Borg extenders and stabilizers.

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Fourwinds

Borg extenders and stabilizers.

Post by Fourwinds »

One of my many uneducated questions. Considering a 26 BF advertized on the Leap'n Lions forum. Ad says it has Borg extenders and front and rear stabilizers.

Can someone explain what these are and/or what they do?

Also had Goodyear tires put on in 2004. Given that RV tires give out in sidewalls and not from tread wear, I'm wondering if I would need to replace these tires after being on the rig since 2004? Without seeing them is there a rule of thumb you go by?

Thanks for any help and guidance. Bonnie and I are deeply dependent upon the info you give us. This represents our first Class C RV.

Thanks,
Jess
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
2002 Born Free, 26 ft rsb
Trisha

Ahh..the borg

Post by Trisha »

I think they don't extinguish the solar system for at least 300 more years! Too soon to tell.

Sorry. Really. I don't know a thing about borg only *the borg* as in Star Trek. You can all officially file me in, um, hmmm.... whichever column you have for folks like me.

Tires. 2004 new? For tires that sit in the sun or don't get much use, check them for uv damage (checking and cracking) but foks who protect their tires (covers or 301) may have tires that last longer... the dirt is 5 or 6 years thart rubber will age before it's not so hot. So says Goodyear, etc.

Some rver's (even around here) might actually wear out a set of tires in the 6 years that they own them. There are BF's out there with 140,000 miles on them...and they're not THAT old... so...

I try to keep my tires covered, at least ont he sun side. But I drive more than average in a MH so that helps too. Also washing the tires with a brush keeps them from getting ozone damaged.

tires new in 04 should be ok for another 4 years or so.

Patricia
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

The stock tire pressure valves on the inner tires of a dually are difficult at best to reach when checking for proper air pressure or airing up and many people don't check them often enough for that reason. There are many companies who make extenders that come out through the holes in the wheel and terminate usually by the hub so that you can easily access the valves. They are flexible tubes and some have braided covers to protect the inner rubber tube. They simply screw onto the existing valves to "extend" them. They are easy to install but add an extra joint that can leak. A lot of people use them and the cost is relatively low. Other types replace the existing valves with an all metal tube which is bent to the correct shape. You must demount the tires to install this type but it is generally considered safer. Borg sells a type of pre-bent all metal tire valve that was designed/patented by a gentleman by the name of Chuck Carvitto who calls himself Chuck the Tireman and sells tires and these extenders from his store in Ridgecrest CA. He's an Rver himself and extremely knowledgable on tires. His link is below. The cost for this type is relatively expensive and can run several hundred dollars by the time you buy the valves, have 6 tires unmounted, valves installed, remounted, and balanced.

http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~tire-man/valve.html
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I purchased the Borg product & had them installed by a commercial truck company. They are expensive compared to the flexible ones (that I've heard aren't very good). However, when it comes to tires & proper air pressure, etc., I figure I'm worth it...I can pinch pennies on other stuff but not when it comes to my safety & the safety of others on the road. If I had it to do over, I'd invest in the Borg extensions without a doubt. Plus, you really only have the rear tires worked on...(4).....But I did have steel valves installed on all 6 when I had the extenders installed on the rear tires...
Mel Wilbur

borg extenders

Post by Mel Wilbur »

You can check the borg extenders at www.borgtiresupply.com then click on the dually valve heading.
Mel & Connie
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

just because you bought the tires in 2004 it doesn't mean that they are 2004 tires -- go to a tire dealer and ask them to look at your tires and check the" built date " on them -- then seek their advice as to when they should be changed---BobN
Bill Ruh

tire age

Post by Bill Ruh »

You can check the tire's manufacture date yourself by looking at the dot (department of transportation) code on the sidewall. For tires made after 1999, the last four digits are wwyy, where ww=week and yy=year (e.g. 4203 is 2003 week 42). For tires made 1999 or before, the last three digits are wwy, where ww=week and y=year (e.g. 217 is 1997 (hopefully not 1987) week 21).

Yes, most rv tires age out before they wear out. Exposure to sun and lack of regular use shorten tire life. I agree with Trisha that 5-6 years is safe and after that you need to inspect them. FWIW, I bought our used motorhome with 9-year-old tires (and immediately replaced them) and currently have 6-year-old tires that are still fine.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”