Michelin tire availability

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Rob

Michelin tire availability

Post by Rob »

Within the last week I returned for Northern California to Chandler Arizona where my BF is stored for the winter.
I made this trip specifically to determine if my tires were part of the recall.
They are, so I called the Discount tire location I have used for several years. Seems they are out of stock at all of their 50 locations. I was finally able to get an appointment this coming week after agreeing to pay shipping of $10.00 per tire. I really need these tires replaced since I plan to use my motorhome as soon as possible.
Question. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Rob and Joan Beery
2003 24RB
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Would this have anything to do with the recent recall?

On edit: Sorry, Rob, I missed that in your post. I suppose Michelin will be behind in production for a while yet.
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

I'm having the same issue. My tire dealer in Fort Lauderdale has 100 tires on back order. He put me on his list for replacement. Fortunately only have 1 tire and it is my spare.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

took our BF over to the tire place and the said we were part of the recall....all 6 tires replaced right then.
2005 26' RSB Casual Elegance
Rob

Post by Rob »

I have some good news about mu tire situation.

Discount Tire who I have used for years was able to get me 6 tires and I had them installed today. Even though they originally said it would be 10.00 each for shipping turns out there was no cost period.

Very satisfied with the results. One thing I have learned is to remove the 2 lug nut covers on each wheel that pull off. These allow the hubcap to be removed and the tire shop will not have to try and figure out how to remove the hubcaps.

Rob and Joan Beery
2003 24RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Rob wrote: One thing I have learned is to remove the 2 lug nut covers on each wheel that pull off. These allow the hubcap to be removed and the tire shop will not have to try and figure out how to remove the hubcaps.

Rob and Joan Beery
2003 24RB
Better yet to remove those 2 hub cap nuts to prevent your tire shop from using a air wrench on the other 4 nuts damaging or destroying your hub caps (also formally known as wheel liners).
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
randallrae

I will never ever buy Michelin Tires

Post by randallrae »

I bought a leftover 2012 BF with recalled tires . Lazydays was nice enough to take the coach to Holmes Tuttle Ford in Tucson for the recall . I went to pick up our new coach at Lazydays only to discover it now has BFG's . I called my Ford dealer in Iowa and asked if this was acceptable . They sent me an official Ford recall procedure which said Michelin to be replaced with Michelin . Lazydays called the Ford dealer who said that BFG's were approved .Lazydays asked to have that emailed or faxed to them ... twice we are still waiting .
I called Michelin and was informed that BFG's could be substituted if the owner requested it , however the BFG's were noisier and were a 50000 mile tire instead of a 70000 mile tire . The OFFICIAL Email said the warranties were the same so that's good enough for them . I had to call again and tell them it would different if I had 30 or 40 thousand miles on the recalled tires , but my tires were basically new , and replaced with a lower rated tire . After a 10 minute debate on tire quality , I was informed I had a 30 day satisfaction guarantee , and if I wanted them exchanged I could . I said yes I wanted what came on the coach . That was March 21 and they said someone corporate would call me with details March 22 or 24 . Today is March 29 my 30 days are now up , and I'm still waiting for that phone call . I informed them by email March 27 that I would tell my story to anyone that was talking about tires around me . I got another claim # in an automated response . I won't ever buy any of their products ever .
2012 25' rb
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

My experience with Michelin has also been negative & I won't buy their tires again....
Ray

Post by Ray »

Had some front end work done on my first BF at Eastern Iowa Tire in Davenport Iowa - When I went to pay the bill I found they added a extra charge to take the wheel liners off.

2 nuts - extra charge?

They also screwed up the balance on the tires - had to have them re-balanced

I will never do business with Eastern Iowa Tire in Davenport Iowa again.

Did I mention it was Eastern Iowa Tire in Davenport Iowa?
whemme

Post by whemme »

I leaned my lesson years ago. Always remove your wheel liners before taking your Born Free to any shop where the work will involve tire removal. Some shops know how to remove them properly, many other shops know how to damage the wheel liners when attempting to remove them.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”