New 2006 BFT with battery problems

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Tonyg

New 2006 BFT with battery problems

Post by Tonyg »

We just got a new 2006 BFT. Have not had a chance to take a trip yet. Went out two weeks ago and found the batteries with very low charge. This was only a few days after delivery. The rv was delivered to our house in Pa. from Iowa so batteries should have been fully charged from that long a drive. Checked the water level which was not completely full but all plates were covered. Topped off cells to split ring with distilled water. Drove around and also plugged into house line. Monitor then showed full charge. Two days later went to try out generator and again no power to even turn on a light. Did nothing and next day monitor showed half charge. Drove around some more and plugged into house. Batteries then showed full charge on monitor after unplugging from house and lights worked and able to start generator. Turned battery switch off and for next two days batteries showed full charge on monitor.

Tonight checked charge on monitor and showed full charge. Tried to start generator once and batteries showed no charge and no power to lights. Have called Kim who said to take rv to service center to have everything checked out. Anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong. Frustrating to not be able to take our first trip. Can't get to service area until next Wednesday.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks,

Tony
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Tony:

I'll put my money on one (or both) of the coach batteries being bad. This can be the case even though they may be new. When my BFT sold new, the batteries were already over a year old. Sometimes they sit on a loading dock for months before they are even installed. Then the coach sits on the dealer's lot until sold. During this period, it is unlikely any battery maintenance is performed. Can you get them to an Interstate Battery dealer to get them checked out? They'll replace an RV battery free of charge for up to 12 months from the date of purchase for the original owner.

You can locate a convenient dealer using the following web site:

http://www.ibsa.com/estore/dealer_locat ... rty=1&js=1

Keep us posted as to how this is resolved.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
GKarschnick

Post by GKarschnick »

I had the same problem on my new 2005 Born Free. The problem is that the batteries have not been in use for a while. I removed the batteries and connected them to a deep-cycle charger. (Very important that it is a deep-cycle charger!) It took 3 days to fully charge them. Now they stay up with semi-regular use. I turn the battery switch when the motorhome is not in use. Good luck!
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

FWIW, should I ever purchase another coach (new or used), I'd insist that the batteries be changed out for fresh ones as part of the deal. Isn't hindsight 20-20? :D

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

With a new coach, it would be a mistake to assume that everything is wired up correctly so Kim's advice to have the coach checked out is sound. As for troubleshooting battery problems, it can either be one or both batteries which won't hold a charge or it can be something in the connected circuitry which is draining them. Theoretically when you disconnect them from the load using the disconnect switch in the coach, they should not be seeing any parasitic loads. The service center will have to verify this assumption as far as having the wiring done correctly so I'll speak to the former.
You might start your troubleshooting by using a Hydrometer to measure the specific gravity of the individual cells in each battery. The specific gravity of the electrolyte in the battery, sulphuric acid, will change as the charge in the cell varies. All of the cells in a battery should be approximately the same. If one cell is obviously lower than the others than you likely have a bad cell/battery. You can purchase a battery hydrometer at any auto parts store for a few dollars. Sealed no maintenance batteries or gel batteries can't be tested this way, but the type of batteries BF provided with my 2005 unit are low maintenance, deep cyle lead acid batteries capable of being tested this way. I do it frequently on mine.
If you have a portable solid state charger, you might want to use the installed disconnect switch to disconnect the batteries from the load/coach and use the portable charger to put a full charge on them. I would not leave a trickle charger or high amperage quick charger hooked up and unattended as either one can cause problems with the battery and your coach. A "healthy" battery should be able to hold a full charge for several days at least depending upon the "health" of the battery and the temperature and absence of small parasitic loads. A battery which won't old a charge for several days when isolated from all loads in suspect. As you have two 12v batteries wired in parallel, a bad battery/cell will drag down the other good battery as current will flow from the good battery with the higher charge/voltage to the battery with the lower voltage.
You asked for suggestions you could do yourself and I gave some however working with large capacity batteries such as those found in our coach can be hazardous. The electrolyte in the batteries is sulphuric acid and can cause serious burns if it gets on your skin....I have many a "garage" shirt full of little holes from battery spatter to attest to this. Lead acid batteries give off hydrogen gas when charging which can accumulate and cause an explosion if you cause a spark when handling or disconnecting the battery. These batteries are capable of providing very high current flow for short periods causing injury, fire or damage to equipment if for instance you forget to take off your wedding ring and it happens to complete a circuit to ground. I am not trying to scare you, only to emphasize that if you are not familair with the hazards and safety precautions necessary when working around DC batteries of this size, then you shoud leave the troubleshooting to someone who is. I have years of experience as chief engineer on marine diesel electric power plants with DC motors rated at thousands of horsepower and have seen more 12v starting battery banks used to start high horsepower diesel engines than I care to remember. I am very careful when I work around my batteries. You might also try the following link. It is a good explanation of our 12v systems.
http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Tony:

All of what Dave said is good info.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the hydrometer and checking the specific gravity of the batteries myself. Ruined too many shirts that way. :wink:

Interstate battery dealers have the ability to quickly evaluate the condition of a battery, and if yours is found to be defective, they'll have one on hand to swap it out immediately. They should test it for free, and will probably even install it for free. Since it sounds like you are chomping at the bit to get away on your first trip, I give this a try first. I'd just drive the coach to the Interstate dealer. If it turns out to be a bad battery, you can then cancel next week's appointment at the RV service center (I try to avoid these at all costs).

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
Tonyg

Update : New 2006 BFT with battery problems

Post by Tonyg »

Problem appears to be solved. Seems that the solenoid that's related to the generator and battery on/off switch was bad . Oddly enough the solenoid is located on oposite side of coach in front of rear passenger wheels. Kim sent out a new solenoid which I had put in. Took about 1/2 hour and so far all ok. Batteries checked out so only other possibillities were solenoid or battery on/off switch. Thanks for all your help. Learned a lot about the system because of this problem especially since I knew nothing before!!

Tony
Roadtech

Post by Roadtech »

I have the same issue. Solenoid is being replaced on my new 2006 BFT.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Just a comment relative to a "phantom charge". At least in my coach (1999 RK), even when the battery disconnect switch is off there is a pull on the coach batteries from the refrigerator (regardless of the refrigerator setting or source of power).
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”