Buying a new Born Free - Looking for advice

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bbwolf

Buying a new Born Free - Looking for advice

Post by bbwolf »

We have settled around the 23 foot (or 24 foot) new Born Free models. Still working out whether the wife wants a rear kitchen or side kitchen models. We'll be going for the E450 chassis with the V10 engine (if I have the correct).

Anyone have experience with a tow vehicle for this model? Been looking for the lightest 4wd/AWD vehicles I can and they look to be between 3,000lbs curb weight up to 4,500lbs curb weight.

Would appreciate any and all advice from folks experienced with this configuration. Thanks in advance.
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

You can tow 4500# with the E450, but the lighter, the better. Tow brake system mandatory. Ours is side kitchen, no slides. Works well for us.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Laker

Post by Laker »

Suggest Chevy HHR, small, light and easy to tow. All you need is to put it into neutral and remove 1 fuse. No shift pattern to mess with.

No matter which vehicle you select. Consider the Ready Brake Brute system which includes tow bar and brake system. All mechanical, no electronics, no box to install in tow vehicle. Very portable. Total system a little over $1k. Less expensive then most.

Very satisfied with mine. Easy to hookup as I am a solo traveler.

Good luck.
Looking for 2011 or newer RSB

2008 27' RB. SOLD,
2007 Chevy HHR "toad"
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with Ready Brake
Ray

Post by Ray »

Thought the BF was rated for more than 4500 - and the E450 should be - My little Explorer is rated for more than that - I got the Roadmaster blackhawk all terrain tow bar (over kill, but I may use it behind my explorer someday) and the Roadmaster even brake - box behind the seat is easy - all was used - less than a year old, looked new - about 600 for everything - most tow bar/brake systems are dirt cheap if you buy used, (and can wait for the "deal") The Ready brake looks like a good system - didnt really check them out.
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Thank you to Laker, bigdipper and Ray for your responses. This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
ewagman

Re: Buying a new Born Free - Looking for advice

Post by ewagman »

bbwolf wrote: Anyone have experience with a tow vehicle for this model? Been looking for the lightest 4wd/AWD vehicles I can and they look to be between 3,000lbs curb weight up to 4,500lbs curb weight.
If you can take the time to find a nice one, the Geo-Chevy-Suzuki Tracker is probably the lightest 4wd vehicle out there. The most fun, reliable AWD is a somewhat heavier WRX/STI.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

We tow a 2000 Chevy tracker and we love it. the 4WD has gotten us out of trouble several times, and we carried a spare for our Born Free in the back for a long time until we needed a back seat for passengers once, and we never replaced the spare. Our brake system is an SMI that requires NO change when the toad is un-hooked for single use. Why a Tracker ? Because the dealer had one all set up and available.
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Thank you ewagman and bill. Zeroing in on the Roadmaster All Terrain. A friend is changing to an always installed and ready brake system for his Toad, so he is going to give me his Blue Ox Apollo portable brake unit for the Toad. My plan is to practice with it once we settle on the Toad vehicle.

We went to Sequim, Washington on Tuesday and were lucky enough to have Joe and Fran Dieu allow us to look at their 2010 Rear Side Kitchen unit. (thanks to Joe and Fran for being so friendly). This sold the wife on the floor plan.

Now, I get to work with Ed and start defining all the specifics. Very exciting time.

We are really open to any and all advice people have. What would be on your wish list? Thanks again to all who have posted and we appreciate any additional comments and advice.
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

My wish list of options I would add: inverter and heated tanks.

Two I would talk to the factory of adding: a battery monitor and an in-line surge suppressor. (if the newer models don't have these)

The inverter and battery monitor add to your boondocking ability. The heated tanks add to your cold season camping ability. The surge suppressor is especially needed if you ever travel south of the border and occasionally protects your RV from problems elsewhere.

If you plan to boondock, you could have the factory add a second battery (if there is room).
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
stevek

Post by stevek »

Regarding boon-docking...what about solar panels?
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

stevek wrote:Regarding boon-docking...what about solar panels?
Solar panels are a great addition for boondocking. I don't tend to see the factory as an expert on solar panels but it would be worthwhile, if buying a new RV, to see if you could get the factory to add the wiring to make the RV solar panel "ready".
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Thanks Mike. Will do. Solar panels (or solar ready) are on the list as well as the inverter! Appreciate the advice!

I will talk to Ed about the inline surge suppression as well!
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

A few years ago Jersey Pete (member on here) had the factory install a solar system with extra batteries and all the goodies in his new BF. I think the company was A&M Solar. Good system.
stevek

Post by stevek »

AM Solar is srill around.
http://www.amsolar.com/
I have heard good things about this company.
It is located in Oregon.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
bookie71

Post by bookie71 »

Dumb question: What is an inverter?
Thanks
Last edited by bookie71 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”