Wall and Ceiling Fabric Cleaning

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

txtrio

Wall and Ceiling Fabric Cleaning

Post by txtrio »

We are new owners of a 2005, 26 RSB. We want to clean the fabric on the walls and ceiling and would like to hear what others use and how to clean it. There is a water stains in one corner. There are larger areas that are a darker color than the rest of the ceiling. This area is not water damage or where former owner touched. Perhaps, this is where air has hit it. It is a nonsmoking coach.

Also, we would like to hear how to bring the life back to the wood. Has anyone lightly sanded and sealed all the wood?

Thank you for your help. We are doing several modifications, such as, new Corian counters, vinyl plank flooring, replacing drapes, wall mounted flat screen tv and replacing the sofa and chairs with a couple of Laz-Boy chairs.
Sab & Ann

Ceiling and Wall Stain Cleaner

Post by Sab & Ann »

We have had very good success with "Woolite Spot & Stain Carpet Cleaner" also called "Woolite OXY DEEP". Should cost about $5 for a 22 Fl oz spray bottle. Please follow the directions on the lable.
2000 RB, E450
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I use a product called Spot Shot by the WD-40 company that works outstanding.

Following are links to 3 threads in this forum that sing its praises:

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... =spot+shot

Comes in aerosol or pump spray, available at Walmart, and probably most any big box hardware store or grocery store.

Bill
Attachments
spot shot.jpg
spot shot.jpg (76.88 KiB) Viewed 9592 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
quonset

Post by quonset »

Spray with a 50% solution of unscented bleach and water. Depending on how dark the stain is, you may have to spray more than once. It works better than anything else I have tried on water stains. Be careful though to cover whatever is underneath from spray droplets.
Russ Hagberg
Columbus, GA
1995 BF 21 BFT
Tom and Jennifer Pierpan

Post by Tom and Jennifer Pierpan »

We were recently out in Humboldt and I have the same concerns that you write about. They use 10% bleach/90% water on the water stains in a spray bottle to remove the residue on the carpet areas. May need to be repeated several times.
The "grey areas" were another discussion entirely. We have them as well, especially around the door and along the overhead area above the two front seats. It is not water but rather dust/dirt that accumulates where the carpeting has little or no backing material behind it, mostly where stretched around openings. No suggestions were forthcoming ( except to recarpet area!) on how to remove that "shadowy" look.

Jennifer
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

We have that same dirty look around the door and the fan opening in our '99 23RK - no indication of any water intrusion. Would love to know how to clean it.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
txtrio

Post by txtrio »

Has anyone used steam cleaning with minimum water on the entire area? if so what were the results? Has anyone put new fabric/carpet on the ceiling and wall? If so what was the cost?

By the end of this week I am going to try something and will post the results here.

We had the entire floor including the cab area redone last week. We were pleased with it since the carpet showed a lot of wear.

Our 2005 owners manual advises dry cleaning the drapes. I washed them and they look new. Did not need ironing.

I guess I am "spring cleaning"!
whemme

Post by whemme »

Jim and Georgia,

There is a possibility that the 'gray' areas in your ceiling and sidewall covering could actually be excessive adhesive bleed-thru instead of dirt. According to a report (I believe somewhere on this website that I could not find) some Born Free coaches suffered from this problem during manufacture.

You could maybe call Kim Olson (Service Dept) at the factory and describe the issue and he could advise you.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”