Portable Air Compressors

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jjhepkin

Portable Air Compressors

Post by jjhepkin »

I have been looking over various air compressors on Amazon's web site.
Even with the feedback it is hard to decide on which one to buy.

Thought I would see if anyone here is using one they have been pleased with.

The one I have now I bought at Costco a couple of years ago and it is really too small (12v) to work on my 95 psi tires.

Thanks
John
John & Janet Hepkin

2009 28' RSB Kodiak Chassis 8.1L
Previously owned 2004 Chinook Destiny
jeffcarp

Post by jeffcarp »

I purchased this Goodyear unit last year: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D5 ... 00_s01_i01

It is compact for storage, can run on DC (or you can buy a separate AC converter), does a reasonably quick job of adding air and is VERY quiet. I used it in a campground in the morning and thought nothing of disturbing my neighbors.
2011 Born Free 22' Rear Side Kitchen
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

A half dozen years ago, several of us purchased the 115V Westward 3jr69 air compressor. This has been a great asset for me, as I use it in my coach and around the house frequently. Unfortunately, I don't see it being offered from sale anywhere on the internet anymore. :cry:

Here is the previous discussion thread on air compressors:

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... edcc52c875

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

Our previous bf was a 32 foot president on the kodiac chasis, it had a built in compressed for the air suspension, we had a fitting installed to tap into it, just a thought.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

On the link bcope01 has listed above is a Sear's 110 volt air compressor. I bought one of these and had only one occasion to use it, but it worked fine in my emergency. My BF tires were low and I left home on a trip without checking them. When I did it was 2 a.m. Pulled into an empty fully lighted shopping center and started my generator, plugged the compressor into the outside 110 volt outlet and inflated all 6 tires. Had to use an extension cord to reach front left wheel. Only downside is it takes a while to inflate each tire.

I did not find this compressor on the Sears web site, but here is an Amazon.com link that appears to be just like the Sears model.

http://www.amazon.com/Bon-Aire-BA121L-1 ... r+120+volt
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
jjhepkin

Portable Ar Compressors

Post by jjhepkin »

Just wanted to thank those folks who responded to my message about air compressors.

I have looked at several models and decided, based on my tire size to go with a 120 volt plug in model. That way I can use the outside plug on my coach to provide the power source, rather than the 12v plug or battery connectors.

I found a Sears compressor that seems to meet my needs and ordered it on Ebay. It puts out 2.0SCFM @90PSI.
It comes with a 25' coiled air hose and 25' power cord. Cost was $90.00.

Thanks again to the responders for their help.
Regards
John
John & Janet Hepkin

bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

John, what Sears/Craftsman Model #?

Thanks, Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
jjhepkin

Portable Ar Compressors

Post by jjhepkin »

Hi Bill

It is Craftsman model # 15309.
It is listed as a Craftsman 1.5 Gallon Portable Air Compressor w/Hose and 8 pc Accessory Kit

Dimensions: 19 in High x 13.5 in Long x 11 in Wide

Best regards
John
John & Janet Hepkin

deek

Post by deek »

I went back and forth in my mind about whether to get a 120V compressor or a 12V compressor. With the RV, it would be a cinch to fire up the generator and run a compressor. However, I also need a compressor when I take my motorcycle trailer out with my truck. So, I got the ExtremeAire 12 volt Portable Compressor. It's pricey, but it rocks. Additionally, it fills the RV tires up so fast it's really unbelievable. Having had a couple of less expensive 12V compressors, this one really gets it done.

If you're looking for a fast fill, this one does it well.

Happy Hunting,
Damon
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

deek wrote:I went back and forth in my mind about whether to get a 120V compressor or a 12V compressor. With the RV, it would be a cinch to fire up the generator and run a compressor. However, I also need a compressor when I take my motorcycle trailer out with my truck. So, I got the ExtremeAire 12 volt Portable Compressor. It's pricey, but it rocks. Additionally, it fills the RV tires up so fast it's really unbelievable. Having had a couple of less expensive 12V compressors, this one really gets it done.

If you're looking for a fast fill, this one does it well.

Happy Hunting,
Damon
Do you have a link for more info, or to where you bought the compressor?
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Yes Damon, link please. :D

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
stevek

Post by stevek »

I think this is it.
http://www.extremeoutback.com/products/ ... ssors.html

Note they are in Vacaville, CA.
Between Sacramento and San Francisco.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Their website info states the smaller compressor for about $100 is best used for airing up ATV sized tires.

The one for about $400 is for RV type tires. It looks like a really good compressor, but sure isn't cheap. As the old saying goes: "you get what you pay for".
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

While many are 110/12V, it is impractical to use the 12V. As stated above, running the generator and using the 110 is best. And still pretty slow.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I found this; Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow Hi-Volume Air Compressor and it works well for our use. It is 12vdc and I carry it with me in our Jeep Liberty so we have it at all times. It does draw about 30 amps so you have to connect it directly to the battery but it will pressurize my jeep tire in about 2 minutes or less.

http://www.allthingsjeep.com/q-industri ... essor.html $70.00

http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV50-S ... B000BM8RT8 $57.00

Steve

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”