Flooring installation

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CHARLOTTE

Flooring installation

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I have a 1999 RSB coach. I'm presently having a new slimline TV installed in my entertainment center. I am also wanting to have the laminated hardwood flooring installed (having carpeting removed). The bid to do this from behind the driving area to the bathroom door is $750.00. For being in Calif., I dont't think this bid is unreasonable. However, I would appreciate any advice on what I should be aware or careful of when & before they do the work. Opinions are most welcome.....and yes I have a dog & this will help me keeping the floor more manageable......
Thanks in advance....
Dude

Post by Dude »

I bet the floors would look nice. If I had to replace the carpet I would put laminate in as well. Make sure that if you have a pedal toilet they don't just put the flooring under the pedal up to the base of the toilet. Someone else on here did that and ran into issues with pushing the pedal all the way down to flush.

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't pay that to have laminated floors put in the RV. I have installed them in a room in my old house and it is soooo easy to do. I bought really cheap flooring and did it for $200 total (it was a small room).
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Thanks for your reply....I simply cannot do this installation on my own. I want the seats removed & know that alone is more than I could do. I already have a new toilet but do not want the laminate to go in that area anyway....just up to the door. I know there are probably many men who have done this install themselves...and yes, they did it for a lot less than what I'm going to pay, but the fact remains that I'm just not able nor do I want to do this myself. Too old for that kind of a job...... :-(
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Sounds reasonable to me Charlotte for all materials and labor.

And right now Costco has some nice 6' by 2' rubber-backed runners that would look nice on top of your laminate.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
CHARLOTTE

Flooring

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Well, thanks for all the info about flooring in my BF....However, don't have to worry about it now...Got a call from the RV repair company telling me that their installer changed the bid or corrected it, whichever. anyhow he says he misquoted & so his bid is $1300 +.....Guess I don't have to hit my bank account cause for that amount of money I can do without. Am very angry & disappointed....really wanted that wood floor installed for the longest time and now it's just not gonna happen........Call came at 8AM...should have stayed in bed & not answered the phone, but the smell of fresh coffee caught me up at 7 so had no choice................. :( :twisted: :x
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

Dont feel bad. If that RV Repair guy cant get a bid correct, you can expect he would have screwed up the job. The 1300 dollars sounds like a correct estimate. They need to check their bids before they give them out.

Just think of how much fresh coffee you can brew for 1300 dollars, and how many nice campgrounds you can visit.javascript:emoticon(':D')
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

My point exactly....lots of gas money too..... :wink:
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

At the current rate of $3.60 per gal you can buy approx 361 Gal for $1300, and if you average 9 mpg you can go 3,250 miles. That will make you forget about a new floor mighty quick. You live in a beautiful area of the country.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Why not contact a flooring company to see what they would charge. I would trust an RV shop with an RV repair and a Flooring company to install floors. I wouldn't have a flooring company do an oil change on my RV so why would I have an RV company install a floor?

If you feel comfortable with it, I would even suggest putting an ad on craigslist looking for a floor installer. Like I said, it isn't difficult. You may get someone who works for an installer and can put it in your RV for 1/2 the price an installer would charge and do it in your driveway. I have heard of people getting car repairs done this way....heater core, window motor, brakes, etc. I see no reason why it can't be done with flooring in an RV. You will probably have to buy the material up front and then pay for labor when it is done.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Thank you William...and yes I do live in a great area, and I appreciate it more every day as I get older as I'm a native Chicagoan....How could I have been so smart as to move here when I was just a kid, around 21...So yes I could do a lot of traveling on that $1300....Just a little further info, when I called Camping world today they gave me a bid of approx. $3000.... :shock:
But back to being smart, I think the next time I used great judgement is when I bought a Born Free....love it...and have never been sorry....Talked to Mel this AM about maybe doing it myself with maybe my Grandson to help me, but he gave me another idea so I have to check that out....(love that guy :wink: .... but alas, he's married to a lovely lady so I missed the boat on that one.....but not giving up on the floor....not yet anyway & have to follow the dream.....besides Mel won't sell me his BF....now that would be a dream come true....and if you haven't seen his & all the upgrades he's done....well, you've really missed something :!:
Onward.................. 8)
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Hi Dude....yes, you're suggestion is very similar to Mel's & I have put an ad on Craigs list....so we'll see....got some stores to check out & see what is being offered in laminate....and of course have to check with them for installers....I can park it in front of my house for 3 days only however, but that should be enough time if someone came here to do the work.... :wink:
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

One thought, If you can get your grandson to take out the chairs and put them back after the work is done you will save a bunch. A carpet installer can do a quick job of ripping out the carpeting and putting in a new floor. Leave carpeting under couch and that is still less labor.
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

That's a good idea.....thanks
Has anyone removed the two seats that could tell me how hard that is to do? Do you have to get under the coach or can it be done from the inside ....MyGrandson would do that for me for sure...........And I have no desire to put it under the sofa so it's a pretty straight shot (IMHO)
Thanks for the suggestion...... :D
BTW.....as a single solo female driver and past that big 7...0.... I decided it was a good investment to just improve what I got rather than buy a new BF....would have to mortgage the Grandkids to afford that.....Nah! I'll keep the kids & the BFthat I have as it's paid for :P .....I'll get that carpet out & flooring in....one way or another or give it a good try.... :wink:
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Charlotte;

If your seats are like mine, there is just a locking lever that holds teh seat in once the nuts are removed from the bolts. The bolts stayed in teh floor so the new floor can be cut arond the bolts.

I took one of my seats out and made a little wooden platform to cover the bolts to see if we would like the extra room without a seat. But between my wife, the dogs and me, we would be pushing each other to get a seat. The saying was, "On your feet, lose your seat." So the swivel seat went back in. The dogs get the couch and we each have a chair. :D

Never bought from them, but Lumber Liquidaters supposedly has good prices on floors. Not sure if they are in CA.

Good luck.

John
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Yes John...we have Lumber Liquidators here too....that was going to be my first stop.....they also may have an installer familiar with RVs....we'll see. Getting some hits on my ad on Craigs list....so maybe all is not lost. Sort of leaning towards Thomas (Grandson) taking the seats out if it's that easy. Thanks for the info....appreciate it. :D

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”