24RB compared to 25RB

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dean Gradwell

24RB compared to 25RB

Post by Dean Gradwell »

Thinking about a new one.
Has anyone out there shifted from a 24 to a 25RB.
The longer wheelbase has to be a plus for sure but what else?
Regards Dean
2013 Triumph
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Since you have no response, I'll report that on recent trip to Humboldt, I looked at a 25RB without slideout and concluded that main difference was entrance door location. It was not clear to me that there were any other significant differences in storage space, etc. The longer wheel base should marginally improve over the road stability, at the expense of less maneuverability. Difference in length is about 6". I questioned the salesman about how they justified having both models.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
whemme

Post by whemme »

According to the factory website, the 24' RB model is built on a E450 chassis with a 158" wheel base and the 25' RB model is also built on a E450 chassis but with a longer 176" wheel base. The longer wheel base model will have a somewhat larger turning radius but should have somewhat better handling characteristics.
Last edited by whemme on Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
charlesbell

24RB compared to 25RB

Post by charlesbell »

The more spacious bath on the 25' model could be a consideration.
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
Dean Gradwell

Post by Dean Gradwell »

Does Born Free still trim cabinet openings with the iron on veneer?
A source of frustration on our 2004 RB model.
Regards dean
2013 Triumph
Dean Gradwell

Post by Dean Gradwell »

Sam,
That's too bad you are not happy.
I must make it clear I think very highly of the Born Free product. Every time I step into it I find myself smiling.
The trim I'm talking about is what is sometimes done to finish off cabinet edges. Usually works well but in my case has loosened here and there. Mostly in the upper cabinets.
Solution is to carefully glue with Titebond.
Several questions:
--New wall covering nicer than old style carpet/fabric that I have.

--I like the swivel passenger seat the 27 has, can that be utilized in 25. And is the swivel seat rock solid when driving.

--Are the lower outside storage compartments big enough too be useful.

--The fiberglass shell on older units can look "wrinkled", how about the newer shell.

--Any easier to get into the driver/passenger seat from the rear on newer models.

That's it for now
Regards Dean
2013 Triumph
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Dean Gradwell wrote:Sam,
That's too bad you are not happy.
I must make it clear I think very highly of the Born Free product. Every time I step into it I find myself smiling.
The trim I'm talking about is what is sometimes done to finish off cabinet edges. Usually works well but in my case has loosened here and there. Mostly in the upper cabinets.
Solution is to carefully glue with Titebond.
Several questions:
--New wall covering nicer than old style carpet/fabric that I have.

--I like the swivel passenger seat the 27 has, can that be utilized in 25. And is the swivel seat rock solid when driving.

--Are the lower outside storage compartments big enough too be useful.

--The fiberglass shell on older units can look "wrinkled", how about the newer shell.

--Any easier to get into the driver/passenger seat from the rear on newer models.

That's it for now
Regards Dean
While my observations are incomplete, I'll give it a shot.
-Re swivel seat, It must be facing forward when in transit. It ought to be solid underway since the dining captain's chairs are. So far as I know, that is feature of all units with forward side door for last year or two.
-Comparing a 2011 24RB to 2001 23 RK there is more outside storage although big compartment below sofa is not quite as high.
-Dunno about wrinkling. It has not been apparent on the few 2008 and newer units I have seen on the road.
-Some claim a little more space on most recent Ford design, but not apparent to me. Swivel pax seat should make it a breeze.
Hope this helps.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
charlesbell

24RB compared to 25RB

Post by charlesbell »

The new wall coverings may be better for those with allergies as they don't hold onto dust like the previous wall coverings.
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Dean Gradwell wrote:Does Born Free still trim cabinet openings with the iron on veneer?
A source of frustration on our 2004 RB model.
Regards dean
At the factory rally this summer I complained about the cheap vinyl edging on the plywood. The rep said that they are now using solid wood edging. Some of the models on display had wood edging and some had vinyl, so I don't know if all the new models are now using wood.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”