Born Free website

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ray

Born Free website

Post by Ray »

Was wondering if someone could forward Kim Olsens phone number - I tried to pull up the BF web site but all it does is lock up my computer.

Thanks, Ray
Last edited by Ray on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Ray,

You can reach Kim Olson at the following factory phone number: 800-247-1835.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Ray

Post by Ray »

Bill --- Thank You
ChuckM

Re: Kim Olsen

Post by ChuckM »

Ray wrote:Was wondering if someone could forward Kim Olsens phone number - I tried to pull up the BF web site but all it does is lock up my computer.

Thanks, Ray
The BF website is rated "Dangerous" by WOT web-of-trust. Hackers will infect websites for reasons that hackers do such things. I always have WOT running just in case.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Yep - I just tried to get on there again and the computer locked up - I got it unlocked and tried again and I did get on - but it was so slow it was a uncomfortable experieance - it would probably take me all day to look aroung the web site. It could be my computer, I dont have the latest and greatest - but I dont have problems on any other web sites.
ed

Born free website rated by WOT

Post by ed »

It has been mentioned on the Leap’n Lions chat that the Born Free website is rated as “Dangerous” by WOT, a free downloadable website program who sets their own ratings. We have researched this rating with WOT and have found that their rating is due to being aware of Born Free owning several different website domains.There are several companies that purchase up many domain’s and then resell them to gain profit, and some even use the domains to send out spam emails. Born Free however owns several domains for business and customer reasons. We have recently switched from our previous website provider to designing our website in house. We have made the choice to open a new domain for the new website, but continue ownership of our previous domain for a short time for our owner’s convenience in finding us. Until our customers are used to our new domain name, http://www.bornfreerv.com/, the old domain will push the viewer to our new site when they connect to our old domain. As you know, Born Free also has a commercial vehicle division. Our commercial division, known as Dodgen Mobile Technologies is also in the transition of switching websites and we plan to continue to hold more than one domain name for this division. Our commercial customers come from not only the private sector, but also government agencies and they search for us in different ways which makes it necessary for us to have more than one domain.

As we researched the WOT site, we found that we are actually receiving comments from our Born Free owner’s stating that we are a legitamate, reputable company with a long history. It once again shows that we have the best, supportive owner’s a company could ask for. Thank you for your support.
Ed Newman
Ray

Post by Ray »

Ed - Thanks, thats interesting stuff

I stiil cant view the BF site - it either locks up or is so slow that I cant wait around several mins to have something come up. Like I said its probably my computer, it is a little older. When I get on facebook it is slow also - no where near as slow as the BF site, but its slow. I dont have any problem with my email, ebay, amazon, ect.

I am no computer wizz and really have to just accept what I have.

Love BF - Thanks again, Ray
Janet

Same here

Post by Janet »

I also have trouble when pulling up the company website. Very slow to load. I must admit I have been disappointed that the old website was no longer available. I thought it was a beautifully designed site and it made me go to it every day or so. Now I seldom look at the new website. It just does not grab me and the background colors to me are uninspiring. Guess that is why things are always changing because we all like different things....but I still find the new website lackluster.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Just thought I should get back to the original subject real fast - I did get a hold of Kim and as ussual he helped me out alot - All of the Born Free family are great and they all continue to impress me. Sometimes its a little hard to believe that one company can have so many dedicated and helpfull people ------Thank goodness for people like Kim - Thank You Kim and Born Free.
ChuckM

Post by ChuckM »

Ray wrote:I still cant view the BF site - it either locks up or is so slow that I cant wait around several mins to have something come up. Like I said its probably my computer, it is a little older. When I get on facebook it is slow also - no where near as slow as the BF site, but its slow. I dont have any problem with my email, ebay, amazon, ect.
The BornFree site does load slow.
There is a problem with the Photos loading.
One speed test puts it in the bottom 25% of all webpages for speed.
http://www.webpagetest.org/performance_ ... 1&cached=0
Ray

Post by Ray »

Thanx - I am going to have to study this a bit. Maybe I can run it from my location and see if there is any difference.

The Web person at Born Free gave me a couple suggestions to try - like shutting down or backing down protections in my security software - that didnt work.

About the only other suggestion is to buy a new computer - Really hate to do that when mine works fine on everything else - it is a little slow on facebook - but I dont have problems with any other web site.

Not sure what I am going to do when they add repair parts ordering to thier web site - great idea - guess maybe I can run over to the libray and see if thier computer will down load the Born Free site - but I dont think I should be ordering and paying for things on a public computer
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

I recently bought an iPad Air, and this summer got broadband service from a good provider. With those 2, I can load the Born Free web site with acceptable speed, about 2-3 second page load times. Note, not great speed, acceptable speed. It could be much better.

With my 4-year-old HP laptop with 4GB of memory, using the same broadband connection, the speed is barely acceptable, page load time of 4 to 8 seconds. That was using the Opera web browser. For some reason, Firefox would not load the pages.

I have an ancient IBM deskside unit with only 1 GB of memory. On that one, fuhgedaboudit!

So, it appears that the site only works well with the most capable of systems on a high speed network. I think that Born Free is making a big mistake designing their web site in this way. They should remember that it is often geezers that may not be real tech savvy that are shopping for motorhomes. Those people are going to be put off by a web site that is so slow on many systems.

My opinion is that Born Free is trying to make the site too glitzy, when they really should be concentrating on ease of access to content.

By the way, this discussion should probably be moved to a separate thread, as it has nothing to do with Kim!
Last edited by shilohdad on Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Ray

Post by Ray »

Joe - I agree this thread should be moved under a different subject - it kinda transcitioned to a discussion about the BF web site.

But --- I dont know how to do that - I am one of the old Geezers - LOL

Thanks for the info I see its not just me having the problems - I do realize that one has to keep up with the tech stuff - But a 4 yr old computer with 4GB should not be having any problems at all in my opinion.

As for mine here at home, I think I only have 1GB - so as you referenced I am in the "Fuhgedaboudit" catagory -- LOL
Laker

Post by Laker »

Using an Apple IOS might help. :). As a long time 1984 Mac user, I do have a bias. Presently, I access the site with an iMac G3, iPhone 5S or iPad mini retina.

In all cases, the new web site is painfully slow. It is far too glitzy and the photos take too long to load. I and I think other users want data and information. Perhaps BF needs to look at other manufactuer websites.

All of the above is offered as hopefully a constructive criticism. I still value BF and their customer support.
Looking for 2011 or newer RSB

2008 27' RB. SOLD,
2007 Chevy HHR "toad"
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with Ready Brake
Ray

Post by Ray »

I tried to change the subject of the origanal post to reflect what is really being discussed - I hope it worked. I am not good at this stuff.

Every once in a while when you go to a website a message will pop up and say something about if the site doesn't come up in X amount of seconds to click and be redirected - Not really sure what thats all about or happens there - but I was wondering if BF could do something like that on their website and redirect the person somewhere with out all the flashy graphics so people that don't have brand new computers can see the products and get information?

BTW - I tried, Nexus, Leisure travel, Lazy Daze, and Coach House web sites and didnt have a single problem

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”