TOADS

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

AJA

TOADS

Post by AJA »

We have a VW convertible we wish to tow, but we don't wish to modify the car in order to flat tow, so we are looking at a tow dolly. Anyone with any comments on this idea? Experience with tow dollies, etc? Am looking at a Demco with a folding tongue that reduces the trailer length to 67".
whemme

VW Convertible Taod

Post by whemme »

AJA,

If your VW has a manual transmission, you should be able to tow it 4-wheels down without the need to use a tow dolly.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
AJA

VW Toad

Post by AJA »

Thanks Bill for your thought. Unforturately, our VW is a 2005 automatic.
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

It sounds like you don't want to put a tow plate on it.

We all have our reasons. I've seen the Demco collapsible dolly I believe, they fold over int he campground to save space when not in use. they don't take up much room, it apears. You cna keep them at your spot.

I have Demco tow bars and so far, so good.

In the long run, what you use is what will make you feel comfortable in how you treat your car/toad.

Since I've never seen a car as anything more than a tool, a piece of equipmetn designed to do certain thing,s then if it can or will do those things, it is the piece of equipement I am looking for. Being unsentimental about it, all i really care is that the item in question will do what I need it to do.

Makes it easier to think of it. I slapped a tow plate on a jeep with 500 miles on it. *shrug* That was its destiny. To be the tool I need to use when I get where I'm going, and need a 4WD vehicle.

New only means, hopefully more reliable for longer.

Makes it easier for me to think about it. What am I trying to protect, the car that I want to perform a certain task while performing that task? Why. It's a machine. Alter it to perform what you wish it to perform.

Car ads that bind our self-esteem to the beautiy of our automobiles are doing us a huge phsychological disservice. Cars are tools. They don't have anytin gto do with ego. If they do, there's something wrong with the ego-holder. An ego that needs a certain car is heavily influenced by outside forces that are probably not in thier own best interest and ought to consider how they're allowing their opinions and attitudes to be tweaked by others who havea big money agenda for tweaking it.

If you want the car to do what you want it to do (as a tool), make it do so, or get another tool that will, or make a modfication that will soothe the discomfort. But question the discomfort.

I am the one in charge of mhy tools and my tools don't make me feel any way. Youi do what gets it doen for you and ask yourself it there is a valid reason why you do not want to alter the car. Cosmetic? Hmmm... Safety, more important. For me, my convenience is more important than what someone else might think of the lack of 'line' on the profile of my car. Like wow....it's my tool, I'll use it as I like.

Okay I went off there. Just want you to a) do what you need to do to accomplish what you need to accomplish. Nothin gmore, nothing less.

and b) to question any niggling 'feelins' you have over your concern about having your car 'unmodified." Is it a matter of a modificaion being an unimprovement? Or some other thing that the advertisers tell us is less "couth"? Hope noe.

It's just a car. Whatever is safe, most helpful for you, and effective to do what you want...that you do.

trish
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Hey AJ:

How is the weather up there on the top of Mount Dora? :D

We we there last year and had a blast doing the tourist thing.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”