Washington, DC

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Jim Hofmann

Washington, DC

Post by Jim Hofmann »

We are planning a trip to DC in early spring of 2013. We hope to spend 5-10 days in the area which should allow time to do the Smithsonian. We are wondering if any of you have done this, and if so any recommendations on RV parks? Use a toad or public transportation while there? Any other suggestions?

Jim and Ramona
jeffcarp

Re: Washington, DC

Post by jeffcarp »

We have not RV'ed in DC, but have been there a couple times. Without question, the recurring recommendation that shows up on RV.NET forums is Cherry Hill Park @ http://www.cherryhillpark.com/ That park gets mentioned 10x more than any other park in the area, though I have to assume there are other choices.
Jim Hofmann wrote:We are planning a trip to DC in early spring of 2013. We hope to spend 5-10 days in the area which should allow time to do the Smithsonian. We are wondering if any of you have done this, and if so any recommendations on RV parks? Use a toad or public transportation while there? Any other suggestions?

Jim and Ramona
2011 Born Free 22' Rear Side Kitchen
charlesbell

Washington, D.C.

Post by charlesbell »

I have both lived in D.C. and camped at Cherry Hill. There's a DC metro bus that comes through the park throughout the day and connects to metro rail. It's an easy connection and ride, however, it's not especially quick. Unless you are strong of heart I would not drive into the District. For me, The District of Columbia is one of the most enjoyable (and economical) cities you can visit.
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

yep Cherry Hill Park and NO NOT DRIVE IN DC. I lived in Columbia for 18 years and the DC beltway is like the Daytona 500. There are many not so good areas down there and you are bound to end up in one of them because no one will give you break to get over if you are in the wrong lane.

I would do Baltimore in a New York minute....I don't do DC beltway.
2005 26' RSB Casual Elegance
charlesbell

Washington D.C.

Post by charlesbell »

I've found that traveling through the Washington, D.C. area to Cherry Hill campground (or leaving) is less stressful early on Sunday morning.
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

We just safely "camped" in front of our son's home in NW DC for four nights. Getting there from Arlington VA was a real challenge. Narrow streets are nearly impassable with cars let alone a motorhome, Parking is impossible near the sites. Public transportation is wonderful. Enjoy that beautiful city and all that it offers.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
charlesbell

Washington DC

Post by charlesbell »

The Washington metro bus and metro rail is safe and easy to use and understand. Washington is a pedestrian and tourist friendly city. Do NOT take an RV in the city, in my opinion. As a runner I have run or walked in nearly every neighborhood. Nonetheless, as in every city, visitors have to be aware, alert, and sober.
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

I don't think you can find a time for less traffic in DC The mass transit is not dicey and dangerous. It is clean and efficient and easy to use. I agree with Charles - do not drive your Born Free to the government sites. You will spend all day looking for a place to park.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

We wish to thank everyone for their imput. It appears that the consensus is to stay at Cherry Creek Park and utilize public transport. Also, it seems that it would be prudent to schedule arrival in the area on a Sunday.
If anyone has any info on another Park in the area, would like to hear about it- having a plan B is helpful sometimes.

Jim & Ramona
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Another alternative, although quite a bit further away, is Prince William Forest RV Campground, formerly known as Travel Trailer Village. It is in Dumfries, VA, south of DC. It is fairly inexpensive, but you would have to take a vehicle to a Metro stop to get into DC. We have used it as a convenient first night stop on our way south to Florida (we live 50 miles north-east of NYC).

It is fine as an overnight stop, and is convenient to the Marine Corps Museum, but is not all that convenient for getting into DC proper. It has a fairly nice bath house, good, free, high-speed internet access, full hookups, propane fill, etc., etc., etc.

We have never stayed at Cherry Hill Park, but the reviews seem to be very good, and it certainly seems to be a very good option for doing DC. I suspect that we would use it for that purpose.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

In planning our route we are thinking of going up 64/81 in Virginia. Looking at the map it appears that Skyline drive from Waynesboro to Front Royal might be worth a look.
1. Any comments on this route?
2. From Front Royal to Collage Park Md. any suggestions on route?

We will be traveling on Sunday from Waynesboro to Collage park. Is the Skyline route feasable for a leisurely day trip?

On a slightly different subject: Any recommendations on a "free" routing service that allows you to plug in how far you want to drive in a day and then will route you with your perameters noted?

Jim

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”