mounting a reciever for a satelite reciever

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

hrgermany

mounting a reciever for a satelite reciever

Post by hrgermany »

I have an entertainment center in my 26BF RSB.Where is the best place to
mount the satelite reciever?
Hans Rueckert
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hans,
I have been contemplating where to install a satellite dish, I'm thinking of installing a Moto-Sat DM500 dish on the rear of our 24RB, behind the air conditioner, I contaced Kim Olson at BF for their recommendation about placement and here is what he said:

The cable type is RG6 SLD copper CTR, the roof has ¾ plywood plus the thickness of the fiberglass and gelcoat. We normally install the satellites at the highest horizontal roof section, right behind the clearance lights but I have seen a few mounted behind the roof air that were done after market. If you install it behind the roof air be careful as there are metal raceways that run thru the roof from side to side , they are 2 inches wide and I do not have a schematic of where they are at as each coach is not the same as the next, all I can tell you is if you hit metal with a screw on the roof don’t push thru the raceway or you may run a screw into an AC or DC wire in the raceway.

KIM OLSON

I plan on running the cable down thru the refrigerator vent (to minimise holes in roof) and mounting the receiver just to the left of the refrigerator and mounted to the underside of the cabinet (above shelf for 13" TV), that way I can use the exisiting wiring to the entertainment center (RG6) and the VHF antenna on the roof without trying to "fish/hide" wiring to entertainment center.
Hope this gives you an idea of what to do in your case.

Steve Solberg
w5vthdonb

Post by w5vthdonb »

On my 2002 26'RSB with the entertainment center, I ran a RG6 cable from the refreigerator compartment to the shelf to the left of the door as you enter. I placed the sattilete receiver in there and conected the output of the satillite receiver to the F conector on the TV amplifier. Do not turn the TV amplifier on and it feeds both the front and back coax that is installed on the Born Free.
I carried 100 feet of RG 6 coax and a tri mount. The 18 inch dish I drilled out the horn riviets and installed two bolts. This way I could remove the horn and it didn't take much space up. You can get an inline adapter with two female ends, then you can conect both male ends to this. One goes to the antenna, and the other to the satillite input.

Even when I had an automatic system I always had this set up as we could park under trees if we wanted too, and many of the parks in the north east are hard to find a clear shot to the south

Don USN ret.
Past owner of a Born Free

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”