Mileage with Ford V10

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

wjhgolf

Mileage with Ford V10

Post by wjhgolf »

Does anyone have any ideas for getting better mileage with their Ford V10? I have a 2002 24ft RB (justb acquired) with 16,000 miles. The best I have been able to get on the highway is 10.5 mpg at 55 mph. I have changed the oil, the air filter and keep the tires properly inflated. I was hoping to get 12-13 mpg. Thanks!
Bill and Sharyn Hill
Clarkston, MI
2002 24ft RB
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Well, I don't get any better than 10.5 and, towing, more like 9.5.
purdum

Post by purdum »

I had a 2004 26 RSB. I got 8.5 to 10 towing a Jeep Wrangler. I could not use cruise control because it would constantly down shift and any fair size hill would cause it to downshift all the way and send us screaming up the hill. I did a great deal of research and ended up purchasing a Banks kit which included headers, full replacement exhaust system, chip, and trans-command which at that time was computer that changed the shift patterns. What a difference. We gained a full three MPG (honest injun) and it made it a pleasure to drive. The cost was high; at that time it has $2200. but it was worth every penny. I don't know what it costs now. We now have a 2011 27 RSB with a V-10 but it has the upgraded transmission and what looks very much like headers. Coming and going to Creede, Co we averaged 9.5 to 10.5 towing our Wranger so don't see any need change anything. Hope this helps.
whemme

Post by whemme »

I have kept detailed gas mileage records for over 60,000 miles in our 2002 Born Free 26' RSB motorcoach. I even correct for the 1% low odometer reading error my particular coach has.

My overall average towing a 3400 lb 2005 Chevrolet Malibu is 8.5 mpg. If I don't tow it, the mileage increases to 9.0 mpg.

However, on individual one day trips going generally uphill into the wind, I have seen it as low as 7.0 mpg and as high as 10.5 mpg going downhill with a tailwind.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Steve

Post by Steve »

Bill do you drive at 55Mph? Do you use synthetic oil?
Steve
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Frankly, I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by the fuel mileage. Did anyone suggest it should be better than 10mpg? We know some people with an older Lazy Daze V-8 23' who only get 8mpg!
whemme

Post by whemme »

Hi Steve,

I drive 63 mph on roads that have at least a 65 mph speed limit and no more than that. I use 5W30 non-synthetic motor oil.

It is kind of interesting. I have made 6 yearly trips out to the Phoenix area from home in Iowa every January with round trip traveled distance each time of approximately 4500 miles. I average 8.0 mph going out to AZ and 9.0 mph on the return trip back to IA. The reason for the difference? Going from IA to AZ is uphill and generally into a head wind. Going from AZ back to IA it is downhill and generally with a tail wind.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Seems to me if you spend $2,000 plus for an upgrade to get better mileage it will take you a long, long time to recoup your investment. Why not just be satisfied with the "normal?"

In April of last year I posted the following:

From 1/12/2003 through 4/13/2010

Miles traveled: 59,125

Gallons Used: 6,590.9

MPG: 8.97

Subtract from the equation generator useage during the same period of 540.6 hours calculated at a usage rate of .5 gallons per hour and the revised figure is 9.35 MPG (59,125 divided by 6320.6).

For info we lived in the BF and used the generator for 215.3 hours from 8/29/05 - 9/10/05 following Hurricane Katrina. Around 50 gallons of gas purchased in 5 gallon containers was not recorded during this period.

We begin each travel day with a full water tank and empty holding tanks. Every gas purchase is a fill-up (184 total fill-ups averaging 35.8 gallons of gas). I would estimate that we carry about 75% of a full propane tank on average. When I've weighed the BF at public scales we have been within 98 percent of the max allowed weight.

We drive 60-70 mph on Interstate highways and near the maximum on secondary roads. Most times, when available, we take a secondary (Blue Highway) road instead of the Interstate. We maintain a steady pace and use the cruise control whenever possible. We rarely tow. Perhaps 10 percent of total miles traveled.
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Dallas Baillio wrote:Seems to me if you spend $2,000 plus for an upgrade to get better mileage it will take you a long, long time to recoup your investment. Why not just be satisfied with the "normal?"
I agree completely Dallas. Would take a long time to recoup that investment for so little gain (1 to 2 mpg?). And most likely some future owner would be the one to reap any benefit. Why not let him do the upgrade? :D

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”