Almost an owner

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bjepp

Almost an owner

Post by bjepp »

Hello all,

I am preparing to finalize a deal on a 1999 26' RSB. It has been beautifully kept and only has 32k on the 450 chasis. I have done extensive research however I was wondering if there is anything about this model and year that I should be aware of before finalizing? I am looking forward to traveling.
whemme

1999 BORN FREE 26" RSB COACH

Post by whemme »

bjepp,

If the unit is in good condition is should be a very good unit for you. Assuming it has the V10 gas engine, one of the differences between the 1998 and 1999 models of the E-450 (and E-350) chassis and the 2000 and later year models is that the horsepower was increased from 265 to 305 in the newer units. I have owned both a 1999 24' RB and now a 2002 26' RSB and they are both excellent coaches. One thing I would check on due to the 7 year age is that the disk brake caliper 'sliders' should be relubricated with grease. If these slider's ever stick or jam because of lack of lubrication and age, the repair can be quite expensive. The need for this necessary periodic maintenance item was never published in Ford's manual for owners.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bjepp

Post by bjepp »

Thanks for the info. Can lubricating the "sliders" be owner maintained or should this be done by a Ford mechanic?
whemme

B RAKE CALIPER SLIDER LUBRICATION

Post by whemme »

I have not done it myself but I am pretty sure is requires removal of the wheels and dismounting of the brake calipers. Unless you are a mechanic with jacks and appropriate tools, it is probably something you should have done by a competent brake shop.

Maybe someone else on the board with experience can post further information about this maintenance item.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

The 450 chassis also has increased carrying capacity . . . i.e., a bigger "payload." However, don't let that lull you into overloading the coach.

So far, we haven't overloaded our 24RB, but that's not because we're being careful. Our trip loads just haven't gone over the limitations. Maybe we don't carry enough supplies, but we always seem to have everything that we need on board.
Barbara & Ken
bjepp

Post by bjepp »

Well I am almost there with my ownership of a 1999 26' RSB. I mailed my deposit today and will pick the unit up on 4/5/06. Then is will be a leisurely 650 mile drive home. I am really looking forward to it. I appreciate everyone who has been of great help as I pursued my due diligence.

:D
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

Congratulations and welcome! I am sure you will love your new BF. We certainly love ours and all of the wonderful advice that you can get from the people on this website. It has saved our fannies more than once. Get moving!

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”