Need suggestions: How to best organize closet in 24' RB?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Trix

Need suggestions: How to best organize closet in 24' RB?

Post by Trix »

How to best organize the clothes closet in the 24' Rear Bath?

It's a nice closet, with all that space to the right of the door and at floor level, but I'm afraid it will turn into a black hole.

Does anyone have some nifty solutions to share that I haven't considered yet?

TIA
Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
learning RV'g in my 2007 24' RB
2011 Subaru Forester toad
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

We purchased a set of wire drawers and the frame from Ikea. I believe we cut off the lower drawer (this was a couple of years ago) and just left the upper two drawers, a flat top and the legs just long enough for us to be able to pull out the lower drawer without hitting the closet door frame. This gives each of us an underwear drawer, an extra shelf and there is still hanging space above the drawers and to the right of the drawer unit. There is also room under the lower drawer that can be accessed from the side closet door by the steps. We can slide a couple of pair of shoes in there. It has made for really efficient use of the space.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
Roger

Post by Roger »

We found that the clothes swinging back and forth on the hangers and hitting
the walls of the closet will develop holes where they hit. Not a good thing!
Anyone have a solution?

Regards, Roger
1999 24RB
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

I don't think we have ever had hangers and clothing fall off - perhaps because our closet is quite full.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I found that clothing on hangers leave a bit of space between the rear of the hanger and the rear wall. I installed a couple of hooks on the walls and by placing shoes in plastic bags and hanging them on the hooks leave space on the floor of the closet for other shoes or something else.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
rpc

Post by rpc »

I'm considering building front-facing shelves across the rear of my deep hole closet. I want to keep the weight down, but haven't come up with the solution yet. It might also require installing another light for that back area.

At present, I have a hanging fabric shelf unit from Lowe's, and it's in the forward part of the closet, but it's less than satisfactory.

I'm visiting my brother-in-law next week and hope we can come up with a good option for the shelves.
rpc

24RB closet shelves

Post by rpc »

Well, my new closet shelves are terrific!

My brother-in-law did the measuring and cutting, then I did the finishing and installation. We put in 3 shelves, each 15 1/2 " deep. BUT each shelf is a different width because the locker narrows from bottom to top. Each shelf is supported by three 3/4 x 3/4 wood pieces (one at the curve, one on the outboard side, one in the back corner). The fourth support is a small L bracket on the wood wall.

It was a fair amount of work in a small area, but well worth the effort.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Renee, do you have any photos of your shelving you could share?

Thanks, Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
rpc

Post by rpc »

Here are photos of my shelves. As you can see, on the outboard side, the shelves narrow. In one photo, I show storage in plastic bins. That makes it very easy to grab the bin with socks, ...
Attachments
2013-01-10 18.26.53.jpg
2013-01-10 18.26.53.jpg (67.48 KiB) Viewed 15272 times
2013-01-10 18.21.58.jpg
2013-01-10 18.21.58.jpg (56.13 KiB) Viewed 15272 times
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Nice Renee. Thanks for posting the photos.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Nice shelves but how do you prevent things from falling out?
rpc

Post by rpc »

I've not had anything fall off the shelves, nor have the bins shifted forward. First I tried just putting clothing on the shelves, but it was a bit more difficult to take things out (but nothing fell out). Then switched to plastic bins. Easy to remove each bin, and they also stay put underway.

Of course, I have clothing on the hanging rack, but that's not what keeps shelf items in place. They just don't move. And there is no non-skid on the shelves, just plain old varnished wood (3 coats).
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Maybe you don't have many steep mountain roads in PA. :)
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

mockturtle wrote:Maybe you don't have many steep mountain roads in PA. :)
You should see the potholes in PA!
Attachments
Pothole garbage truck.jpg
Pothole garbage truck.jpg (26.13 KiB) Viewed 15154 times
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
rpc

Post by rpc »

Actually, I was in western NC when these shelves went in and I drove over some passes and serious curves.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”