Travel in Alaska

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Judy Harris

Travel in Alaska

Post by Judy Harris »

We are taking the BF and the 2 dogs solo to Alaska at the beginning of May. We are expecting a grandchild in Fairbanks around the end of May so the caravan unfortunately doesn't work for us. Does anyone know if Directv with the Kingdome satellite dish works in Alaska? I emailed Directv and got this odd response that leads me to believe that it is possible, just not legal for them to tell me how. We usually wouldn't care but our Detroit Pistons will be in the middle of winning another NBA title and we would like to see at least some of the games. Also, has anyone traveled on the Alaska ferry system with dogs? We are really excited about the trip (and our fifth grandchild) but boy, is this ever a lot of planning on your own! Thanks.
Tim and Mia

Post by Tim and Mia »

Judy,

The Alaska Marine Highway will let you take your dogs. I believe that they require them to stay on the vehicle deck with regularly scheduled visits daily. I believe there are three or four visits daily for maybe 15 to 30 minutes each.
You have vehicle access during these visits.
I hope this helps.
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi -- we traveled the Alaska marine highway this past summer from Bellingham to Skagway and the people with pets had no problem -- the pests have to stay in your RV at all times except at pet calls when you can walk them at the rear of the ferry --have a fun trip -- Bob
Rich Flaugh

Alaska Ferry

Post by Rich Flaugh »

We used the Alaska Ferry system last summer (Haines to Bellingham). You had access to your MH during three 30 minute "car deck calls" each day. Dog owners used this time to exersize their pets in the car deck area.
We found the ferry very relaxing and met a number great people.
ronpurdum

Alaska

Post by ronpurdum »

All the above about the ferry is good information. Try for an outside stateroom. More money but worth it. As for sat-tv, I have gotten reception all the way to Watson Lake with my little crank up dish. This was Dish Network. You can get Dish in Alaska but you need a 6 foot dish. Also, if you are traveling early May, you could hit snow but roads are well maintained. Just takes them a little longer to get them plowed. Have a good trip!! Oh Yea. go to News-miner.com for the Fairbanks newspaper on-line
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

Thank you all for the information! We have decided against the ferry with the dogs, based upon the input and what we have read - the dogs would be fine, we would be too stressed worrying about them. I don't want to be written up in the local news as the old lady detained for sneaking through security to the car deck to check on the dogs at 2 ( and 3, 5 , etc.) in the morning. So we will drive the whole trip. It looks like an 11,000 mile trip, with visiting kid stops. Piece of cake for a Born Free!! We are very excited about the trip.

Judy and Chuck Harris, with Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

Thank you all for the information! We have decided against the ferry with the dogs, based upon the input and what we have read - the dogs would be fine, we would be too stressed worrying about them. I don't want to be written up in the local news as the old lady detained for sneaking through security to the car deck to check on the dogs at 2 ( and 3, 5 , etc.) in the morning. So we will drive the whole trip. It looks like an 11,000 mile trip, with visiting kid stops. Piece of cake for a Born Free!! We are very excited about the trip.

Judy and Chuck Harris, with Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Sam, you might try:

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.html

This is the official State of Alaska website.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”