Awning Window

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ray

Awning Window

Post by Ray »

I have a window awning question. I know several folks on here have put window awnings on the drivers side of the RV and I saw several on BF's at the BF event in Humbolt last year. Some were over just one window and some covered the galley window as well

I just started looking at Dometic window awnings (cause I want it to match the other side) and I see they have two size's. I realize they have a multitude of lengths but I didn't realize they also have two different widths (if that's what you call how far it sticks out)

#1 - 30 inch arm x 39.5 inch fabric
#2 - 18 inch arm x 24 inch fabric

I have liked the ones I have seen on the BF's but I either didnt pay attention or cant remember how big they were.

I was wondering what you folks put on your RV and if there is any Pro's and Con's of the 2 different size's - or is it just preference?

I did search the forum for previous posts but couldn't find any - but that may have been due to me being computer challenged.

Thanks, Ray
NathanCook

Post by NathanCook »

We purchased our used 2003 24RB with awnings on both sides in addition to the usual full awning on the right side. We really enjoy these two smaller awnings and frankly don't use the large one unless we are intending to stay outside for long periods. The one on the left (driver side) is the longer one and covers the left dining area window as well as the kitchen window. The right side awning is over the couch-side window. Both are very easy to deploy and retract and you can even do this from the inside by opening the screen and leaning out the window. They offer real protection in bright or hot environments. Only downside was when driving through a windstorm in Arizona where the left side kept trying to open about half way. Normally, there is no problems.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Nathan, a couple of turns to increase the spring tension should help keep the awning against the coach when traveling.
bigdipper

Re: Awning Window

Post by bigdipper »

Ray wrote:I have a window awning question. I know several folks on here have put window awnings on the drivers side of the RV and I saw several on BF's at the BF event in Humbolt last year. Some were over just one window and some covered the galley window as well

I just started looking at Dometic window awnings (cause I want it to match the other side) and I see they have two size's. I realize they have a multitude of lengths but I didn't realize they also have two different widths (if that's what you call how far it sticks out)

#1 - 30 inch arm x 39.5 inch fabric
#2 - 18 inch arm x 24 inch fabric

I have liked the ones I have seen on the BF's but I either didnt pay attention or cant remember how big they were.

I was wondering what you folks put on your RV and if there is any Pro's and Con's of the 2 different size's - or is it just preference?

I did search the forum for previous posts but couldn't find any - but that may have been due to me being computer challenged.

Thanks, Ray
Ray,
Can't measure ours, but arms more more like 30 inches, definitely longer than 18 inches. We have window awnings both sides and left one extends back over smaller window. They get a lot of use.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

I installed the 30" arms as the window are fairly tall. I also wanted the awning to cover the window in late afternoon as the sun is going down. The 18" arm doesn't allow the awning to come down as low on the window.

I ordered my awing from Camping World. I bought the 84" (7'). Anything longer and it would have had to be shipped via a freight company, not UPS. That gets very expensive. Camping World didn't carry any awnings in stock, they all had to be ordered.

When you order watch the shipping very carefully to be sure it is shipped UPS or FedEx. Freight company shipping is very expensive.

Be sure to follow the measuring instructions before you order. I don't remember the details, but you can't just measure 84" and say you are good. The support arms make your attachment placements less than 84".

I did my own install. It is not overly hard. You do drill holes and they need to be well sealed. Also your work is done at the top of a ladder. If the awning is long you may want someone to hold one end while you attach the other end.

On my 2005 26 Rear Side Bed, the 84" just barely covered the drivers side big window and kitchen window. Actually it was about 1/2" to narrow at where the bottom of the support arms attached. I had to use a small piece of 1/4" plywood for a spacer around the bottom of the kitchen window.

We love the awing. It really makes a difference when sun is coming in that window.
stevek

Post by stevek »

Al, how did you know where to "hit a stud"?
If you didn't hit a stud, how did you make sure it would not come loose?

I am thinking about installing a small solar panel over the bathroom window of my BF.
Where I can lift it up as a shade, and remove it, if needed to place on ground in sun.
I wonder where the studs are?

When the weather is really cold and frosty, I can kind of make out the stud locations in the early morning.

Thanks..
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

SteveK,

The Dometic awning I bought came with an awning mounting strip that is the length of the awning (8 feet). It has holes to attach it to the wall about every 8". I didn't worry about finding studs. With that many screws going into the fairly thick fiberglass wall I don't think it will pull loose.

I did put a dab of caulking in each hole before inserting the screw to be sure there are no leaks.

Once the mounting strip is installed, the awning just slides in the grove.

About finding studs, I would think the sud finder tool from the local hardware store that is used to find studs in a house would work on the BF.
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks Al,
I was thinking of something like this..
A solar panel awning, that can be removed.
Have you ever seen this BF before and know who BFs it is?

I think he has one or more panels on the roof and then uses this panel with a 50 foot extension cord when he is parked in the shade.

How was your recent boondocking trip and how did solar work out?
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”