small travel trailer and everytime a truck passed me I left permanent fingerprints embedded in the steering wheel.
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Mel Wilbur

Handling

Post by Mel Wilbur »

My guess is that all three coaches will handle very much the same regarding passing trucks and wind. Any difference would most likely be equalized by the extra weight of the 24 and 26 when compared to the 22. The design of the Born Free coaches make them very driver friendly in these situations.
Mel & Connie
Tonyg

24FT handling - rv consumer group

Post by Tonyg »

Thanks for the fast replies. The reason I ask is because the rv consumer group rates handling of the 24 ft. significantly lower than the 26 ft. or the "built for two". I think this is based on the wheelbase to length ratio. I was interested to hear from actual owners since we are very interested in the 24ft model. This is all new to me since we have never had a rv before.

Thanks again,

Tony
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

We are second owners of a 2001 24RB. After our first trip, we installed the IPD system and Bilstien shocks on both front and rear axles. It improved the handling of the coach significantly.

Are similar systems installed on the more recent Born Free units at the BF factory?
Barbara & Ken
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

I would doubt if Born Free would ever consider adding any after market items such as IPD sway bars or high quality shocks such as Bilsteins or Koni's if for no other reason than the liability of altering the chassis. For what it's worth I have just installed the Koni shocks after three years with Bilsteins and the ride quality was a noticable improvement, firm but less harsh overall (my copilot agrees with me). We also have the IPD bars front and rear and the safe-t-plus steering stabilizer.

Tony, as a prospective buyer keep in mind that there are many Born Free coaches on the road without most of the addons that you will find discussed on this website, then there are those of us who like our toys and are looking for the ultimate in performance and handling which I will admit does come at a price. If you choose to purchase a Born Free I doubt that you will be dissapointed.
Mel & Connie
Bill Ruh

24FT handling

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi Tony,

IMO, the built-for-two handles better than the 24'. Also IMO, born free's design (lower center of gravity and aerodynamics) do better than brandx of equivalent wheelbase/length.

FWIW, we've put 60k miles on a 22' rear door, which is like the built-for-two with a cabover. For a motorhome, it's handling is outstanding; crosswinds and truck wash are just non-problems. The previous owner put on a rear ipd anti-sway bar and front and rear bilsteins, so I'm sure they help, but I don't think that's the biggest contributor.

Drive 'em yourself. I'll bet you'll notice a difference.
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

We agree with Bill. "Drive 'em yourself . . . you'll notice the difference."

If you are not near the Born Free factory or a dealer, contact Born Free for a list of BF owners in your area. We love to show off our BFs. We even allowed a prospective buyer drive our unit. He was impressed enough to buy a BF within a couple of months after seeing and driving our BF.
Barbara & Ken

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”