slimeline console

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

hrgermany

slimeline console

Post by hrgermany »

I am trying to make a little more space for my co-pilot.I have red that some of the owners of older BF motorhomes have removed the original consolesand replaced them with a "slimline"console.Where does one get
one of those?
Hans Rueckert 1995 26BFRSB
Randy Wilson

Post by Randy Wilson »

Hans, I recently installed the Trimline Organizer (console) that Ford furnishes for the 2005/2006 E series. Although the Ford parts listing does not show it for our 2004, it is a direct replacement and very simple to install. It contains four drink holders, an ash tray and miscellaneous small items holder plus a storage bin underneath. Winnebago has a replacement also, but I preferred the Ford item. It cost me $80.00 at my Ford dealer and provides much easier access to the driver and passenger areas
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

I installed the Trimline console which is sold by Winnebago on my 2005 BFT, which is actually on a 2004 E-350 chassis. After using the new console for a year I can attest to how much easier it makes getting into the front seats. It was a direct replacement for the Ford OEM console and not hard to install. Ford now supplies a similiar although slightly different unit called the Slimline console. I assume that the mounts on the engine cover cowl are the same for both consoles although I am not sure how far back that statement is true. If you go to RV.Net and do a search on keywords "trimline console" you will see several threads and one of them may answer that compatibility question. If you do decide to change the console out, send me an email and I will send you a write-up I did which describes how to change out the consoles, including pictures. I posted that on the old BF BB about a year ago. The install for the Slimline may be slightly different but the removal of the OEM console should be the same.
Jim & Denise Wilson

Post by Jim & Denise Wilson »

I would be intersted in seeing one of these slimline consoles. Could you post a photo or link a website to one for me. What do they run $. We currently have only one drink holder up there.

Thanks!
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Jim, as we are currently on the road I cannot send you the pictures but the Winnebago Trimline Console was $78.25 and the part number is 147623-01-01A and you can order one at 1-800-933-7742. Hope this is of some help.
Mel & Connie
mellowbo

Post by mellowbo »

Go to http://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non ... ew2006.pdf then go to page 9 of 32 to see the new trimline console. I am going to try and see how to order one. I saw one in a 2006 Born Free and it is very easy to get in and out of the front seats.
Carole
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Although this isn't meant as an endorsement of eBay, this is where I got mine for $39, plus $14 for shipping:
http://tinyurl.com/32lzzl
It arrived quickly and in perfect condition (and with ashtray).
Attachments
new_enginecover_mounted.jpg
new_enginecover_mounted.jpg (11.35 KiB) Viewed 25451 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Jim & Denise Wilson

Post by Jim & Denise Wilson »

Thanks so much! I placed an order today - can't wait to recieve it.
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Barb and Bill,

Our "slimline" console is different from the one in your photo (which might be the "trimline" console). Our slimline console has two "double combined" drink holders on each side right in front of the vehicle dash; a rectangular ashtray space centered in front of the drink holders; and a little pull down compartment on the front of the console. We really like the slimline console, because it is better suited for our needs. Sorry, but I don't have any photos.

Everyone who wants to order a replacement console should make sure to get the style that fits your needs.
Barbara & Ken
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Barbara & Ken:

My picture is indeed that of the Ford "Slimline" console. You can check it out in the "Whats New" for the 2006 Ford E-Series URL link posted above by Carole. Not sure what your's is - maybe the Winnebago slimline/trimline model discussed elsewhere?

Add-on: I just came across this from another forum (and also Born Free owners):

"As a matter of clarification, there are two different replacement consoles being discussed here. The new console that Ford announced for 2006 and that is the topic of the original post in this thread is called a Slimline console and is not the same as a Winnebago Trimline console. The Slimline appears to project deeper into the cab with a different shape to the bin but both are cutaway below for more foot room. I don't know what Ford will charge for theirs when it is available or if it will be available separately as a repair part. The Winnebago Trimline mentioned above ran me about $100 including shipping through my local Winnebago dealer."

It appears that either console will do the trick if your looking for better access to/from the rear of the coach. I guess price will be a big consideration for some (it was for me). From what I have seen around the web, the Ford console is less than half the price of the Winnebago.
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

bcope01 wrote: I just came across this from another forum (and also Born Free owners):

"As a matter of clarification, there are two different replacement consoles being discussed here. The new console that Ford announced for 2006 and that is the topic of the original post in this thread is called a Slimline console and is not the same as a Winnebago Trimline console. The Slimline appears to project deeper into the cab with a different shape to the bin but both are cutaway below for more foot room. I don't know what Ford will charge for theirs when it is available or if it will be available separately as a repair part. The Winnebago Trimline mentioned above ran me about $100 including shipping through my local Winnebago dealer."
You know you're getting old when someone dregs you up out of the archives and quotes you. :) I posted the above on the old BF BB about a year ago. The link below is to the Winnebago Trimline console. We like ours a lot but the Ford version would work as well as the big advantage is the increase in foot room. The Slimline from Ford was not available when we got ours.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/html/produc ... _key.html#
Taobeemr

Slimline Console

Post by Taobeemr »

Thanks! Ordered mine on EBAY today. :)
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

bcope01 wrote:Barbara & Ken: My picture is indeed that of the Ford "Slimline" console. You can check it out in the "Whats New" for the 2006 Ford E-Series URL link posted above by Carole. Not sure what your's is - maybe the Winnebago slimline/trimline model discussed elsewhere?

You are correct that our Slimline console is the Winnebago version for the Ford chassis. We were able to see web photos of the new Ford Trimline console (as it was named then) and also saw the Winnebago Slimline console "in person" at a local dealer before we made our choice. We decided that the Winnebago version was better for us. We purchased it last spring through the local Winnebago dealer, and it cost us $80 with S&H.

The console I found listed/pictured today on E-bay is the same style as ours, and it's priced at $10.50 plus $25 S&H . . . OUCH!! Oh well, we've had the use of ours for almost a year.

As I wrote earlier, try to see both versions (in photos and/or in an actual vehicle) to be able to decide which is better for your use.

Barbara

P.S. Sorry to be so late responding . . . been suffering for several days from the upper respiratory crud that's going around NM and barely able to function today.
Barbara & Ken
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

Okay, we admit that we are challenged in some respects. If you want to merge a couple of companies, we are (were, we are retired) your guys. If you want to turn on the hot water after you dewinterize, call someone else. We ordered the new Ford trimline console, we have it and have the old console off. Other than taking a chainsaw to it, we can't figure out what to do next. I have emailed Dave Potter and have tried to find the info on the old site but can't find it. What do we do now? We can't get the bleeping thing apart to install the new one. Any help would be appreciated. I hate the thought of putting the old one back on and going to the Ford dealer. Thanks. I wish I had taken mechanical arts sometime in school but I probably would have flunked.
Randy Wilson

Post by Randy Wilson »

Judy, the new console is installed exactly like the old one was. It simply hooks on the metal lugs at the top and locks in place with the spring latch at the bottom. If you removed the old console, I think you will understand what I am saying. However, if someone else removed it for you, there may be some confusion. Just look at the back of the new console and the old one to see the similarity. Of course, there is the possibility that you have been sent the wrong console. Give us a little more detail concerning where you are stuck and I'm sure one of us will be able to steer you in the right direction. Also, tell us the model year of your coach.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”