How strong is my bumper?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

mi99amigo

How strong is my bumper?

Post by mi99amigo »

Hi folks, normally, I would ask the factory about this, but this being a saturday and I need the answer today, I thought I'd ask the group.

I have a need to bring a large shelter tent to my daughter's crew race tomorrow. It is too large to fit into any compartment and I rather not carry it inside the coach.

It weighs about 100 pounds. I am thinking of strapping the tent on the rear bumper. I know the hitch can carry 500 pounds but what about the bumper itself? I have stood on it to access the ladder to the roof, so I assume that it should be strong enough.

Does anyone have any experience?

Thanks!
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Chris,
No problem. As you said, the hitch is rated for 500#s tongue weight and it is attached to the bumper. The fiberglass bumper is sturdy and well attached. However, you want to avoid over stressing any one point on the fiberglass alone. Being that it is a tent it should be easy to distribute the load over a wide surface area and then tie it around the bumper and the bumper's frame at 4 or 5 points. Check it after a few miles to make sure it doesn't shift or that the wind isn't unwrapping things and you should be fine.

You could also tie it on top but I think the bumper would be easier by far.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I would've loved to have seen that! A couch on the back of the BF! Serious tailgaiting ahead!

That would have been a hoot! Imagine what others imagine (who cares what they really think, but the *IDEAS* about what that is about would have been rich!)

I heard a story about a guy who saw a beautiful, full size RV with a washing machine strapped to the back. One has to wonder about folks!

Maybe it's just my imagination? I just love making up stories in my head about what that washing machine strapped to an RV means? (not the obvious taking it to the dump, but maybe it's a lifestyle thing?)

Bakc on topic....I've stood on my bumper. Of course, I am lighter than that 500# tongue weight...but it holds me without any give.

(Okay, i'll go back into my crevasse now.)

Trish
mi99amigo

Post by mi99amigo »

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the replys. I can always count on all your help!

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”