Norcold 2-way Fridge

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BikerJohn

Norcold 2-way Fridge

Post by BikerJohn »

On our 2004 Born Free we have a 2-way fridge, so it only runs on propane or 120 VAC (shore or generator). Does anyone know of a way to cool the fridge while you are driving down the road? I am thinking of needing an inverter to do so? Any suggestion?[/img]
John

2004 26' Rear Bath owner!
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Unless it is defective, it should run on propane while traveling. They are designed to do just that.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
BikerJohn

Open flame

Post by BikerJohn »

I guess it's me, but I don't really like the idea of an open flame while driving down the highway.
John

Dude

Post by Dude »

I also keep it on propane while driving. If you are worried about an open flame, shut it off. Like all refridgerators, they will keep cool for a few hours. Then when you stop somewhere fire it up to cool it down again.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

We also travel with the refrigerator on propane. We do turn the refrigerator off before we pull up to the gas pump to fill with gasoline. We then pull away from the pump and turn it back on.

As for how long the refrigerator will stay cold, that depends on what the outside temperature is. We try to keep our refrigerator between 35 and 40 degrees. During summer travel, we find that the refrigerator can easily rise 10 degrees in a couple of hours.

We are especially careful with our refrigerator temperature as we feed our 3 little papillons (Shiloh, my avatar, is the middle one) on a commercially prepared raw diet. Don't want that spoiling!
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

It's possible to run the fridge on an inverter. My fridge is rated at 300 watts. If you want an inverter to just power the fridge you should use at least a 400 watt one. While using an inverter keep in mind you will be drawing at least 25 amps from your battery. While driving, your alternator will be charging your batteries so there should be no problem.

I have had no problems leaving my fridge on propane while driving.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

We usually leave our fridge on auto, so when we don't have shore power it switches to propane. We always leave the fridge running on propane while driving. We have traveled about 60,000 miles this way in the last 8 years in a travel trailer, 5th wheel, diesel pusher and now the BF. Never had a problem with running the fridge on propane while driving.

I'm not trying to be unkind with the following, but I think there is far more danger of a gasoline leak than propane leak.

So, to be totally safe you should put a cutoff on your gasoline tank. While driving, if the fuel line from the gas tank in the rear all the way to the engine should spring a leak you will have a gasoline fire and burn the rig up. There are several rubber hoses along the gasoline fuel line. If you cut off the fuel at the gas tank you don't have to worry about fuel leak while driving. Of course you won't be able to drive the rig, but at least you will be totally safe.

Also taking risk into consideration, we are in far more danger of someone running into us on the highway, or blowing a tire and loosing control and crashing than having a propane leak. Again to be totally safe we shouldn't get on the road, some reckless driver or blown tire could kill us.

We are exposed to a certain amount of risk in everything we do. Many people die in their homes from fire or burglars breaking in and killing us in our sleep.
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Dude wrote:I also keep it on propane while driving. If you are worried about an open flame, shut it off. Like all refridgerators, they will keep cool for a few hours. Then when you stop somewhere fire it up to cool it down again.
Having worked for an oil company and being exposed to considerable refinery fire risk training, classically, it is a very real hazard to drive with refrig on propane, and even to drive without tank valve closed. However, in spite of this, I travel with refrig on propane but absolutely shut off refrig when refueling with gasoline and have nobody in RV when filling propane tanks.
Just me.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Just because some of us choose to take risks is no reason to suggest that someone else should. John stated that he is uncomfortable having an open flame while traveling. We should suggest other options rather then suggest something that he is uncomfortable in doing.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Although I do travel with my fridge on propane, I have also found that, unless it is very hot or you open the fridge frequently, it will stay cold for several hours without benefit of either propane or electric. Another tip: Freeze some of those ice packs overnight and put them in the fridge while traveling.
Steve

Post by Steve »

We also have our unit set to auto and run on propane when driving, we always shut it off when refueling.
We had a Chinook before the Born Free and it had a 3-Way Refrigerator, I had to install a relay (it didn't come with one) to shut off the 12vdc to the reefer when the ignition was shut off. It would drain the coach batteries when we stopped for several hours since it was continuously drawing around 300 to 400 watts.

Steve
BikerJohn

Thanks for the Replies

Post by BikerJohn »

Thanks for the replies. It is good to hear everyone's thoughts on this subject and didn't realize it was a touchy topic (reminds me of bringing up helmet use on a cycling forum...). So I apologize for touching the hot button.

So, I guess, I'm not so worried about an open flame as I am about what happens when that flame goes out when driving down the road? And part of this is my ignorance on how the propane system works on the refrigerator. Is there a detection method to shut down the flow of propane when the flame goes out? What is the method for relighting? How often does the system "sample" to know if there is a flame or not? I just don't know how the systems works and I should probably do my research on that.

I understand the comparison to the gas line going bad, but with that I know what to look, listen, feel, and smell for. If the gas line is goes bad, the engine will immediately be affected and that's an obvious signal. If the flame goes out on the refrigerator, what similar signal do I get? The frig works great on propane and you can't hear the thing run at all, which actually super impresses me. So I guess my point here is that for those of you that use the propane as you are going down the road how have you mitigated the risk in your minds?

The idea of 400 watt inverter does make sense. I could tie it into the entire electrical system so that things like cell phones could be charged with a normal outlet while driving down the road (even though there is an obvious efficiency losses in going from 12 DC to 120VAC and then to 5V DC!)
John

tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

The Norcold fridge has an electronic ignition system and a gas solenoid valve. If the flame goes out the solenoid valve will close. The fridge will attempt to relight the flame periodically and I assume will give up after a certain number of cycles. The valve is open only during the ignition attempt or when the flame is finally relighted.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

As I understand it, the main risk is the spark of ignition at a fuel station, not the flame, per se. That is why most RV manuals instruct us to turn off the propane appliances while refueling.

On our Foretravel, the refrigerator would stop, with a flashing red light, when the engine ignition was off. The blinking light was to remind you to turn the fridge back on.
charlesbell

Norcold 2-way fridge

Post by charlesbell »

If the fridge is on the opposite side of the motorhome from the gasoline fill, how likely is an ignition of gasoline vapors with the fridge not turned off. Just wondering..... Thanks.
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”