Born Free introduces it's first towable RV

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Mike Astley

Born Free introduces it's first towable RV

Post by Mike Astley »

Things that make you go hmmm... a Born Free trailer ...wholesaling RVs

Change is a foot!

http://rvnewsservice.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ky_30.html
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
ed

Post by ed »

This was taken to the Louiesville show as a prototype & the pricing reflected using a dealer network. We will probably end up marketing these factory direct just like the motorhomes which will make that selling price considerably less.
Ed Newman
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

Thanks for the additional info, Ed. It looks like a nice unit. I like that it's reported 4 season rated.

Any thoughts of having a 4 season rated class C? Seems like you're most the way there already.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
dowellcj

Post by dowellcj »

I second the request for a 4 season coach. The current interior water system tolerates some freezing temps, but the waste tanks not so well. We like winter camping and would love to keep using all the systems.
Caryl & Tom Dowell
Sequim, WA
2015 Splendor (27 RSB)
Prior coach 2008 24RB
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Be nice if they would offer a 4-season option. That way, those of us interested could opt to spend the extra money and those not interested could stay with the base configuration.
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

This has been my biggest disappointment with the 2005 BF I bought earlier this year, the lack of "any" cold weather protection for the gray & black water tanks & drain pipes. Even the "P" trap under the shower is completely exposed to the weather.
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

If you are worried about holding tanks,valves freezing, I'd suggest pouring a gallon of the water system anti-freeze in each tank. That should certainly prevent solid freeze-up and very possibly dump valves will even work without the hair dryer treatment.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

For cold weather running we clean out the freshwater system and blow it dry. Then we put some antifreeze in all the traps and pack a couple of 2 gallon containers of water and some additional antifreeze for the sink. It limits our excursions, but it allows a lot of cold weather going away time.
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

I have traveled during the winter and plan to do so again this year, so I know many of the tricks of the trade.

My biggest disappointment with my Born Free is that it was built as a 2 season coach. I say 2 season as you better be careful about freezes in early spring or late fall.

Born Free's are built and sold as a premier class C and IMHO a premier class C should be built as a 4 season coach. Hence my question back to Ed.

I love RVing in my Born Free and would like to do it as easily as possible as often as possible.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Yes, you can dump RV antifreeze in your tanks and drive the BF to warmer temps, but you really can't "use" your rig to actually camp in places which potentially drop to down below about 28F for several hours. Or if you camp where a cold front comes through and drops to the temps to 28-30F for 36-48 hours before warming up. This is very common in the spring or fall, or if you try to use the rig in the winter in the southwestern states.

I have to laugh (cry is more like it) when I read my owners manual which states, paraphrasing, "The BF is built to use in the winter, as long as you use the furnace, just put RV antifreeze in the plumbing". Yea right, about all you can do is sleep in it, can't use the sinks, shower or toilet.
lassen

Post by lassen »

Sam.....Thats a rip-off. Right now its $2.98 a gallon at the Menards store in Mitchell.
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Sam, it must be a Dallas thing! I only paid $3/gallon at our Walmart and then bought some more at an auto parts store [Walmart was out] where it was $5/gallon.
charlesbell

Born Free introduces it's first towable

Post by charlesbell »

Does anyone know if B.F. will display the new trailer at the Tampa RV show in January?
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
southshoremidwife

Post by southshoremidwife »

Jerry and I have spent the last 2 winters in Benson, AZ which is considered the high desert. Days are 60ish and once the sun goes down temps drop to the low 30s and may times down to 25 over night. Last winter Benson saw about 48 hours of continuous below freezing temps and about 36 hours of single digit temps. We had no trouble with freezing of holding tanks or pipes. We did disconnect the fresh water hose from the coach and used water from the fresh water tank. We ran the furnace at the temps we usually use during the winter. And we did leave the door open from the cabin to the bathroom. We wouldn't hesitate camping anywhere in the winter in the Born Free (except wouldn't go to Alaska).
liginbf

Post by liginbf »

Charles, spoke with Ed at BF, as of now no ,it's going to shows up north.Same floor plan as 27RB, I sure if there's interest we will see other floor plans.
Last edited by liginbf on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”