Input for coach absent of Spare tire

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Mrrlyn

Re: Input for coach absent of Spare tire

Post by Mrrlyn »

Thanks for the feedback! I saw in the For Sale section a BF with the spare out front - martyshere2 posted https://gulfport.craigslist.org/rvs/5938447174.html, and I messaged him, but nothing yet. Yeah, It certainly looks like it would impede airflow, but I didn't know how much it would impact real-world cooling. Where we live (hilly/mountainous Northern California), the need for summer cooling efficiency would be something we wouldn't want to sacrifice much of, but it's certainly a tempting addition. Maybe if I can mount it low enough, it can work as an air ram INTO the radiator? or keep the spare out front in winter, and somewhere else in summer...
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

Justin,

You have a diesel engine and may not be in dire straits for weight on the on the front axle. Cooling for the transmission would be my biggest concern with the location of the front mounted spare. If you have a transmission temperature gauge, you can watch it and see how much the spare tire affects the airflow with and without the tire mounted in front. If there is no transmission temp gauge, you might want to measure the temperature of the transmission pan after pulling a hill with a handheld IR temp gauge.

If you go with the front mounted spare, I really like your idea of “spare out front in winter, and somewhere else in summer.”

Chuck
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

There has been discussion before on the front mounted spare.

Here is one link:

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... ont#p22561

Quickly found this by using the "Search" function at the top of the page with "Front mounted spare" as the search topic. I encourage others to use the search function.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

IMG_20170126_140549.jpg
IMG_20170126_140549.jpg (80.71 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
IMG_20170126_140615.jpg
IMG_20170126_140615.jpg (79.36 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
Here is our spare as done by the original owner. Access to the rear storage is still there and when lowering the rear you have a place to either carry spare items or use as a platform for whatever your needs at the campsite. It is home made but works perfectly. We have not needed the spare but it's there if needed.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
Mrrlyn

Post by Mrrlyn »

Interesting setup, Tahoe! Reminds me of a jeep setup. I like it (except the weight off the back), since we are considering adding a second generator that can roll out of the rear storage and out away from the RV (dry camping noise-proofing), and we'd be adding some material to make a fold-down ramp off the back anyways. Maybe I can sling the extra house batteries up as close to the front axle as I can to help with weight loading...
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

Mrrlyn wrote:Interesting setup, Tahoe! Reminds me of a jeep setup. I like it (except the weight off the back), since we are considering adding a second generator that can roll out of the rear storage and out away from the RV (dry camping noise-proofing), and we'd be adding some material to make a fold-down ramp off the back anyways. Maybe I can sling the extra house batteries up as close to the front axle as I can to help with weight loading...
Since this what we've always had I haven't noticed a weight problem. The spare is heavy that's for sure, but the rack isn't very heavy. I'm sure I would notice the difference if I removed it but so far it isn't an issue. Access to the rear storage is not an issue when the tire swings out, but you do have to reach a little. I carry a grill back there which isn't too heavy.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”