engine problem 2005 v-10

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jasper2222

engine problem 2005 v-10

Post by jasper2222 »

I have a problem with the engine "breaking down", primarily under load. It has always run great but all of sudden this problem just started. I thought maybe it was old gas, (2 months old). I added approx 15 gallons new gas and 2 cans of Techron Addititive. No change. Changed fuel filter, no help.

The engine is just not running that smooth and then when you increase the throttle a little, you get a hesitation and then a feeling of the engine misfiring/or gas starvation or maybe too much gas. I guess another term is that it just starts lugging. Thought maybe "blowing it out" etc. would help, but that did not either.

I read up on the V-10 a little and feel that it could be a bad plug, injector or coil, but just seems strange that it would just start to happen with no warning. Changing plugs seems like a big deal with these engines so I have not done that.

No engine codes or check engine light.

Any ideas???
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

You might try posting your engine problem on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forum, in the V10 section:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/

Be sure to include the info that this is a Ford E-350/450 V10. There is a lot of difference between the F350/450 V10 than the Van version.

You will probably have to register to post.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Wow, I didn't know 'old gas' could be a problem. I just took a trip in September on a tank of two-year-old fuel! No problems whatsoever. During the course of the trip, of course, I replaced it with new gas. :)

No, I doubt the fuel is the issue. Hope you find a good Ford truck service center. JMHO, but I'd definitely go to a place specializing in trucks, not cars.
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Just maybe catalytic converter has plugged.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
karls

Post by karls »

Sounds like fuel starvation. If you are lucky the inline filter under the chassis may be clogged, and its easy to replace.

Probably not ignition as each cylinder has its own coil and there are no points. Could be plugs, but that would come on slowly over many miles, and, assuming they are platinum, they should be good for 100K+ miles.

Let us know what you find.
daryl&mary

Post by daryl&mary »

Reminds me of the story of three engineers in a car that stalled.
-The electrical engineer said, "It must be the battery or the plugs..."
-The mechanical engineer said, "It must be the engine...:
-The software engineer said, "Turn off the key, and then we'll all get out of the car and then get back in again." And the car started right up...

Ok, enough bad humor. I agree with Karls on trying the fuel filter. Had exactly the same symptoms many years ago on an older car, and the new filter took care of it. Frankly, I was a bit surprised that the problem onset was so sudden. Cheap and easy to check and replace too.

Good luck!

Oops -- see you already tried the filter. Is there more than one? Maybe the fuel pump? Had that happen once too.
Daryl & Mary
2006 BFT
liginbf

Post by liginbf »

You might want to check air intake,see if any critters have made a new home in air filter duct,also check mass airflow sensor wire for loose or corrosion. The coils should show a failure code,and emission would show check engine light,a friendly auto parts store may due a quick scan for you. The fuel pumps have been an issue in the past as corrosion in fuel tanks. If it turns out to be fuel tank related ( fuel sock,pump ) while the fuel tank is out I would recommend new fuel line to generator,upgrade the rubber hose to a ethanol compliant one (gates).Again a scan will take a lot of the guess work out.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

If you consider replacing the plugs read up on the plug "blowout" problem with the V-10. There are lots of posts on this web site about it and I am sure an Internet search will provide even more information. I first read about the problem in MOTOR HOME magazine. Someone reading this post may want to help me out here with more specific/technical information.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Guy Carter

Post by Guy Carter »

Your description sounds exactly like my previous rv (another make) had after about 9 months. Long story short - the fuel tank was full of rust! Ford replaced the tank under warranty. Apparently the unit sat on the lot with minimal gas throughout temperature changes, sucked in moist air which condensed inside the tank. Eventually, after use and running down the road, the rust began to break up and started to clog the gas lines, filters, etc. I would advise going to a Ford dealer and have them check it for rust in the tank, etc. Good Luck.
jasper2222

Misfire update

Post by jasper2222 »

BF is back on all 10 Cylinders. It was a COP on the number 1 cylinder. I tried a local garage for diagnostics but they could not show which cylinder was not firing. There were no codes. Tried replacing a COPs with a new one but got frustrated and took it to the dealer. Charge was $250 for new COP, plug, install and diagnostic. Probably not that bad. Also looked at the plug they took out and it is not one of the real long ones. Looks like a regular plug and probably had about 12 threads in the head. (understand some of the older heads only had about 3 threads, hence the blow out problem). Ford recommended replacing the plug as they said that the old one could be fouled up from not firing. Figured I was there, let them have their way. Just glad to have it back running right and back on the road.

Richard
jasper2222

mis fire again

Post by jasper2222 »

Took the motor coach on a small trip. Engine ran fine for about 125 miles. Stopped and got gas. As soon as I started engine I knew it was mis-firing. I don't think it was gas, as the gas would not have had time to get to the engine. Any ideas what would be causing COP's to go bad, or just bad luck. No codes on engine. Also, is there some type of inexpensive code reader that would show what cylinder is now misfiring. If this is going to be an on going thing, I would like to change the bad ones myself.

Will probably try and make it back home and take back to stealer, but they will probably just say "bad luck, it happens that way sometimes".

thanks, Richard

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”