New tires for my dinghy

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bill crommett

New tires for my dinghy

Post by bill crommett »

The tires on my dinghy are seven years old and it is time to replace them.
The dinghy is a Chevy Tracker 2000 4 X 4, and I have gotten quotes for four new tires ranging from $240. for four Gillettes, to $380 for four Coopers, to
$606 for four Michelins. We know that Michilins are good, but does anyone have any opinions regarding Gillettes and Coopers. I am not particularly interested in treadwear because they will out-age before they have 60,000 miles, soI am mostly interested in wet traction and safety.

Opinions and Links appreciated.
Bill
jdarryl

Post by jdarryl »

I have used Coopers for 20 years in a heavy rain area of Northern California and have never had any problems. Our roads were winding and most of my miles where on secondary roads through river canyons.

We have some of the hardest driving rain anywhere with annual rainfall average in the 60 inches range. Coopers did the job, never had a blowout, or skiiding problems, but I'm a cautious driver. They did wear faster on the edges, but this could have been due to the winding roads.

I always bought there lowest priced tires and I think they might have been rated for 40 thousand miles. They seemed to wear out a little fast on the edges again possibly becuase of the winding roads.
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

JD : Thanks for the update. I have used coopers in the past, but it has been many years ago. The wearing is no problem for me, because I am primarily interested in safety and traction. I have had 60,000 +miles tires on my pickup, and they were so tuff that they acted like steel bands when the blacktop was wet. That I do not need.
Bill

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”