Lazydays RV Email

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

al1florida

Post by al1florida »

When I receive an unsolicited email from Lazy Days with the following text:

"We love keeping in touch with you

However, we understand that some folks prefer more communication than others. That’s why we give you the opportunity to let us know what information you’re interested in receiving. All you need to do is manage your email preferences and we’ll only send you the information you would like to see.

We’re so happy you’re a part of our family – WooHoo!"

The only thing I can assume is that Lazy Days got my email address through Born Free, since I NEVER have had any contact with Lazy Days and Lazy Days has joined forces with Born Free.

I DON'T think it is good corporate policy for to share my email address to companies not owned by Born Free. [/i]
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

To those of you who don't see a problem with Born Free sharing our email address with Lazy Days, assuming Born Free did share, consider the following:

-- Many or most of us do online business with banks, insurance companies and buy things from online companies like Amazon.com.

-- Think about how you would feel if you started getting 20 or 100 or more emails from business partners of those banks, etc! Those businesses have many, many business partners.

-- Most companies now state "we don't share your email address with anyone other than our internal employees for our company business only". Those may not be the exact words companies use, but it is something like that.

Born Free should NOT be sharing any of our email addresses with their business partners without our EXPLICIT permission. That is assuming Born Free did share.

Born Free and/or Lazy Days should provide an statement to the folks on this forum or send an email those they sent an email to explaining where they got our email address if it was other than Born Free.
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

I don't have problem with Born Free sending me emails promoting their product. I just don't think they should share with Lazy Days, again assuming they did share.

To me Lazy Days is RV sales and service place, not unlike a RV sales lot down the street from where ever we live.

If I did business with, say, Winnebago I wouldn't want Winnebago to share my email address with the RV sales lots near where I live.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I'm 100% in agreement with Al & Sharon. Our email addresses should not be sold or shared without our permission, period. At the least, it is unethical.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
TheBizMan

Post by TheBizMan »

I am a member for both this forum and leap'n lions. I haven't received any emails for LD. Maybe they don't like me. :cry:
Lee-TheBizMan
2005 BFT - named "Tilly"
2012 Scion xD "Toad"

stevek

Post by stevek »

What do you mean both forums?
This Forum.... the free one?
And the Leap n Lions.... the one you pay the $15 for?

If so, didn't realize the 2 where different... but then I am new here.
Kinda confusing.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Steve,

Anyone can join this forum and see and post on most of the bulletin boards on it. However, to get to various members-only sections, such as the membership list, you must join the Leap'n Lions. When you do so, you will get the password needed to access those members-only sections.

Hope this clears up things.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
jeffcarp

Post by jeffcarp »

I have no interest in getting into an argument about this. But read those definitions of SPAM again. Unsolicited. That is the key. Then please read what I said again. I said these emails appear to be the result of us agreeing to be sent emails from "carefully selected partners" of other companies as part of us agreeing to the terms of conditions on another company's website. If we agreed to receive the email, it isn't unsolicited and therefore it ISN'T spam.

Under the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 SPAM is illegal. This isn't spam because it wasn't unsolicited.
2011 Born Free 22' Rear Side Kitchen
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Jalan, what planet do you live on? Your analysis is made up of unsupported and totally untrue assumptions. I did not agree to have my email address shared with anyone, therefore these emails from Lazydays RV are unsolicted SPAM.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
jeffcarp

Post by jeffcarp »

Relax my friend. Insults really are not necessary. So just to be clear, what you are telling us is that you have read both the terms and conditions and privacy policy of every single website that you have never given your email address to. Is that what you're saying? Because if you haven't, then you really have no idea whether you have given anyone permission to use your email address or not.

And since you asked, the planet that I come from is that of a technology and IT consultant where I have read the terms and conditions and privacy policy of many web sites and know exactly the latitude they allowd based on clicking that little I agree checkbox. I don't like it either, but that is reality. If you have an iPhone for example, do you have any idea what you've agreed to when you accept the 64 pages of legal terms and conditions that Apple presents you with before you download a single app?
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

As I said in a previous post, I believe I know who probably gave Lazydays my e-mail address. Jalan in a previous post indicated the e-mail address used for him was one given to the Affinity Group of companies. The Affinity Group of companies changed names a little while back to Good Sam Enterprises. I am a member of the Good Sam club, and I finally went back and read their privacy policy, which I had not really done when joining. Lo and behold, it says they will share information (including e-mail addresses) with selected third parties.

Now, I suspect that a fair number of our members are also Good Sam Club members. Or perhaps they have bought stuff at Camping World (another part of Good Sam Enterprises/Affinity Group) and gave them their e-mail address. Those of our group who are not Good Sam members are perhaps the ones who have *not* received the e-mail from Lazydays.

I decided to try to change my privacy preferences on the Good Sam web site. There was no easy way to select "do not share with third parties." You have to request this by sending an e-mail to them. I have done so, but haven't gotten any response, so don't know if this will be effective or not.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

While it is certainly possible Lazy Days got my email address from some other source than Born Free, the only association I would have with Lazy Days is that I own a Born Free and my email address is available to: this forum, Leaping Lions club and I think I gave my email address to the Born Free company when I told them I was the new owner of a used Born Free.

I doubt Lazy Days used Good Sam to target emails to Born Free owners. Good Sam does not know I own a Born Free.
jeffcarp

Post by jeffcarp »

al1florida, that definitely could be true also. I actually received two emails from LD, one about Born Free and one not.

I think the way CAN-SPAM works from memory is once you establish a busines relationship with someone and volunteer your email address to them you have to opt-out for them not to use it. You don't opt-in. You are opted-in by default. It is sort of like the telemarketing laws don't apply to people that you have a business relationship with, even if you ask them not to call. They have the legal right to call you.

Now, most Internet-savvy companies have both a privacy policy and T&C that is proactive about this. If this did come with Born Free, in my opinion we simply have a case of a small Iowa company that isn't real Internet-savvy that simply doesn't know the details of CAN-SPAM and who thought they were doing something that was in the best internet of their customer base. It bothers me exactly 0%, even if it did come from them, which I have no reason to know that it did.

Most people don't read every word of their mortgage loan let alone the websites they sign up for stuff on all the time. Sad, but it's reality.
hrgermany

Post by hrgermany »

Can some one tell me when the end is near reading about the emails from LD?

Hans Rueckert
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Hans,

No one knows when these will end. It's like the Mayan calendar end of the world prediction. Ease off and enjoy. I am having fun reading the somewhat heated arguments. I am trying to think of something I can post that will stir the pot. :D
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”