In Dash Nav & Backup Camera

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Escape

In Dash Nav & Backup Camera

Post by Escape »

New to Born Free - have 2008 BFT cab-over. Interested in purchasing an indash Nav & Backup Camera.

Any suggestions / guidance would be helpful

thank you.
Steve & Sally
2008 Born Free BFT Cabover
Dean Gradwell

Post by Dean Gradwell »

I had the factory installed Sony replaced by a Kenwood unit. More user friendly in my opinion. This was done by an audio store that works on cars and trucks.
So I know both Sony and Kenwood make what you are looking for.
2013 25' RB.
Dean
2013 Triumph
Escape

Post by Escape »

thanks Dean .... I'm going to look at a Pioneer unit tomorrow that also has connections for a backup camera. It's sold by Best Buy ... and they can install the unit ... though I'll have my RV Service Center install the camera.
Steve & Sally
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I prefer a separate GPS. I can easily replace if it quits working and I can replace if i want to upgrade. When Garmin issues upgraded software you take the GPS inside, link to your home computer and make the download. No complications from an in dash GPS. Plus you can move the GPS to another vehicle when needed.

I bought a Pioneer radio with Bluetooth from Best Buy. It has so many bells and whistles that I do not use that I now realize I could have spent a lot less. They also installed a rear view camera. It is useless. Snowy B and W picture. Complained but still unsatisfactory. If I could do it over again I would go to a good automotive electronics store.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Escape

Post by Escape »

thanks for the feedback and suggestions Dallas.
Steve & Sally
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

I have the no name unit that BF sells with Rand McNally NAV system On paper its a great unit but it has some major draw backs shared with other units:
[list]The remote is not intuitive with small hard to find buttons
All the NAV functions can only be accessed using the touch screen. This requires eyes off the road.
The return button is about as far away from the driver as possible.
The screen is easily blanked out by direct sunlight.
Many of the featured items like POI and directions are delivered in very small fonts
[/list]
And more. But these are some of the things to watch for including the way in which the back up camera is programmed. On my unit if you depress the brake pedal it switches to rear camera. This means that at lights you cannot check NAV items because you are locked into the rear camera. This is hard wired in the system and I do not have this problem with any of my Pioneer, Alpine or Audi units.

A portable, internet updated unit by Garmin is the way to go I believe if you can place it on the dash in an accessible and secure place.
Escape

Post by Escape »

thanks for the guidance ! Much appreciated ....
Steve & Sally
John S.

Post by John S. »

I had Born free put in a pioneer avic system when I bought it. I also put in a backup camera that is on all the time.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
Escape

thank you

Post by Escape »

thanks for the info .... I purchased a Kenwood system with a garmin Nav system ... also backup camera ... I get it installed next week ... fingers crossed.
Steve & Sally
rpc

Re: In Dash Nav & Backup Camera

Post by rpc »

I had BF install a SONY integrated system with rear facing camera - this was an expensive addition. I like the camera fine, but don't like the TOM TOM gps at all. Also, after about 45 days it would no longer play my iPod. I called Sony and they replaced the unit, the work to do it was at my expense. Now, 11 months later I have the same problem with the iPod. SONY is willing to replace it AGAIN, but I'll be faced with another removal/re-install cost, which is not cheap. I'm not a happy camper about this.

If I had to do it again, I definitely would not. I'd have just kept the original audio system and used a stand alone gps.
Escape

Post by Escape »

thanks for the info ....

I ended up purchasing a Kenwood Receiver (DNX571HD) - it was on sale, and, also had a $ 75 rebate. The unit has a Garmin GPS, Satellite Radio and connection for a backup camera. Sirius is currently running a special - 5 months for $ 20 ( a bargain ) so we turned it on and plan to cancel at the end of the 5 months. The backup camera is not installed yet ... the cable is about 4 feet short ... so I'm currently looking for a solution. I'm really pleased with the Kenwood Receiver, the radio, and am sure that the backup camera once connected will be a great addition.

I really appreciate all of the guidance I've received from this forum. Thanks, Steve
Steve & Sally
Ray

Post by Ray »

I dont like looking that far away from the road when the gps is mounted in the center dash that low - and its difficult to operate while flashing my eyes back and forth between gps and road - I think its nice to be able to hand the gps over to the co-pilot, when I have one - and also nice to be able to take the gps back into the RV and program/work with it when parked at a RV site..

Lots of opinions, everyone likes different stuff
Ray

Post by Ray »

This is where my GPS/back up camera are mounted. As I drive the steering wheel doesn't block the screen and it doesn't block any field of view thru the windshield. I like the fact that I really don't have to take my eyes off the road to see the GPS. Sorry for the bad pic.
Attachments
gps_1.jpg
gps_1.jpg (72.26 KiB) Viewed 13749 times

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”