Retire the RV ?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

fredcarole

Retire the RV ?

Post by fredcarole »

This may be a question without an answer other than "depends."
We are in our mid-70's with no significant health issues,
and we still have our car keys.
We wonder if there is a general feeling as to when to "retire the RV."
Our road reflexes are still good, but-----
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Interesting question, especially since we are 70, in good shape and are seriously considering a new rv to replace our 2004 RSB that has 120,000 miles. We are hoping for 10 more years, but we had an experience on our trip this spring that has changed our thinking a bit. We never have towed a car. While at a tandem rally in a small town in GA, Chuck missed a step in the hotel, fell and ruptured his quad tendon. We had great difficulty getting back to the hotel from the emergency room - small towns don't always have taxis - and got the only rental car in town the next day for $240 a day for me to get around in until we could leave. We were then faced with driving the rv and 2 dogs 1,000 miles with me doing as much driving as possible. We will now tow so that we have the option of leaving the rv behind if necessary and just for convenience in case of an emergency. We also must have a unit small enough for me to drive and I will drive more in the future so that I am more confident. So, we are undaunted, just more realistic. You never know. On a positive note, we found the BF very comfortable and convenient for a one-legged man!
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

It is not so much a problem with the RV, but is an admonition to learn to watch one's step and to learn that things change with age and accommodations have to be made
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Amen to that, Bill!
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Hey, Sam, that is a suggestion that I won't pass along to Chuck! I have driven the rv by myself on a couple of short trips about 8 years ago. My point is that i have left the driving to him for quite a while and was not confident on I-75 through Tennessee and Kentucky. So both people need to be comfortable driving and that takes practice.
Chuck and Judy Harris
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
Dude

Post by Dude »

Do you find yourself going to the same location? My BIL's parents are late 70's or early 80's and they drive a Class A back and forth to FL every winter and go to the same campground. My BIL has tried to get them to just leave the Class A at the campground and either just drive their car back or fly and leave the car in FL as well. He still wants to drive so they still drive. But he only does a couple of hours each day and takes about a week to get from PA to FL (which I have done straight in 21 hours in a car)
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
fredcarole

Retire the RV

Post by fredcarole »

Thanks for all the replies.
We'll just keep on truckin' (er- RV'n). :)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”