New owner of 2008 27' RB

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Laker

New owner of 2008 27' RB

Post by Laker »

After lurking around here for 9 months, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a 2008 27' RB. Plan to pick it up next Thurs, the 18th. I have found this forum to be a wealth of information and for that I thank all of you.

However, in doing all my readings, a positive critique would be that some members could be more helpful in answering questions in a positive manner instead of poking fun at the new person's lack of knowledge. Just my $.02 worth.

So, anyone have any comments about the 2008 27RB that would be helpful?

I am retired, single and will solo. Suggestions for upgraded batteries? Suggestions for a good toad? Right now looking at a 2007 Chevy HHR that has a Blue Ox base plate, but need a tow bar. Not sure the toad is needed with the 27'RB, but plan to spend several months in Florida in the winter, so it would be helpful.

With this toad, what is your opinion on auxiliary brakes? I like the Ready Brute Elite, but price is high. Anyone use this bar and what are your results.

Thanks again for all your help and I look forward to gaining more info on my, new to me, Born Free
Looking for 2011 or newer RSB

2008 27' RB. SOLD,
2007 Chevy HHR "toad"
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with Ready Brake
whemme

Post by whemme »

Congratulations on your purchase of a Born Free motorcoach. If you buy the Chevrolet HHR, since it already has a Blue OX base plate installed, why not purchase a Blue Ox tow bar? I would recommend the Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar which stays mounted on the rear of the motorhome hitch. I have used an earlier model of this tow bar without any problems for the last 14 years.

For a simple to use braking system, I would recommend the Brake Buddy or Brake Buddy II. Again I have used the original model Brake Buddy for the same 14 years with no problems.

Like the Chevrolet HHR, Chevrolet Malibus from model years 1997 thru 2007 came equipped with the same 4 speed automatic transmission used on the HHR and can be towed 4-wheels down without transmission modifications. Sometime during model year 2008, a newer 6 speed transmission was installed in Malibus and that transmission can not be towed 4-wheels down unless you either add a drive line disconnect or an external transmission lube pump.
Attachments
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar.png
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar.png (47.05 KiB) Viewed 6843 times
Last edited by whemme on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Laker

Post by Laker »

Thanks. I probably will do so, but trying to take care of tow bar and brake all in one device.

Is there a separate brake system you have had experience with and would recommend?

2008 27' RB. SOLD,
2007 Chevy HHR "toad"
Laker

Post by Laker »

Thanks Bill. Good positive information as usual from you

2008 27' RB. SOLD,
2007 Chevy HHR "toad"
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

2008 was first year with redesign. Over the following period there was a transition from air bags in rear to "super springs". If your unit does not have super springs, I would recommend removing air bags and having them installed. Don't think this is a really big deal. A brave DIY could take it on. Camping World for sure.
Welcome!
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Laker

Post by Laker »

Thanks. I was aware of the switch from reading the forum. I didn't know if the super springs were superior, something I need to check on.

2008 27' RB. SOLD,
2007 Chevy HHR "toad"
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Laker wrote:Thanks. I was aware of the switch from reading the forum. I didn't know if the super springs were superior, something I need to check on.
Prior to buying the 2011 BF I talked to and visited with some owners of 2008-2010 24 and 27 foot models. While the air bags had seemed to do the job on earlier units, they certainly were fine on my 2001 23 foot, there were lots of complaints about rear being low and dragging with the new design. The factory had modified some, others were done by owners. You might give Kim at the factory a call if you do not have the super springs to get his thoughts.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”