getting started with new (old) RV

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

larihack

Post by larihack »

Well we only needed a generator service. So for $300 we have the Onan genny up and running. Our date of departure is coming up soon. What do you experienced folks have to say about towing? In particular, we are towing our son's Mazda to Tulsa from WA. Tow dolly or car hauler? We are told we can tow somewhere between 3500 and 10,000 lbs, depending on who we ask. I'm betting on 5000.
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

I read the comment about the generator not starting. Glad to hear it is running again. Assuming your BF is a gas model, I recommend that you use StarTron fuel additive. This is an enzymatic additive that removes fuel varnish and gum in the fuel tank, gas lines, carburetor and fuel system. It also preserves the fuel for up to 2 years. There is a gas and diesel version. I have used in our 2005 BF 26 RSB diesel, Mercedes cars, Mercury outboard and lawn equipment. The product works very well.

Since motorhomes tend to sit for long periods of time, preserving the fuel is critical. Just a pre-caution: the additive will free up the varnish and gum. You may need to change your fuel filters after a tank of gas, but your problems will go away. Vehicle & generator starting and fuel mileage will most likely improve.

www.startron.com (read the testimonials)

Available at auto parts stores, Walmart, Lowe's, West Marine (larger quantities) and Amazon.
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
RV Name: Lion PAW
larihack

Post by larihack »

Thanks, ward paw. Great idea.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Glad your genny was an inexpensive fix. Fixing my genny is low on the list and things keep making it onto the list in front of it :roll:

Actually I think it is only the AC, TV, and the microwave that need the genny and can't run off the battery. My water system and lights run off of battery. Fridge, stove, and HWH run off of propane with minimal battery power. The Furnace uses propane and a good bit of battery power but if used conservatively you can do it for a few days.

Recognizing that everyone camps or RV's differently, I usually leave my house on a Friday after work and get to the campground within 3 hours. Sunday it is the reverse after lunch. I camp about once a month and there are only 2 times a year that I camp without electric hookups. When I don't have power I just don't bring microwaveable stuff and don't do it when it is too hot and would need the AC.

If the way you travel involves an overnight at a Wal-Mart or truck stop then you will not have power and may need to run the genny.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
Ray

Post by Ray »

Sea Foam is one of the better additives you can use to clean your system and stabilize your gas - there are many mechanic in a can products on the market.

One of the most important things you can do is let your gas tank run on the low side prior to getting home and make sure your last full tank is non-ethanol gas. Gas with ethanol actually starts separating and going bad in a matter of days. If your not going to be using your RV for a while its best not to have it in the tank or fuel system.

Another good idea is to put a valve on your supply line to the gen set and run the gen set dry for storage - that recommendation is also in these forum posts somewhere.
larihack

Post by larihack »

Sam Ryan wrote:
larihack wrote:Well we only needed a generator service. So for $300 we have the Onan genny up and running.
What did the service facility's 'generator service' consist of?
Well, I can't really say. They changed some filters and spark plugs and said she was good to go.
shezonit

Post by shezonit »

Ray wrote:Sea Foam is one of the better additives you can use to clean your system and stabilize your gas - there are many mechanic in a can products on the market.

One of the most important things you can do is let your gas tank run on the low side prior to getting home and make sure your last full tank is non-ethanol gas. Gas with ethanol actually starts separating and going bad in a matter of days. If your not going to be using your RV for a while its best not to have it in the tank or fuel system.

Another good idea is to put a valve on your supply line to the gen set and run the gen set dry for storage - that recommendation is also in these forum posts somewhere.
These are good ideas.
My BF sits most of the summer, so I should do that with the generator.
Dang ethanol. We all got sold down the river on that one, eh?
W3BY

Back to discussion.......

Post by W3BY »

I too am new to RVing and purchased a 1998 24 RB a couple weeks ago. I have the pleasure of going through it soon to be sure it is road worthy. I am replacing the DWV system, piece by piece, and hope that when done it provides years of service. It will be named, "Beast Hauler", as its primary purpose is to haul our motorcycle wherever our hearts desire and provide us a cozy place to rest with our girls.

Great answers to larihack's question and I am sure all that read this thread will get something useful out of it, I did.

Keep up the good responses and I am looking forward to seeing other BF owners in my travels.
W3BY

Post by W3BY »

bcope01 wrote:FIX. Doesn't sound serious, especially with such low hours. These gensets cost $4-5 grand to replace. Lots of places work on Onans, unlike Generac.

Bill
I agree!!!!!!!! Fix. Clogged filter, low oil, dirty carb. something simple I am sure. Good luck.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”