Alaska / Yukon - Ferry Cruse & Caravan

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

robert newby

Alaska / Yukon - Ferry Cruse & Caravan

Post by robert newby »

Is anyone interested in a combination 4 day Ferry Cruse thru the Inside Passage from Washington State to Skagway, Alaska, then drive thru Alaska and the Yukon to Whitehorse, the Capital of the Yukon. Then following as close as possible, the Yukon River, up to Dawson City where the Gold Miners of '98 struck Gold. We would have a full days boat trip to Juneau, Alaska & train trip up the hill from Skagway to the Yukon border, Dinner Cruse on the Yukon River at Dawson City and many other adventures along the way. The Caravan would end at Dawson Creek. In total it would be a 21 day trip including the 4 day Ferry ride. If you are really interested you could E mail me at - bnewby1@aol.com for further info. I call it the " Klondike Gold " Caravan.
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Bob... didn't you just get back from there? And as I recall, you said that was your last trip to Alaska.... so what's this ??? (And no, I don't wanna go. Too hard for a solo driver like myself... :?
Laker

Post by Laker »

It will all depend on dates and costs. Dates would be flexible as I am semi-retired.

Being a single, solo trip might be hard, but this is one on my "bucket" list.

Thanks
Looking for 2011 or newer RSB

2008 27' RB. SOLD,
2007 Chevy HHR "toad"
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with Ready Brake
al1florida

Re: Alaska / Yukon - Ferry Cruse & Caravan

Post by al1florida »

robert newby wrote:Is anyone interested in a combination 4 day Ferry Cruse thru the Inside Passage from Washington State to Skagway, Alaska, then drive thru Alaska and the Yukon to Whitehorse, the Capital of the Yukon. Then following as close as possible, the Yukon River, up to Dawson City where the Gold Miners of '98 struck Gold. We would have a full days boat trip to Juneau, Alaska & train trip up the hill from Skagway to the Yukon border, Dinner Cruse on the Yukon River at Dawson City and many other adventures along the way. The Caravan would end at Dawson Creek. In total it would be a 21 day trip including the 4 day Ferry ride. If you are really interested you could E mail me at - bnewby1@aol.com for further info. I call it the " Klondike Gold " Caravan.
From your post, it sounds like the only time the tour will spend in AK is Juneau & Skagway. After the tour ends in Dawson, are we on our own for travel back to the US?
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

I forgot to say that I'm thinking about leaving on Friday May 23rd from Washington. A person could leave after Dawson City or after Dawson Creek. On the trip South from Dawson City we will stay over night along side the Yukon River and have a Halibut Dinner also stops will be Tesslin Lake , Watson Lake , Muncho Lake etc.
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

My thoughts have changed. Now I'm thinking of adding 7 days to the trip and going from Dawson City across the " Top of the World" Hwy. thru Chicken , Alaska to Tok , Alaska then down to Valdez for a full day cruse to two Glaciers before heading back to Tok and then down the Alaska Highway to Dawson Creek. By doing this we will see about 4 or 5 Glaciers on the trip. I would like to have 4 or 5 Motor homes go with me. There are 2 Dawson's , one is Dawson City and the other is Dawson Creek.
TheBizMan

Post by TheBizMan »

Robert,
Any idea as to the cost of a trip like that? I wanted to go with you last year but other things came up.
Lee-TheBizMan
2005 BFT - named "Tilly"
2012 Scion xD "Toad"

bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Bob,
Having followed this thread from the beginning, I have become quite uncertain about the itinerary as you currently envision it. You have talked of adding 7 days and departing WA May 23. Is it still to Skagway by ferry, or are you now envisioning by land to Dawson Creek? We had signed up for the subsequently cancelled factory trip last summer and are still interested in doing AK again. As you firm up the details, it will help us understand how good a prospect we are to join up.
Happy New Year,
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi -- I estimate the cost for 2 would be about $5000 including the Ferry.
The additional 7 days would be from Dawson City to Tok via Chicken, Alaska , down to Valdez and then back to Tok and down the Alaska Highway to Dawson Creek. We would eliminate the 2 days return from Dawson City back thru Whitehorse.
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Let me re-cap the trip. It would be a 28 day total trip starting at Bellingham , Washington and end at Dawson Creek , BC. We board the Ferry on May 28th.We will be in both lower Alaska at Skagway and in upper Alaska at Tok and Valdez. In my opinion it will cover the best of the Yukon and Alaska. It is now time to let me know if you plan to go with me. E mail me at - bnewby1@aol.com- and let me know of your plans or questions. I'l be leaving SLO right after the Born Free Rally at SLO.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

CHARLOTTE wrote:Bob... didn't you just get back from there? And as I recall, you said that was your last trip to Alaska.... so what's this ??? (And no, I don't wanna go. Too hard for a solo driver like myself... :?
Charlotte, I'm a solo [female] traveler, too, and plan to drive to Alaska next year. Maybe something could be worked out among some fellow solo RVers who want to travel on their own but have someone to meet up with at camping locations and to be in contact with. I have no interest in the ferry but plan to drive up using the AlCan and take the Cassiar on the way back. I live in WA so this will be my starting point. :)
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

I see that there has been over 1200 hits on this site but I haven't had any positive responses so I'm not going to plan to keep my planed trip to Alaska this year.
On a positive note: I believe , after talking to CT and Randy Dodgen, that Born Free is planning a Caravan to Alaska next Spring or Summer. If any one is interested I suggest you let them know of your interest. It takes a lot of planning to put a good Caravan together and they need to know how much interest there is in such a Caravan. It takes about a year to do all the planning.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”