StowAway rear storage container

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jdarryl

Post by jdarryl »

We have just ordered our 26BF and wondering if anyone has experience with storage containers attached to the reaf bumper, on the roof etc?

Suggestions, pros and cons...

Thanks!
mi99amigo

Post by mi99amigo »

Before picking up our BF from the dealer, we asked the factory to add a roof pod for some $300+. It certainly helps with less used items such as extension power cord or water hoses. Hauling things up to it is a pain, though.

However, I have been toying with the idea of adding a hitch mounted cargo system, but have ot found the perfect one yet. As we all know, BFs are not great on outside storage. Right now, I have to store my Weber Q inside, under the bed. Not the easiest to haul out for a quick meal.
Bill Ruh

Post by Bill Ruh »

If you haven't had an rv before, consider trying a few outings before you start adding storage space. Lots of folk bring things they rarely (or never) use, especially when starting out.

But, if you know exactly what you need and you know you can't fit it in the space you have, no one is better at adding it than the factory.

A hitch box will add length and may preclude towing or bike rack options. A roof pod is ok for light stuff, but anything heavy is hard to store and puts weight high, which impairs handling.

FWIW, we've done several 9-day trips with 6 (carrying a tent) and a 3-week trip with 4 in our 21.5' rear door and have always had enough room. And we have the old jackknife sofabed which does not have underseat storage...
springerbill

Post by springerbill »

We are proud BF owners and are on our second 26'. Our current one is a 2001 26RB, the previous a 1999 26RSB. We have found that the storage capacity, inside and outside, is very adequate for our gear, including a spare tire carried under the couch. My recommendation is to carefully study the weight specs, become familiar with the GVWR's and the amount of cargo capacity recommended. One of the biggest mistake motorhome owners make is overloading the rig. Be careful about adding a lot of weight on the rear. The 26' has quite a lot of rear axle overhang and adding a storage pod on the rear will compound the weight on the rear axle. Happy motoring in your BF. Bill Lyon
jdarryl

thanks for the input

Post by jdarryl »

I think we will be towing a vehicle so will probably use this for extra storage and the advice of checking towing capacity and GV is well taken.
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

jdaryl: We have a 21 ft Built for Two and we tow a Chevy Tracker.
Because the Built for Two has a minimum of usable storage space, we have elected to modify the back seat of the Tracker to carry the spare tire for the BFT. Because of the weight and size of the truck spare, we were very careful to find means to solidly anchor the spare because if there was ever an accident, heaven forbid, we didn't want 80 pounds of spare tire bouncing arouind on our heads. We like the Tracker for a toad, because it is 4WD and has gotten us out of several missadventures that a two wheel drive automobile would have left us stranded.
robert

Post by robert »

I had the factory install a roof pod on my new 2002 24RB. For every day use, it would be a real pain. I use mine to carry a spare tire (just the tire, not the wheel). I previously had a specially configured 1997 RSB model. Because of the extra weight it was carrying, including a washer/dryer, I was always blowing the inner duals and it was not always easy to buy the right tire size on the road. It also had the original Firestone tires when I bought it used in Dec 1997. Even though I changed them all out to Michilen tires, I still had problems with the inner duals. I could not make a trip without replacing at least one tire. When I sold it, I did warn the buyer of the problem. They had a blow out on the way home with the coach.
w5vthdonb

Post by w5vthdonb »

Jdarrly
I would recomend you using the BF first before adding a pod on the roof. I had one years ago on a Kings Highway. It is a pain in getting things up and down.
After four 40 foot custom Vogue diesels, and full timing, when we down sized to a 24 footer we filled up a garage on junk we really were just carrying.
We have a 26 RSB BF and spent six months on the road as well as dry camping in Key West for four months. We found we had everything we needed with out any problems.
My advise is to get your unit. Pack what you think you may need, and after a couple of trips if you don/t use it removed it. I am not refering to tools, fuses, oil, flares, etc. as they are needed for minor repair and in case of an emergency.
I just notice one of the members is from DeLand FL. I have a daughter there and camped in that area quite a few times. Almost moved from Pensacola FL their, but the wife decided she wanted to come back home to Texas.
Don USN ret.

Just sold our RV and Toad to Fourwinds
26'RSB
1987 Cabriolet Covertable Toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”