Anyone convert to propane?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Gary and Anne Yarwood

Anyone convert to propane?

Post by Gary and Anne Yarwood »

Has anyone converted from gas engine to propane, or looked into the feasibility of doing it? We have an E350 1998 Built for Two RK with 165K miles. Was just wondering what has to be done and what it would cost?
Any ideas?

Gary and Anne Yarwood
jdarryl

Post by jdarryl »

My brother has being using propane in his trucks for about 25 years. I know that the last time I talked to him about it he said it cost about $2000 to convert (this was 4 or 5 years ago in Canada) and that the gas milage was almost as good .

If I remember correctly he said that he could still use gasoline if he needed to. (you should check on this). The last time I filled up my propane tank in my RV it cost $1.65, at the same time gasoline was $2.45 and diesel was $2.69.

I have a diesel, but if I had a gas I'd certainly consider propane. I believe it's also less polluting than either diesel or gasoline.

Propane like diesel isn't as readily available as gasoline,but if you can use gasoline in a propane converted motor then the issue of finding propane wouldn't be so much of a concern.

Some people have done their own conversions, but I wouldn't suggest that since I don't believe it's worth the risk of leaking propane.
Gary and Anne Yarwood

Post by Gary and Anne Yarwood »

J D, Thanks for the information. The cost you memtioned is in line with
what I'd heard previously. I'm investigating this option in AZ, I'll post what I find out here.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”