Axeled Slide in camper???

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Savaaha

Axeled Slide in camper???

Post by Savaaha »

When I was a kid (1985) my father bought a Born Free Slide in camper. It was a HUGE thing with an extra axel off the back end. White with marron bands in color.He bought it cheap as it had been rolled and fixed it up to migrate from Alaska to Mississippi. I would like to find a photo of this camper as I do not have any.

thank you
whemme

Old Born Free Slide-In Camper

Post by whemme »

Savaaha,

The Born Free factory in Humboldt, IA had this very same earlier slide-in unit on display recently. You might want to contact the factory and they would probably still have a photo of the unit still available.

Their website address is: http://www.bornfreemotorcoach.com/
and their phone number is 800-247-1835.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Savaaha

Post by Savaaha »

thank you whemme, if I remember correctly Dad said less than 10 were built. the one we had is now in Mississippi someplace having been sold in 1988.
Savaaha

Post by Savaaha »

I have some grand memories from that odd looking camper. Id love to find it and buy it back but 1st I have to find an actual photo of it as we didnt have a camera back then.
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Snapped these pics at the factory last year when we picked up our new Born Free. Enjoy!

Mike

PS. I can send the full sized photos to your email.
Attachments
Early Born Free interior.
Early Born Free interior.
BFCMPR2.jpg (83.98 KiB) Viewed 27786 times
Early Born Free. Is it a slide-in camper or a 5th wheel?
Early Born Free. Is it a slide-in camper or a 5th wheel?
BFCMPR1.jpg (65.87 KiB) Viewed 27786 times
Last edited by Mike Jean Bandfield on Sat May 13, 2006 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Savaaha

Post by Savaaha »

Mike and Jean, THATS IT!!!!!!! Good Gracious it looks so new compared to ours !!! OH WOW!! Thank you so very very much!!
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

It's still on the showroom floor, as of 3 weeks ago. I looked closely atthe inside of it. Too neat.

Pat-trish
Savaaha

Post by Savaaha »

The company is actually going to send me information on it, just got the email. My dad put it on the back of an old ford, and after getting to misssissippi, we (mom,dad,3 brothers and I lived itn it for almost a year in my aunts back yard.

Sam- Ill ask my dad today about that. If I remember correctly tho, between the camper bottom and the truck bed dad had a huge innertube in there slightly filled with air, it also had the bar under the truck as well as the tiedowns on the bedsides.
knitheaven

Early Born Free camper

Post by knitheaven »

Mike,
Great pictures! So glad you posted them.
When we stopped at the FL dealer a year or so ago there was an older Born Free kind of off to the side, not spruced up. Couldn't tell you if it's the same one or not but I think it looked pretty similar.
Dianne
knitheaven

Early Born Free camper

Post by knitheaven »

Deleted this double posting,

bfadmin
Savaaha

Post by Savaaha »

Does anyone off hand know the date of manufacture on this? I talked with my mom and she thought late 70s.

Also the innertube I spoke of was between the windows(back truck and camper) She was laughing that you had to crawl thro the innertube to get thro the windows. That there was no worry about damage to the back of the truck but shed have to ask dad what he did for that. He was at work when I called.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Here is a 1974 model on a truck.

Bill
Attachments
BF Truck Camper.jpg
BF Truck Camper.jpg (32.73 KiB) Viewed 27863 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Some nice pics of a 1971 model on a truck can be seen here:

http://www.bashfamily.org/photo_album.0.html.0.html

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Savaaha

Post by Savaaha »

Thanks Bill, Dad hauled ours with a much smaller late 70s Ford F250, they had a time with the 20ft trailer they were also towing along with it .

I would like to try and locate our old one, THe guy who got it from dad, his family is stil down here.
marangakis

Savanah, did you get that info?

Post by marangakis »

Hey, Savanah, Did you get the info from Born Free? I am also looking for info/pix/purchase of a Born Free Slide In. Anything you (or anybody) could pass along would be much appreciatd..

Thanks

JPM
marangakis@aol.com

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”