Buying Advice - BF 26’ Rear Bed President from 1990-2000

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

pglover19

Buying Advice - BF 26’ Rear Bed President from 1990-2000

Post by pglover19 »

I am trying to purchase my first Class C motorhome and based on my research Born Free and Lazy Daze are the best 2 Class C motorhomes on the market. I liked the Born Free styling better than the Lazy Daze. Since this is my first motorhome, I don’t want to spend a lot of money just in case I don’t enjoy the RV experience. I am looking for a layout that has the most sleeping capability. Based on my research, the 26RSB has a full size bed in the rear, sofa/twin bed in the dinette area, an optional dinette that can be converted to a bed, and optional cabover bed. I think this layout will give me the most sleeping capability. Can someone educate me on what the differences were in the 26RSB between 1990 – 2000. What year would most people recommend and why? Also what’s the difference between the president and non-presidential model and is it worst the extra money? I look forward to hearing your comments.
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

I am not certain the 26 had E450 chassis for this entire period. I would strongly suggest going with that rather than the E350. One might also argue for the V10 instead of earlier 460 engine but I'll not offer opinion on that one.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

How many people do you want to sleep? How many are small kids? A class C motorhome gets pretty crowded as you add very many people. Two is nice, four is plenty, six is a test of your patience and sanity. A supplemental tent alongside the motorhome may be a worthwhile consideration. Campground bathhouse facilities would be a near necessity at wash up time when you have a crowd. Perhaps a trial rental of any similar sized RV would be a good investment.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
The Libals

Post by The Libals »

I do not believe they made a non-presidential model as every single one in this age group that I've ever seen was a President. It would also be neat to see one with a convertible dinette as I have not seen that either. Mostly they have two chairs with a table that comes out from a slot in the wall. Then there is usually another chair on the other side. Mine has the chair, but then a futon-style couch that folds down into a bed. The way the cabover is designed makes for a great large bed that my wife and I can sleep on very comfortably and I am 6'2"/250. I have found that rear corner beds do not have enough length for a man my height. Mine instead has rear bunk beds that serve very well for our family of 3. My 6 year old loves the top bunk. I would tend to agree that a 450 would be better, mostly for the much added weight capacity, but I have been able to haul everything in my 93 24' rear-bunk model and tip the scales right at 11,000lbs and this with a 7.3 turbo-diesel! If you get one, I have zero doubt that you will love it. They are made so well compared to anything I've been in that is also a Class C. I looked at close to 50 motorhomes before I bought mine, and every last one of them had rot somewhere... Expect to pay anywhere from around $7000-$25000 in the 1990-2000 range. I missed out one the first one I saw which was an 85 24' RB with a 6.9 turbo-diesel and 60K original for $5500. Now I have the 93 and paid almost double for it. But I do very much prefer the updated front-end of the late-92 and up Fords. Much more pleasant inside and out. Good luck in your search!
pglover19

Post by pglover19 »

ewagman wrote:How many people do you want to sleep? How many are small kids? A class C motorhome gets pretty crowded as you add very many people. Two is nice, four is plenty, six is a test of your patience and sanity. A supplemental tent alongside the motorhome may be a worthwhile consideration. Campground bathhouse facilities would be a near necessity at wash up time when you have a crowd. Perhaps a trial rental of any similar sized RV would be a good investment.
There will be no kids.. All adults.. At the max there will be 5 or 6 adults.
pglover19

Post by pglover19 »

bigdipper wrote:I am not certain the 26 had E450 chassis for this entire period. I would strongly suggest going with that rather than the E350. One might also argue for the V10 instead of earlier 460 engine but I'll not offer opinion on that one.
Ralph
Do you know what year they started with the V10 engine? Additionally would a diesel engine be better than a gasoline?
pglover19

Post by pglover19 »

The Libals wrote:I do not believe they made a non-presidential model as every single one in this age group that I've ever seen was a President. It would also be neat to see one with a convertible dinette as I have not seen that either. Mostly they have two chairs with a table that comes out from a slot in the wall. Then there is usually another chair on the other side. Mine has the chair, but then a futon-style couch that folds down into a bed. The way the cabover is designed makes for a great large bed that my wife and I can sleep on very comfortably and I am 6'2"/250. I have found that rear corner beds do not have enough length for a man my height. Mine instead has rear bunk beds that serve very well for our family of 3. My 6 year old loves the top bunk. I would tend to agree that a 450 would be better, mostly for the much added weight capacity, but I have been able to haul everything in my 93 24' rear-bunk model and tip the scales right at 11,000lbs and this with a 7.3 turbo-diesel! If you get one, I have zero doubt that you will love it. They are made so well compared to anything I've been in that is also a Class C. I looked at close to 50 motorhomes before I bought mine, and every last one of them had rot somewhere... Expect to pay anywhere from around $7000-$25000 in the 1990-2000 range. I missed out one the first one I saw which was an 85 24' RB with a 6.9 turbo-diesel and 60K original for $5500. Now I have the 93 and paid almost double for it. But I do very much prefer the updated front-end of the late-92 and up Fords. Much more pleasant inside and out. Good luck in your search!
Can you post some pictures of the rear bunk area. I am also 6' 2"/200 so the rear bed may be too small for me.. I think the 26' RB would fit my needs than the 24' RB.
Dude

Post by Dude »

I have a 1989 26 foot RSB. I will look for my pictures. The rear bed is a joke for 2 people. It is larger than a twin but smaller than a double. We have slept 1 adult and my 3yo son in that bed. There is no way 2 adults are sleeping there. The cab bunk is very roomy, a king I think. The sofa bed is comfy for 1 person not opened. It does open and has room for 2, but we haven't slept 2 on there.

The most we have had in our BF was 4 adults, 1 child and 1 dog for a weekend. 2 adults in the cab bunk, 1 adult on the sofa not open, and 1 adult and 1 3yo child on the rear bed. We also had a 25# dog that slept 1 night on the bed and 1 night on the couch (he doesn't like to sleep alone). I don't think I would do it for longer than 3 days.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
pglover19

Post by pglover19 »

Dude wrote:I have a 1989 26 foot RSB. I will look for my pictures. The rear bed is a joke for 2 people. It is larger than a twin but smaller than a double. We have slept 1 adult and my 3yo son in that bed. There is no way 2 adults are sleeping there. The cab bunk is very roomy, a king I think. The sofa bed is comfy for 1 person not opened. It does open and has room for 2, but we haven't slept 2 on there.

The most we have had in our BF was 4 adults, 1 child and 1 dog for a weekend. 2 adults in the cab bunk, 1 adult on the sofa not open, and 1 adult and 1 3yo child on the rear bed. We also had a 25# dog that slept 1 night on the bed and 1 night on the couch (he doesn't like to sleep alone). I don't think I would do it for longer than 3 days.
Based on your comments, 5 or 6 adults in a 26' RSB may be impossible.. More like 4 adults is the max for this model.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Matt
Dude

Post by Dude »

Matt
Dude

Post by Dude »

HERE is a video of a 26 foot Rear Bath.
Matt
Dude

Post by Dude »

I'd say you could do 5 adults with the sofa open. I don't see how you can have the ladder set up with the sofa open as it is. However, someone has suggested cutting a little bit off the bottom of the ladder so it stands straighter and you can then use the ladder with the sofa open.
Matt
pglover19

Post by pglover19 »

Dude wrote:I'd say you could do 5 adults with the sofa open. I don't see how you can have the ladder set up with the sofa open as it is. However, someone has suggested cutting a little bit off the bottom of the ladder so it stands straighter and you can then use the ladder with the sofa open.
Thanks for the photos.. In the dinette area, I see that there are 2 tables in the middle that connects to the floor which can be removed. Do you know if the 1990 - 2000 models have this feature? Also does the driver and passenger cabin seats swivel around so that these seats could be part of the dinette area as well.
pglover19

Post by pglover19 »

Has anyone compared the Lazy Daze 26' Mid Bath model in the same years (1990 - 2000) to a Born Free? From my observation, it looks like the Lazy Daze will accomodate 6 adults without a problem. Please advise.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”