TV antenna

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tomzleapin

TV antenna

Post by tomzleapin »

I recently installed a Winegard Sensor antenna with the Wingman. It works good for the most part but quite often I camp in remote areas and reception is a challenge. Anyone know of a higher gain antenna setup? Since most TV is now in the UHF band I'm thinking of a UHF only antenna (which are fairly compact) and some kind of sectional or telescoping mast.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
whemme

Post by whemme »

I replaced my original OEM Delta TV antenna on my 2002 BF 26' RSB coach with a Winegard Sensor III antenna including the Wingman attachment and was really surprised with the improved reception range. My reception seems to be pretty good out to a range of 60 to 70 miles to the TV transmitter antenna location but terrain, tree foliage and the like can reduce that range.

Remember that some of the digital TV channels are still in the VHF frequency range.

Some on this forum have installed the new JACK TV antenna. For info on this antenna contained in a topic titled JACK antenna on this same forum, click on this direct link: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... php?t=2772

I believe that the Born Free factory began installing the JACK antenna on the 2012 models.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Thanks Bill.

Prior to retiring in my previous life I was a technician at a TV station and was intimately involved in the digital transition. After the analog shut down the station I worked at moved their digital broadcast from UHF to VHF.

I replaced the old Delta antenna with the Winegard and am pleased with its performance. The last two winters I have stayed in southern Florida out in the boondocks. I can receive some stations but would like a few more. Obviously a broadband VHF/UHF antenna would work best, but these are huge. For times when I'm planted in one spot for a while I'm thinking of setting up a UHF antenna to supplement the Winegard and switch between the two.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
purdum

Post by purdum »

At the beginning of a three week trip to MN and SD, I purchased a Jack replacement for the Winegard. At a remote area, I installed the Jack ( a very easy exchange) and was very disappointed. I did this three times. I will sell the Jack to anyone interested for $35 and will ship it. In the orginal box and with instructions.
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

It's nice to have a direct comparison between the Winegard and Jack. On the Jack web site they claim "Less directional than traditional RV antennas". This would contradict any claims for high gain. The more directional an antenna is the higher the gain. It's a puzzle though that some people claim better reception with the Jack over the Winegard.

Ron you might want to check to see if you can return the Jack rather than sell it.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

In my quest for more TV I stumbled on this product from Winegard:

http://www.winegard.com/sensar/sensar-pro.php

It's both a signal strength meter and 10db amplifier. You can use it to peak your antenna position before doing a channel scan on your TV. It sells for about $70.

They don't mention it on their web page but this is meant for a Sensar with built in amplifier. It may work with other antennas that require 12 volt. The Sensar that I have is not amplified so I would have to change out the head to use this.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
Steve

Post by Steve »

I to have had problems getting a good signal with our Winegard Sensar III, I did purchase the Sensar Pro TV signal strength meter a couple of days ago and will try and install it next week. I'll report on how it works. I do not have room for the UHF adapter but if I need it I'll figure something else out.

Steve
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Steve,
I installed my Sensar so that it lays down left/right rather than front/back. This leaves plenty of room for the Wingman. I had to cut off 8" from the arms so that it wouldn't stick out past the side. I just returned from a 4000 mile trip out west without any problems with the antenna flying off.

Keep us updated on the SensarPro. I may try it rather than set up an additional antenna.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
Steve

Post by Steve »

Tom, I have a 3' WiFi antenna attached near the top of my Sensar antenna and it would hang over the side if I turned it sideways.
Check this out: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... php?t=1059 in Coach Modifications and you will see what I mean. I will let you know after I install and test it.

Steve

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”