Spare tire carrier for BFT, 2007 or older

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Virgil and Anne Dutton

Spare tire carrier for BFT, 2007 or older

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

To anyone who may be interested in a spare tire carrier for their 2007 or older "Built For Two". I have agreed to build one for another member, and if there is ayone else who may want one I will build it at the same time. This will be a one time build. This is the same tire carrier that I built for quite a number of members in the past. I will post a picture of it in the next day or two. The price will be $250. If you are interested you can contact me at my PM site here on this forum.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Hi Sam,
I think this tire carrier, as is, would fit on the other models; however any storage compartment behind it would be blocked. That could be solved by designing a swing away feature to rotate the tire out of the way. However, even though I am supposed to be retired, with all the other design consulting work I am involved in, this doesn’t seem to fit in. If someone else wants to take the bull by the horns, I would be happy to give a little design assistance but can’t spend too much time.
Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Here is the further information I promised on the spare tire carrier for a BFT.
I will be building one for a member and can build another at the same time. After that there will be no more. The price will be $250 plus shipping as opposed to the price listed on the flyer below. And My email address is now virgildutton@gmail.com.

Virgil
Attachments
web-spare-tire.jpg
web-spare-tire.jpg (289.28 KiB) Viewed 14720 times
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Sam,

Send me your email address or call me. We'll get you this information.

I brought the windmill here from my family's North Dakota ranch. I consider it an heirloom. It is a functioning windmill but only to recirculate water from a stock tank which sits beside it. I keep the stock tank filled with a garden hose.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Sam,

There is water and it is very good water, but my well is 925 feet deep with a static water level of 650 feet; a little too deep for a windmill!

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
stevek

Post by stevek »

Looks really great Virgil.
thanks for the pics. Gave me some ideas.
Wish I could find something like that for my 2011 with the new styled fiberglass bumper.
Or have something fabricated.

The Born Free Factory should offer such a option of carrying a spare tire. :roll:
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
floydbarnhill

spare tire

Post by floydbarnhill »

Does the spare tire preclude opening the storage compartment on the starboard side of bumper?
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Hi Steve,
Thank you. I have never looked closely at the new coaches with the new style bumpers. If the support structure for the new bumper is the same as, or similar, to the older structure, I would consider making a hole in the bumper to allow a support post to protrude up through that hole for a spare tire carrier. A nice appearing hole could be made using a hole saw or various other means. If someone would take some photographs of the right hand side of the bumper and underneath of the support structure on that side, and send them to me, I could determine if it is worth some conceptual design effort.

Floyd,--Yes, the current design does probably prohibit access to the storage compartment in that area. However, I may be talking myself into designing one which will swing away to provide access.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
stevek

Post by stevek »

Virgil....underneath view of my 2011..

The angle iron is 3"x 4" and runs the full width of the coach.
It is welded to brackets and bolted to the truck frame.
The fiberglass bumper is about a ittle less than 1" thick on top
and screwed to the 3x4 angle iron. Very heavy and sturdy.

Looks like the best bet is just to have a "surface mount" tire carrier.
Bolted thru the angle iron.

The big thing is going to be placement on the top of the bumper.
Maybe hinged?
To allow access to water heater and side storage.
Picture is my 22 foot with corner kitchen.
Steve
CA/OR border
stevek

Post by stevek »

Also be sure and check out the 2 pictures of SteveS and his solution to mounting a spare.
Also gives you an idea of the different configurations of "openings" in back.

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... c&start=30
Steve
CA/OR border
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Steve,- - Thanks for the photographs. It looks like the structure has changed quite a lot making it more difficult to mount a spare tire carrier. I think I will back off on that one.

The potographs of Steve S's carrier looks like a good design and would probably serve well.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
Virgil and Anne Dutton

I decided to go ahead and design a new spare tire carrier that can be used on the wider range of Born Free models; finally, the design is essentially completed. This new design can be used on all of the Born Free models, not just the BFT, from 2007 and earlier. It has a simple pivot feature which allows easy access to the rear storage compartment, bumper storage compartment and access to the water heater for servicing. It mounts to the curb side bumper support structure in the same manner as my original BFT carrier did. I am now in the process of acquiring parts and cutting out components for welding. After welding, the components will be painted using the powder coat process. The first units will be completed by May 15th or 20th at the latest. I like to build these in sizable batches because it is just too inefficient to build them in single units or in small quantities. Therefore, if anyone wants to get in on the first batch, please let me know. The price will be $290. After I get the first one built and mounted on my Born Free BFT, I will take photographs and do an information page, with details, for the Club Members Vendor section of this web site.

Contact me at virgildutton@gmail.com
Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
redvette

Spare Tire Carrier for BFT, 2007 or older

Post by redvette »

Hi Virgil,

In October 2011, I purchased a 2007 BFT which has one of your tire carriers. Is it possible to retrofit my carrier with your new "pivot feature" hardware?

Charlie
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Hi Charlie,

No, while the mounting is the same, the structure is very different.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”