Coach Battery Tray

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Steve

Post by Steve »

We are using two Trojan T125s in our new EZ Glide tray and have had no problems with checking the electrolyte in the batteries. We have a 2005 24RB.
Steve
Attachments
6V Trojans T125 small.jpg
6V Trojans T125 small.jpg (78.63 KiB) Viewed 10256 times
Ray

Post by Ray »

Ralph - You better wait for the electrician - unions are usually associated with plumbing
Ray

Post by Ray »

thats allot of amp hours - how much do these cost? - we all know 6v last longer and are tougher
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

After 9 years I recently got a new set of coach batteries from Costco. When I lifted a battery from the tray I felt the top of the battery flex at the corner as if it were coming off. The glue holding it had failed. 'Could have been a serious accident! The second battery was worse. My aha moment came when I realized this explains the yearly cleaning session with lots of baking soda, holey jeans and tee shirts and all the corrosion in the battery compartment over the years. I had thought the battery cap vents were misting under charge or not sealing properly because everything seemed to be coated with acid.

I got 2 new 6 volts from Costco, cleaned the corrosion from the old tray, painted it with spray Rustoleum, replaced the slides with 200#, 16", full extension slides (~$50) and added a 10" extension to the positive cables. The old tray has several areas where the corrosion has completely eaten through the steel; however it remains structurally capable of supporting the new batteries and the connections to the slides so I did not replace it.

The positive electrode had 2 cables with heavy duty lugs attached. I crimped a new copper lug to each end of my extension and bolted one end to the 2 existing cable lugs and covered the splice with heavy duty heat shrink wrap. The lugs used are equivalent to the lugs used on the OEM cables from the factory. I'm not concerned that this splice contributes anymore risk than any of the other lugged cable ends used in this Born Free.

The automotive sales tech at Costco told me the Costco batteries were Interstate even though they weren't labeled. The original batteries from BF were also Interstate. I hope the new ones stay sealed!

See pictures for details.
Attachments
BatteryTraySlides.JPG
BatteryTraySlides.JPG (163.75 KiB) Viewed 10120 times
Cable Splice.jpg
Cable Splice.jpg (103.93 KiB) Viewed 10120 times
Cable Lugs.JPG
Cable Lugs.JPG (209.92 KiB) Viewed 10120 times
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Trix

Post by Trix »

I have two 6V AGM batteries, 300 amp hours. Installed at AM Solar when I had the solar panels put on.

They took out the old battery tray and put the AGM's on their side. They built a wood frame around them so they don't slide around. I can take a picture once it stops raining if anyone is interested.

Love my solar panels and my AGM batteries.
Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
learning RV'g in my 2007 24' RB
2011 Subaru Forester toad
Ray

Post by Ray »

Trix - I am interested - I assume the 300 AH is the combination of the two? - Thanx, Ray
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Keep in mind that for 6 volt batteries when connected in series that the voltage doubles but the amp-hour rating remains the same. So, two 6 volt 300ah batteries will produce 12 volts 300ah.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
Trix

Post by Trix »

OK, I hope this works. I think I have the image resized to fit correctly.

BTW, these are 6V 300 AH each, so total of 300 AH capacity in 12V system. The batteries are Lifeline GPL-6CT. http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/rvflyer.php?id=15
Attachments
BF batteries (640x480).jpg
BF batteries (640x480).jpg (184.78 KiB) Viewed 9979 times
Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
Ray

Post by Ray »

Trix - Thanks

Nice fit with room to spare

I have 12v now but someday want to get solar panels (which I dont know much about) and I am thinking 6V is the way to go when I do that..

I wasn't thinking straight on the amperage - Got it now.

So right now I am just compiling ideas/suggestions

Thanks again, Ray
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

Trix

I seems to me that the water ports and electrical connections side of your batteries should be in horizontal position. :?: :?:
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

The batteries are AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat). AGM batteries are sealed and can be mounted in any position except upside down. They are similar to a gel battery.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
Ray

Post by Ray »

Tom

Yes similar - But we were always told gel had to be mounted upright - I could be wrong ????
Trix

Post by Trix »

AGM's are the only ones that can go on their sides. Except now that I think about it, dunno about lithium. Can't afford 'em anyway :D
Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Ray wrote:Tom

Yes similar - But we were always told gel had to be mounted upright - I could be wrong ????
Ray, I did some searching on the net and the general consensus seems to be that mounting a gel battery on its side can reduce capacity by up to 10%. Gel batteries are not recommended for RV use because they can be permanently damaged if charged at too high of current, such as from the vehicle alternator.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
stevek

Post by stevek »

Good info Tom.

Born Free Factory should make their battery compartment taller to accommodate the 6 volt golf cart batteries.
On my 2011, these batteries are not an option due to height limitations of the battery compartment.
Even with the battery rack removed, these batteries would not fit.

Just wish I had the option, thats all.
Besides AGM laid on their sides.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”