Good Sam Extended Service Plans

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

wjhgolf

Good Sam Extended Service Plans

Post by wjhgolf »

I have never been keen on extended service plans for anything, much less for vehicles and the Good Sam plans appear a little expensive. I do have Good Sam Roadside Assistance, but no extended service plan. I realize that major repairs could be expensive, but I think I'm willing to keep my BF maintained and take me chances. However, I would be interested in hearing some other opinions. Thanks.
Bill and Sharyn Hill
Clarkston, MI
2002 24ft RB
stevek

Post by stevek »

I would also been interested in this as a new owner.
How much does it cost?
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
wjhgolf

Cost of Good Sam ESP

Post by wjhgolf »

i have a quote for their "Silver" plan for $520 for a year with a $500 deductible or $650 for their "Gold" plan and that doesn't cover "everything".
Bill and Sharyn Hill
Clarkston, MI
2002 24ft RB
stevek

Post by stevek »

Seems reasonable to me.
So a little over $50/ mo for the best one.
But doesn't cover everything? Like what?
OR..Maybe just stick $650 in bank for future repairs?
Sure would give you peace of mind.
Particularly for a person like me, first time RVer and all the "RV stuff on board" is greek to me.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
whemme

Post by whemme »

Be sure to carefully read the fine print on any extended service plan that you consider. The wording can be kind of cagey. When I was considering an extended service plan for a BMW I owned some years ago, my research on several plans offered contained the following description of the coverage for the engine and transmission for example: The plan would cover any moving parts in them. However, if you ended up with a cracked head or cracked engine block, for example, there would be no coverage since those are not moving parts. A blown head or exhaust gasket would also not be covered.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
wjhgolf

Good Sam ESP

Post by wjhgolf »

So, Bill.......do you have an ESP on your 2002 BF?
Bill and Sharyn Hill
Clarkston, MI
2002 24ft RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Bill,

No I do not. And after 72,000 miles on my 2002 Ford E450 based Born Free motorcoach, I have had absolutely no problems so far - knock on wood! Just routine maintenance such as tires, alignment, oil and filter changes, etc. Still has the original brake pads.

However, it is recommended that you have the disk brake sliders re-greased maybe every 40,000 miles or so. If one of those freezes up, it will destroy a brake caliper causing some major repair expenses.

At least in my case so far, any money I would have spent buying an Extended Service Plan would have been wasted. The money saved has easily paid for all routine maintenance so far with money left over.

But I realize that others may have had different experiences.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

I must agree with Bill Hemme regarding the extended services offered by the various companies. After 40+ years of motorhoming I know I am way ahead by not using them.

On another note I received an email last week from a club member that just signed up with roadside assistance with Coach-Net and they are still giving a first time subscriber the club discount that was initiated in 2008 (a club ID password is required to obtain the discount).
Mel & Connie
wjhgolf

ESP or Maintenance?

Post by wjhgolf »

I actually had to have the following done at just over 20,000 miles due primarily to rust from the lack of driving by the original owner (not me).....brakes (front and rear rotors turned, front and rear pads, front calipers cleaned and greased and rear calipers replaced and greased). The service center where I ahd that work done also does not recommend ESP's.
Bill and Sharyn Hill
Clarkston, MI
2002 24ft RB
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

I just looked up at all the repair invoices for my BF 26rsb since 1997 and they add up to 2,847 dollars. I did not include normal maintenance in that dollar amount. BTW I have 82k miles on the rig. If my math serves me right I would have spent $9750 for extended warrantee insurance. Doesnt seem like a good deal to me. I also have a toad 2000 honda accord with 147k miles and my repair records show one replacement timing belt for 980 dollars so I would have lost a bunch of money on warrantee insurance. These extended warrantee policy sales are like mining gold from a rich vein for the companies that offer them.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”