New Born Free Model

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Roadtech

New Born Free Model

Post by Roadtech »

I saw a new Born Free 33 foot built on Ford F550 chassis at the Florida RV Show yesterday. Looks nice.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

JMHO, but if I wanted something that big again [and I wouldn't] I'd get another Class A. Our 36' Foretravel drove better than most Class Cs, including my BF.
mchlfnd

33 foot BF on ford f550 chassis ?

Post by mchlfnd »

Hi,

So was the front end like a GM Kodiak chassis with an engine hood out front ?

Probably was a diesel?

Any indication if it will go to production?

Thanks!

Michael
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

It is probably similar to this, which is built on a Ford F550 truck chassis, instead the E350 & E450 Van chassis most class C's are built on.

http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/Isata-F-Series/overview.php
Roadtech

Post by Roadtech »

Yes, al1florida, it is built on the Ford F550 truck chassis like the Dynamax you show in your post.
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Born Free has the rig on their website in the factory stock section:
http://www.bornfreemotorcoach.com/class ... torcoaches

I am surprised they had the gas engine instead of the diesel. Something this size would be much better with the diesel.
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Roadtech,
Since you saw the rig, how accessible are the driver & passenger seats from the living area? The pictures on BF website makes it look more difficult than the BF built on the van chassis. In the picture it kind of looks like there is a center console between the seats rather than a walk way.
Roadtech

Post by Roadtech »

It seemed just accessible as the E450. The cab, however, is much more comfortable than the E450 van. It has much more legroom. You are adding a lot of length with the truck chassis though.
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

The issue with building this model on a Frieghtlliner chassis is the cost. The Frieghtliner chassis is very expensive both to purchase and to maintain.
The cab floor is lower than the coach floor. There is a platform between the driver and passenger seats. It is about 1/4 of the way up the seat. You have to step down on that platform and then step down into the seat. The other thing that is hard to see in the pictures is the height of the over-the-cab area. Because the Ford F-550 cab is lower than the Chevrolet Kodiak this area is higher. So high that an adult can actually sit up without hitting their head on the ceiling. IMHO it makes the over-the-cab area really useful as a sleeping area without being claustrophobic. The coach is a widebody and is the same length as the Kodiak version. The 1 foot difference is due to the Ford cab being longer. All in all it is a very spacious coach if 33 feet is your desire. I understand that it handles and rides extremely comfortably. The Ford chassis, I was told, is available in a diesel and for you adventurous folks, 4 wheel drive.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
whemme

Post by whemme »

Below are two photos of the Born Free 33' Rear Queen built on the Ford F550 chassis. The 1st photo I copied from the Born Free factory website and the 2nd photo was sent to me by club member Joel Lefkowitz taken by him while this new motorcoach was on display at the recently held 2012 Florida RV SuperShow Rally.
Attachments
Born Free 33' Rear Queen Photo 1.jpg
Born Free 33' Rear Queen Photo 1.jpg (103.48 KiB) Viewed 18516 times
Born Free 33' Rear Queen Photo 2.jpg
Born Free 33' Rear Queen Photo 2.jpg (49.36 KiB) Viewed 18518 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
William Higbie

born free 33

Post by William Higbie »

I would think if someone wanted that m/h of that size they surely would want slides. Wouldn't it be great if Born Free offered a small (less than 30 ft class A with the quality we all enjoy in our current born free. I still love my 1996 26 ft rsb but if I went bigger I might go to a class A of 30' with slides.
John S.

Post by John S. »

I think they could put it on a 26 footer. That might be the best of both worlds.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Born Free is always exploring/probing other RV income streams. I would devote those dollars to improving/expanding the existing bread 'n butter of the company - the E450 mainframe.
Gotta agree with you there, Sam!
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

There's a lot of vehicle way out in front of the coach part, possibly an issue for parking or when towing a trailer, it might be too long when towing in some of the shorter combined length states in the east. If your use doesn't have either of these issues, it should give you a lot of space inside, and a lot of extra protection from a frontal assault by an inattentive driver coming your way.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Looking at the photos, it appears that the hood on the F550 is about 3 feet longer than the E-450. This would mean that you get about 30 feet of living space, or just three feet more than the 27 RSB. Six feet longer, a larger turning radius may not offset three feet more of living space for many potential owners. A comparison of the cargo carrying capacity would be useful in evaluating models. Many other questions come to mind.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”