New design decals being considered for new Born Free coaches

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Horton

Bold decals

Post by Horton »

We think this goes overboard.. It does make it look like a rental.
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

The lion is OK. It's the - BORNfree - I don't like. Too B&W (newspaper headline?), rigid, boxy, framed like a sign. Sam's right; why not add the 800 number and a url. The little one on the back with the gray letters is cool.

Mike
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Mike & Jean Bandfield wrote: Sam's right; why not add the 800 number and a url.
Yeah! Maybe they'll pay us to drive them around. :lol:
Rob

Post by Rob »

We've often commented on the garish graphics of other RV's along our travels. At the same time, we've been proud of our BF's subtle simplicity. So, all I can say is, less is more. Not to mention that the picture shows the graphics going over some storage doors but the one just to the left of the door is missing. Stick with simplicity...much classier. Joan Beery

Rob and Joan Beery
2003 24RB
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Reading the latest bulletin from the factory I can say that after 40+ years and 11 different motorhomes it is very refreshing to have a manufacturer that actually invites owner input on important issues such as this one. Am I glad we own a Born Free, you gotta believe I am.
Mel & Connie
dowellcj

Post by dowellcj »

Glad they are getting input from their users. Add two more to the thumbs down list. The lion is way too overpowering. We, too, like subtle, nature colors, and would rather have more of an understated look. Don't like how the "born" overpowers the "free" either. Neither of us are artists, but surely some of our members can take them up on their offer to design a better color scheme and still keep our Coaches the best looking ones around.
Caryl & Tom Dowell
Sequim, WA
2015 Splendor (27 RSB)
Prior coach 2008 24RB
Laker

Post by Laker »

I am at the FMCA show in Indy where the new coach/ decal is on display.

As a potential buyer it is NOT a turn off for me. The decal is in a light blue and on the larger coach look great. I am not so sure about the smaller 22 & 24' units

Before you pass final judgement, see it in person.

It should not deter a new purchase.
Looking for 2011 or newer RSB

2008 27' RB. SOLD,
2007 Chevy HHR "toad"
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with Ready Brake
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

Laker, If you like the design of the decal, then it is a plus in your decision to buy the coach. Unfortunately many potential customers of Born Free will not see the coach in person before they make a buy decision. The vast majority of the people on this forum do not seem to like it. But beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We are all committed BornFree owners and our criticism is honest and based on what we think is best for the good folks in humbolt.

If quality and value and a distinctive coach is of importance to you then place an order ASAP and join in the fun we all enjoy. If you like the coach with the new graphics order it that way, if you dont ask them for the older graphics.

Bill
Laker

Post by Laker »

I am sorry that my remarks may not have been well organized. I didn't mean to imply that folks should base their decision to purchase based upon the graphics. We all appreciate the quality of BF.

When I first saw the new graphics on the web, I thought they were terrible and I agreed with the majority of the posters. However, after looking at them again and then seeing them in person today, I find them to be great. I gave my comments to Scott and Jerry and suggestions to improve.

That is just my opinion, everyone makes their own decisions. I just appreciate that BF gave folks a chance to respond. If I was to buy new, the graphic is acceptable to me. Just my $.02 worth.

As I am looking for a quality used unit, graphics won't be a factor for me.

2008 27' RB. SOLD,
2007 Chevy HHR "toad"
jeffcarp

Post by jeffcarp »

Them being acceptable in person but not in pictures seems like a significant problem for BF. How many people narrow a purchase decision based on the Internet?
2011 Born Free 22' Rear Side Kitchen
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Jalan,

I think Born Free has taken a giant step in the right direction by working with the folks at Lazy Days RV to make their coaches more available for a "hands on" inspection. The Florida and Arizona locations are certainly in excellent locations for all seasons availability. We had previously purchased two coaches from Lazy Days and were treated well in both cases.
Mel & Connie
jjhepkin

New Design Decals

Post by jjhepkin »

After reading all of the comments, especially the latest by the person who actually saw the prototype design, why not offer this as well as other design options to give customers a choice on several design/color schemes.
I happen to have a coach that is completely painted in a bold "swirl like" design and, while I think it is really neat looking, I am sure many fellow, born free owners would prefer a simpler look.
I remember years ago when we bought our first honda accord, it came with only 3 color choices. The only options were manual or automatic transmissions. Obviously very different today.
The earlier poster refers to Hyundai and how well they have done vs. their competition. My take is a little different. I dont disagree with their success, but feel it has come as the result of their building a LOW cost QUALITY alternative to their competition, while at the same time, knocking off their competitions's styling.....not the other way round.
Born Free seems to me to have chosen a different marketing approach.
They certainly are not the LOW cost provider, but instead have sold their coach as among the best quality, safest, long lasting on the market.
I think the more choices, including color and/or design they offer, the broader their appeal would be.
One area they are severely lacking is in the area of on line marketing.
One almost gets the feeling they dont really, really want your business based on how poorly their on line pictures and presentation is.
Frankly, I would think with new management they would have addressed this already.
I would almost be willing to bet that Born Free would be rated at or near the bottom vs. their competition in this area.
John & Janet Hepkin

2009 28' RSB Kodiak Chassis 8.1L
Previously owned 2004 Chinook Destiny
Lorna Ontjes

New graphic

Post by Lorna Ontjes »

We just returned from the INDY FMCA Rally. At first glance, I thought "What are they doing?" and "no". But after observing longer, I have come to like the new design and vote "Yes". It once again makes the Born Free distinctive on the road. The INDY design does need some "tweaking". Brown tones would be more attractive. The stripe on the cab should be removed and replaced by a curved design that flows towards the lion. The large logo on the back should be much smaller; again, replace the straight lines with curves (or delete the lines). A small matching logo on the cabover would be appropriate. The early prototypes shown to the Leap'n Lions are very different from the design at INDY (the INDY design had no logo on the side). Attached is a picture from the INDY rally.
Attachments
BF INDY FMCA 2012.jpg
BF INDY FMCA 2012.jpg (27.8 KiB) Viewed 11028 times
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Sorry...but I still don't like it.... Looks like a rental with an 'ad' on it....
Laker

Re: New graphic

Post by Laker »

I also attended FMCA and had the same response. I like the new graphic and agree with your suggestions for improvement, especially for the smaller graphic on the rear of the coach. I am pleased to see someone who agrees that the new graphic is not all that bad.

BUT, "reality lies in the eyes of the beholder", so respect and appreciate each individuals choice and opinion.

Lorna Ontjes wrote:We just returned from the INDY FMCA Rally. At first glance, I thought "What are they doing?" and "no". But after observing longer, I have come to like the new design and vote "Yes". It once again makes the Born Free distinctive on the road. The INDY design does need some "tweaking". Brown tones would be more attractive. The stripe on the cab should be removed and replaced by a curved design that flows towards the lion. The large logo on the back should be much smaller; again, replace the straight lines with curves (or delete the lines). A small matching logo on the cabover would be appropriate. The early prototypes shown to the Leap'n Lions are very different from the design at INDY (the INDY design had no logo on the side). Attached is a picture from the INDY rally.

2008 27' RB. SOLD,
2007 Chevy HHR "toad"

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”